Just Applied for a CCW Permit - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Applied for a CCW Permit

Not glad about the total, not including one time course, is $110, but after reading how others are getting charged, we are not that bad. I would love it to be $20 too although I do think it should be free minus the actual cost of the background check. Other tax payers shouldn't pay for my application. How much is a background check? I doubt it is $110!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's $52.50 for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation + $60 for the County Sheriff for the background checks and processing fees where I live. A basic NRA handgun or similar course with a certified trainer that includes shooting time on a range is the minimum requirement. They take your photo for the permit and get fingerprints for your file. No questions about what you're carrying or why, no serial numbers, etc... Colorado is a "must issue" state, barring any past record that would most likely prohibit you from owning a firearm anyway. The process can take up to 90 days from application to receipt of the permit and is valid for 5 years.

Our Sheriff has been very outspoken against the magazine restrictions and other anti-gun laws implemented earlier this year in Colorado. He and a vast majority of other Colorado Sheriff's have filed a lawsuit to get them repealed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In Ohio cost is $67 and is good for 5 years. I went to an adjacent county and got mine in 2 days (takes too long in my home county). Plus the Sheriff Deputy that took the application was an instructor with the group that I took the CCW class with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hh610 View Post
    In Ohio cost is $67 and is good for 5 years. I went to an adjacent county and got mine in 2 days (takes too long in my home county). Plus the Sheriff Deputy that took the application was an instructor with the group that I took the CCW class with.
    Awesome! In WV one has to apply with their home county Sheriff's Department. Luckily my 3-4 week quote is better than my friend's 60 day quote in the neighboring county.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
    Not glad about the total, not including one time course, is $110, but after reading how others are getting charged, we are not that bad. I would love it to be $20 too although I do think it should be free minus the actual cost of the background check. Other tax payers shouldn't pay for my application. How much is a background check? I doubt it is $110!

I'm only addressing the part in bold. You have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms. The permit/license system is an infringement on that right. If you can legally have a weapon, then there should be no government obligation to pass yet another "test", "training course", "background check", etc. to exercise that right.

You have already been through a background check to legally purchase said weapon, now we need another background check to carry a little card with me that says I can carry the weapon that I just had a background check to purchase????
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I agree. I heard WV might change the law to no waiting period on a firearm purchase if one has a concealed weapon permit.

8. Im on my way to NC is there any thing you can think if that will help make my move smother i am military and have my Utah CCP.

Quote Originally Posted by NYwill15 View Post
    I'm a NC State Concealed Handgun Instructor, and when I moved into this State it took me 3 weeks to get mine. NC concealed gun laws have changed for the better. Thanks to a newly elected Republican government. Our permits are also good for 5 years. The 2nd amendment guarantee's our right to keep and bear arms, but it doesn't say anything about having the right to conceal it. Concealment is just a better and safer way to carry a handgun for self defense. People get freaked out when they see open carry, plus it makes you a possible target for bad guys wanting a gun. So always know your gun laws for whatever state you're carrying your gun in. Ignorance isno eexcuse.

9. I was chatting with a private detective in Georgia. She was bemoaning all the hoops and cost she had to go through to get her permit to carry. She had been at the process for most of a year. She asked what it took in my state, and I said $20 and a current picture. She may still be crying.... She'd really be crying if she knew that my state has reciprocity with hers, and my $20 permit allows me to carry in Georgia...

But is that for her being a private detective or is it the norm in GA?

Just Applied for a CCW Permit

I'm in Ga, and I mine was $75 for 5 years. Took it a few weeks to arrive in the mail. No SSN or firearm serial number required.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast