Travelling through Illinois - WITH A GUN!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling through Illinois - WITH A GUN!!!

1. Travelling through Illinois - WITH A GUN!!!

Driving from Michigan to Utah...I am a Michigan resident and have a CPL. We have reciprocity the whole way except Illinois.

I was planning on sticking the Glock 19 (15 round magazine) unloaded and in the trunk for Illinois. Is this legally OK? If pulled over in Illinois should I tell the officer about the gun in the trunk?

Obviously the rest of the states I carry like normal. I really don't want to drive around all of Illinois...takes me really far south...

Thanks guys.

3. You don't have to if you have a permit in your state. You can carry but only in your car

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

4. Can he carry it loaded on his hip?

Honestly, I would leave it unloaded in your trunk while you drive through Illinois, while it may sound bad, I would not notify an LEO [in Illinois]. If he does not have probable cause to search, then dont allow him to search your vehicle, remain respectful and get the stop over as fast as possible. OR, go around Illinois, find the quickest route through the state, and dont stop until the sign kicks you in the butt.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

6. Yeah, I have no need to go through there but that is what I would do also.

Quote Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
    Can he carry it loaded on his hip?
    Yes, concealed carry anywhere in the car is okay, including on the hip.

FOPA is your friend, google it, read it, memorize it and follow it to a T and you should have no problems

9. Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    FOPA is your friend, google it, read it, memorize it and follow it to a T and you should have no problems
    Looks like that says I cannot be prosecuted while travelling for a firearms related offense having it unloaded and inaccessible to me. Thanks.

10. I have posted this several times. This is from the I'll. state police site at

Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

"Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act."

I have called and verified this. Yes you can have it loaded. It even applies if you are on a motorcycle. Just place it in your saddle bag if you dismont.

11. kwc says Yes, concealed carry anywhere in the car is okay, including on the hip. Unless he is from Illinois and knows something the rest of us don't. If you conceal carry in Illinois you better hope you don't even see a cop. FOPA only covers you traveling through a state, you cannot stop for anything except as needed, for gas, meals, etc. You can NOT stop overnight. You cannot carry concealed or open unless it is allowed by that state. You must have all firearms in a locked container outside of the reach of all passengers. Ammunition must also be in a separate locked container. This applies to all states that you do not have a carry permit for.

Last bit of advice. Check with the Ill. attorney general, they are still in the process of writing their law.

I have to travel through Illinois to visit family in MA. I am extra careful in ILL and NY and MA.

No weapon in history ever acted on it's own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast