Self Defense or the Defense of Others? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense or the Defense of Others?

1. Twice I've stepped into a family dispute. Both times the woman turned on be and grabbed me by the hair. I'm old and my hair is thin enough without help. I'd have to know all the facts and be sure it was safe and prudent to step in.

I've thought about this quite often and have come to the conclusion that my primary reason for carrying is for the defense of myself and family/friends with me. As previously stated there could be too many unknown variables in play for me to act in "defense" of another that I do not know and, henceforth, I would be hesitant to act. If the circumstances are obvious (such as a guy walking around the store I'm at shooting random people) I would likely take action but I'm not going to escalate any situation. I'm sure as heck not going to risk my life to save some business their money - they can always recoup their losses. If I'm dead (or anyone for that matter) nothing is going to bring us back.

Before defending someone make sure you know who's who. Don't get caught between 2 bangers or between undercover LE and perps. Don't interrupt a robbery. The business is insured.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

5. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Before defending someone make sure you know who's who. Don't get caught between 2 bangers or between undercover LE and perps. Don't interrupt a robbery. The business is insured.
    Sound advice...
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by telpinaro View Post
    There are very limited circumstances where I would help strangers, simply because it's very difficult to know exactly what the situation is. If you pick the wrong "victim" to help (might have been the original instigator) you could wind up in legal trouble... lots of people will be only too happy to overlook what you would have seen. Also, it wouldn't be fun to shoot an undercover cop or to blow his cover. Not a very likely scenario, but you never know...

I carry to keep my family safe. Self defense is the responsibility of each individual, whether they want to accept it or not.
    I agree. If you are not sure what the situation is you can open yourself up for a world of hurt legally.

Don't end up like that guy

Why anyone would risk dying (or possibly causing the death of others) over the contents of a convenience store register till, I'll never know. Intervening when you (or your loved ones) are not threatened carries enormous risk. As an individual citizen you have no public commission or duty to defend others or their property. There will be no forgiveness if you are mistaken and innocents are hurt as a consequence of your action. I will defend myself and loved ones/friends with me from a direct threat. I will otherwise only intervene to stop mayhem, murder, and atrocity, if I can. An armed robbery, by itself, does not rise to that level. To intervene in an armed robbery when you are not directly threatened is to make assumptions regarding the welfare of others that I don't think you're entitled to. In the situation presented in the OP, I believe Mr. Holden (RIP) made a poor choice that needlessly resulted in his death and could also have resulted in the death of the clerk/owner as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    Why anyone would risk dying (or possibly causing the death of others) over the contents of a convenience store register till, I'll never know.
    The robber had a gun to the clerks head so it was not just to save the till.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Bryant View Post
    I've thought about this quite often and have come to the conclusion that my primary reason for carrying is for the defense of myself and family/friends with me. As previously stated there could be too many unknown variables in play for me to act in "defense" of another that I do not know and, henceforth, I would be hesitant to act. If the circumstances are obvious (such as a guy walking around the store I'm at shooting random people) I would likely take action but I'm not going to escalate any situation. I'm sure as heck not going to risk my life to save some business their money - they can always recoup their losses. If I'm dead (or anyone for that matter) nothing is going to bring us back.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by JCliff View Post
    Why anyone would risk dying (or possibly causing the death of others) over the contents of a convenience store register till, I'll never know. Intervening when you (or your loved ones) are not threatened carries enormous risk. As an individual citizen you have no public commission or duty to defend others or their property. There will be no forgiveness if you are mistaken and innocents are hurt as a consequence of your action. I will defend myself and loved ones/friends with me from a direct threat. I will otherwise only intervene to stop mayhem, murder, and atrocity, if I can. An armed robbery, by itself, does not rise to that level. To intervene in an armed robbery when you are not directly threatened is to make assumptions regarding the welfare of others that I don't think you're entitled to. In the situation presented in the OP, I believe Mr. Holden (RIP) made a poor choice that needlessly resulted in his death and could also have resulted in the death of the clerk/owner as well.
    Couldn't have said it better. Thank you. I feel the same. I'm not letting anyone be harmed but I'm not inclined to intervene in robberies or others' personal affairs.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast