When pulled over do you tell LEO that you are carrying when not required? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: When pulled over do you tell LEO that you are carrying when not required?

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    As this discussion shows, the answer really depends on the state you are in, including state laws, the general LEO's attitude in that particular state, and the particular LEO's attitude on that day. For me, there is no duty to inform in TN, but the DMV database includes the HCP information. So, after checking my DL the next question by the LEO will be: "I see you have a Handgun Carry Permit. Are you carrying one right now?"

See tnoutdoors9 experience on volunteering his information during a stop:
    A few things: don't keep the papers you will need to produce on a traffic stop in the same storage area as your handgun; do not invite a cop into your car (once you do, you have given up the right of your 4th Amendment); if the officer was really worried about your handgun and didn't want you reaching for it, then why didn't she secure it?; and last, yes you should have said, "well if I'm free to go then have a nice day".
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
    When they run my drivers license it will show that I have a CCP so I would tell them up front.
    It says you have a CCP, it does not say you are carrying at that moment. No computer in the world would have that information. Do not give up any information unless required by law.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Quote Originally Posted by superprincess View Post
    I am not sure but I would think an actual BG would lie to the LEO, if asked. Or pull his weapon and start shooting.
    But still if I was LEO I would ask everyone I pulled over.
    By your own statement then, what you are saying is you would badger only the good guys, right? The BG wouldn't tell you only the good guy would (if required to respond in such way by law), therefore, if you ask everyone, only the good guy gets bullied by you, the LEO in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I work as a security patrol officer and contact several people on a nightly basis including several in vehicles. I don't feel the need to ask them about weapons unless A) They were already doing something illegal when I walked up.; B) shifting around a lot and acting suspicious including putting their hands into areas that I cannot see or C) I'm getting ready to put cuffs on. After a little experience contacting people in such environments you get a pretty good intuition whether somebody's a threat or not. If I ask somebody if they have any weapons on them and they say yes, the first thing I do is ask if they have a CCW permit. If they say yes, no worry's continue to keep your hands in plain sight and we won't have a problem. If they say no, they go in cuffs immediately, police are contacted and I secure the weapon until they get there. BTW, this is all specific to concealed carry, I've never had to contact an open carrier at work although I imagine I'd be a pleasant experience and nothing would come of it. To this date nobody I've contacted that I've asked about weapons has had a CPL, they all been carrying illegally.
    And what if they say "no" and you put them in cuffs, and they don't have a weapon? It sounds to me that this is a very real possibility, and as such, you would have detained them, cuffed them, and then went "oh, my mistake". By your statement, you pretty much only gave two possibilities, someone with a legal weapon, and someone with an illegal weapon. I find it odd that you might not encounter someone that "seems" suspicious who is not carrying, yet that person would also be someone that gets cuffed.

I am certainly not. Growing up in a communist country, I had my personal share of unfriendly-to-scary encounters with so-called law enforcement. Freedom ain't free. I fought for mine in 1989, which was certainly more difficult, risky, and painful than what the guy in the video did.

Once again, you are making assumptions. Try not to judge people you know nothing about.
    What does you growing up in a Communist country have to do with the fact that in this country our Constitution reiterates the rights endowed to us by our Creator that are inalienable (meaning: the government cannot take them away)? The Constitution limits the power of government and its henchmen (LEO), whereas in Communist countries the henchmen do have more authority than the citizenry. You do not have to be as forthright with your personal effects and papers here in this country as you may have been used to elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post
    Based on the suggestion of a County Sheriff LT, I will just hand them my FCWL at the same time when they ask for my license. My issue is not the firearm I carry 24/365, it is that I carry my phone and wallet in a rig called a e-Holster, which is based on a shoulder holster design. I have been Terry-stopped (including traffic) 5 times because of the rig, and was carrying concealed in 4 of them.
    1. getting your legal advice from a cop is not very wise
    2. ditch the phone holster

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    All the more reason for some (or most) of us to be incredulous over you criticizing the college kid doing something for the cause of freedom while implying that he should've done nothing and just complied. What else might the dismissive allusion to his "15 minutes of fame" mean?

I congratulate you for escaping a commie country, but I'll thank you not to encourage our slowly-awakening citizenry to lay down and go back to sleep, and have no idea how someone who knows how completely ever-expanding and intrusive government can destroy freedoms would view that video as the victim being some kind of abusive instigator towards the cops.

It's just weird.

Blues
    I didn't escape. I participated in a revolution. That's why I want people to think about the freedoms they have and those that are taken away, step-by-step. I am simply just not impressed by this video.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    What does you growing up in a Communist country have to do with the fact that in this country our Constitution reiterates the rights endowed to us by our Creator that are inalienable (meaning: the government cannot take them away)? The Constitution limits the power of government and its henchmen (LEO), whereas in Communist countries the henchmen do have more authority than the citizenry. You do not have to be as forthright with your personal effects and papers here in this country as you may have been used to elsewhere.
    I was speaking about my personal experience with law enforcement encounters during that time as part of the discussion that went sideways. There is a difference between standing up to a police officer knowing that you live in a country that has a Constitution limiting the powers of government, and standing up to a police officer and fearing for your live and the live of your family and friends knowing that you do not have any rights. I have done both in my live. That still doesn't mean I am going to be confrontational (or submissive) with a police officer on every encounter. The actual situation will define my response.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    I didn't escape. I participated in a revolution. That's why I want people to think about the freedoms they have and those that are taken away, step-by-step. I am simply just not impressed by this video.
    Have you ever heard the phrase "reasonable articulable suspicion," and if you have, could you try to define it for us, and if you will, would you please relate that definition to the video that you posted and criticized the victim of a cop who had none? Thanks.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    And what if they say "no" and you put them in cuffs, and they don't have a weapon? It sounds to me that this is a very real possibility, and as such, you would have detained them, cuffed them, and then went "oh, my mistake". By your statement, you pretty much only gave two possibilities, someone with a legal weapon, and someone with an illegal weapon. I find it odd that you might not encounter someone that "seems" suspicious who is not carrying, yet that person would also be someone that gets cuffed.
    I'm not sure I understand your question. If somebody tells me they have a concealed firearm on them but that they do not have a permit hence they are carrying illegally, yes I'm going to put them in cuffs. If it turns out they were lying and didn't have a firearm it's not really my problem that they got cuffed is it? They lied about committing a felony. At that point I just turn em over to police and they can deal with them how they see fit.

If they answered "no" and said they do not have a weapon on them the only reason I would be cuffing them is because I observed them committing a felony, or I ran a warrant check on them and they came back felony outstanding. Again, I'm security, I don't just cuff anybody I feel like it "for my safety". Unlike LEOs, I'd be charged with unlawful detainment.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast