Best "pocket" pistol - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best "pocket" pistol

1. Kimber Solo. I carry one year round. My son and I both have one and we have never had one issue with either pistol. Love my SOLO!

3. Quote Originally Posted by northstar19 View Post
    "And I would like it be a semiauto and have at least 6 shots and obviously keep it light, and small. So I guess the question is... which one and why?"

I myself own a Beretta Bobcat (fine little gun), but I carry two Ruger LCPs, one in each front pocket.
    You CC two LCPs? Just curious why?

Even with my Hogue rubber grip, I wouldn't want to one-hand fire the LCP unless I had no other choice. And certainly not with my weak hand...

If it is the lack of ammo, why not just carry an extra clip?

4. Quote Originally Posted by tourproto View Post
    You CC two LCPs? Just curious why?

Even with my Hogue rubber grip, I wouldn't want to one-hand fire the LCP unless I had no other choice. And certainly not with my weak hand...

If it is the lack of ammo, why not just carry an extra clip?
    For back up. The first gun can jam, not just run out of ammo. Also, balance. One in each pocket, and I can carry more comfortably.

Sig P938 in an Alabama pocket holster. It is fine unless you wear tight jeans. Super in cargo style /shorts pants or loose fitting slacks with pleated fronts.

I carry a Keltc pa3at which is about as big as I can carry I my pocket , I have other guns that carry iwb
    never leave your cave ... without your club Mark Walters

7. Quote Originally Posted by northstar19 View Post
    Some of these pistols are fine, but not really for pocket carry.
    Agreed. Unfortunately, while the 10 - 12 oz pocket mice (LCP, BodyGuard etc.) fit in small, tight pockets, the have insufficient weight to absorb the recoil of even a .380 ACP, which seems to require more like 17+ oz to tame it. Again unfortunately, a 17+ oz .380 (e.g. LC380) requires a good sized pocket e.g. a cargo pocket or coat pocket.

There are NO 9 mm choices suitable for pockets, since 9 mm requires closer to 2 lbs (27 - 32 oz) to tame the recoil ... which will drag one's pants down like a plumber's crack!

Consider two of the most popular "pocket pistols". I have both - Revolver, a Ruger KLCR .357mag/.38spl. I know you are not a Ruger fan, but this is not your typical Ruger. Variable ammo choices, lightweight (17oz), reliable, sleek (no catchy parts), and fun to shoot. As for a Semi-Auto - Kahr CM9. Has 9mm power, lightweight, compact, reliable, and reasonably priced. Both are excellent, accurate, and durable, best in each class, IMHO. Good luck.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill

9. "Agreed. Unfortunately, while the 10 - 12 oz pocket mice (LCP, BodyGuard etc.) fit in small, tight pockets, the have insufficient weight to absorb the recoil of even a .380 ACP, which seems to require more like 17+ oz to tame it. Again unfortunately, a 17+ oz .380 (e.g. LC380) requires a good sized pocket e.g. a cargo pocket or coat pocket."
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Discoveror, I think you are exactly right. Therefore, I advocate the "double eagle" grip for such pocket guns as the KelTec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. Thumbs crossing over, with the left forefinger wrapped around the trigger guard. (Or right forefinger, for lefthanders.) This grip not only helps to handle the recoil, but also gives extra leverage to pull the extra long trigger. Makes a world of difference.

10. " Therefore, I advocate the "double eagle" grip for such pocket guns as the KelTec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. Thumbs crossing over, with the left forefinger wrapped aound the trigger guard. (Or right forefinger, for lefthanders.) This grip not only helps to handle the recoil, but also gives extra leverage to pull the extra long trigger. Makes a world of difference."

I have never heard or read of this grip I will have to try it. I use the revolver grip. It works well , but I am always looking for something better.

Still, I don't find these pocket pistols that bad to shoot. I shoot both my bodyguard and LCP ( houge grip on LCP and Talon on the Bodyguard if it matters) all the time with one hand as well. It's slower to get back on target than 2 hands but really for myself I just hold it tight

Go Seahawks!

Quote Originally Posted by northstar19 View Post
    Some of these pistols are fine, but not really for pocket carry. The Nano, for instance. Excellent for concealed carry, in an IWB holster perhaps, but too big and too heavy for pocket carry. If you're already carrying a Bobcat .22, and want to move up to a higher caliber, possibly the best all-round pocket pistol is the Ruger LCP, which is, of course, chambered in .380. It actually weighs less than the Bobcat and has an even slimmer profile. The LCP carries the same number of rounds (6), but hits much harder: 9mm short. I myself own a Beretta Bobcat (fine little gun), but I carry two Ruger LCPs, one in each front pocket.
    I was thinking of waiting on the Beretta Pico for that reason. When I go IWB (on the hip in a paddle) its my Sig 225, Kimber Compact or my Glock 21. I was looking for pocket carry as hot weather and/or backup carry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast