A Positive Encounter with a Young Arizona State Trooper
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Positive Encounter with a Young Arizona State Trooper

A Positive Encounter with a Young Arizona State Trooper

So early this year a main road south of town collapsed and the State paved on old dirt road across the Navajo reservation that gets folks in and out of town. Speed limits have been real slow due to construction and lack of right-of-way fencing had cattle and horses on the road. All that's done now and they put the speed limit at 55mph. Other road was 65mph. Anyway, today I'm coming home from out of town and anxious to get to an appointment and crept up to 65mph. Came over the hill to a Trooper going the other way. He hit his lights and I just pulled over and waited for his U turn.

Being a former LEO I wanna make this easy so I'm nice, greet him politely, and hand him my driver's license and concealed carry card. He looks at the later and asks what's on board. Tell him a NAA mini .22 revolver, a Sig 938, a Sig P226 Navy, and a brand new Sig 1911 Ultra-compact that I bought yesterday. (Yes it sounds like the "I ain't afraid of anything" joke). Turns out he loves Sigs too and we had a long chat about the various merits of Sig vs. other brands.

He had me cold and figured on a ticket, but came away with a warning.

Weird thing is the P226 Navy was holstered and laying in the passenger seat where he could see it clearly from his position outside the passenger door.

After watching all the You Tubes where they tell you how to deal with traffic stops or some young guy gets oppositional at a traffic stop, this one was enjoyable. Gotta love the officer's positive attitude.

Are you saying you "wanna make this easy" so you informed him you are carrying, or you "wanna make this easy" so you told him you had a permit with a gun holstered on the front seat, or you "wanna make this easy" so you handed him a permit in a state that doesn't even require them.

I am confused as to why you handed the LEO your concealed weapon's permit at all. This doesn't compute into my idea of wanting to make things go "easy".

I'll concede that being nice and polite is a good start to making things go "easy", but what does bringing up your firearms during a routine traffic stop have anything to do about making anything "easy". You were fortunate and had an experience with a pleasant trooper. However, you could have had a badge hungry jack booted thug who felt it was necessary to disarm you during this stop since, in AZ, the police are given that authority to do so when they are informed that someone is carrying during a detainment.

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience, but I would never bring up something that has nothing to do with the reason I'm being stopped. Because things could get real "uneasy" after that. They could disarm you (extra handling of handguns is never a way to make things easy), they could try to unload the weapon (more handling), if they don't know how to unload the weapon they could damage it (definitely not an easy way to go), they could point their weapon at you to ask you to step out of the vehicle to disarm you (sound easy to you), or they could just mistreat your handgun while being detained for what,.... speeding? This does not sound like the "easy" way to go.

Granted, he would have seen, if he was the least bit good at his job, the firearm on the front seat. But why offer him everything? If he inquires, then tell him. In AZ, the permit is rather meaningless and you just opened Pandora's box.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

4. Riverkilt had a gun sitting on the seat in view of the LEO. Hmmmm... I think letting the officer know you have a permit for the thing might be a little tidbit you want to offer. Just because you don't have to disclose information doesn't mean there is never a time where you should. I guess you'd rather have the LEO freak out and draw on you instead. I guess it would be a lot more fun that way.

5. Quote Originally Posted by croute View Post
    Riverkilt had a gun sitting on the seat in view of the LEO. Hmmmm... I think letting the officer know you have a permit for the thing might be a little tidbit you want to offer. Just because you don't have to disclose information doesn't mean there is never a time where you should. I guess you'd rather have the LEO freak out and draw on you instead. I guess it would be a lot more fun that way.
    That almost makes sense, actually it would make sense anywhere but Arizona because you don't have to have a concealed carry permit there.

I'm required to inform by law but I've never actually had to do it
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

6. Ah, I didn't know that. I need to move to AZ.

In New Mexico. A vehicle is a extension of your home. So you can have all kinds of firearms in your car. I have dealt with police with a pistol, a rifle and a shotgun all in plain sight. Here, as well in Arizona it's really no big deal. I also lived in Arizona before they became a Constitution carry state. Typically they ask me what kind of guns are they, more out of curiosity then any thing else. Once a NM State trouper asked about my XD-357 SIG. I told him what it was, he said good round that is what we carry. (They don't anymore they went back to 9mm). Now if you were California that may have ended differently.

8. Quote Originally Posted by croute View Post
    Ah, I didn't know that. I need to move to AZ.
    I've considered it but my family has lived here since the early 1800s
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

Jeez Louise...."easier" because I was a LEO myself and get it...come from an LEO family of generations...wanna make it easier because I've been in his shoes and respect the risk he's taking every time he walks up to a car.

Of course you don't need a permit to conceal in Arizona - but you CAN still get one if you want one. Since I live close to the Four Corners area and am often in Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico (yes I know the deal with Nevada now) I have a permit and its sure handy over the line. In fact, I went ahead and got it just when they announced you don't need one.

Is there anything one can post on this forum without being jumped as being stupid and wrong? It was a nice encounter considering I had four guns on board and three of them were loaded and within my reach.

dstryr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Jeez Louise....

Is there anything one can post on this forum without being jumped as being stupid and wrong?

I agree, you'd think the effort would be put to better use educating and converting non-2Aers, and not spent being running down members here.

Big picture, it feeds the ego of a small number of LEO with the "I am the law" mentality who may intimidate or clearly abuse authority when dealing with the public. Spend the energy reigning in that problem, put a stop to qualified immunity, and get it into people's heads that authority is granted by the people, not the mayor, not the chief of police, and certainly not the commander in chief of our armed forces.

Quote Originally Posted by croute View Post
    Riverkilt had a gun sitting on the seat in view of the LEO. Hmmmm... I think letting the officer know you have a permit for the thing might be a little tidbit you want to offer. Just because you don't have to disclose information doesn't mean there is never a time where you should. I guess you'd rather have the LEO freak out and draw on you instead. I guess it would be a lot more fun that way.
    In AZ no one needs a permit, therefore, the permit itself is a meaningless gesture.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast