Carrying a gun for ego? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carrying a gun for ego?

I'm in an OC and/or CC state, constitutional carry, no permit required for either. Winter, always CC. Summer. (usually about 2 months) I OC. Simply I prefer CC, but when in shorts and a tee shirt, kinda tough.
    The funny part is that in the summer, mostly local folks are here. Winter, all the weirdo's from NYC, CT, Mass show up, so it's good to cc. In the fall, there is generally a rifle or shotgun also in the rack in the back of the truck. The 'furriners' look at you like you're crazy, tho the younger folks think it's cool. Mom and dad, ehhhh not so much. Their eyes do bulge out at the grocery store when you pull your jacket back far enough to get your wallet. I just nod, and smile and say 'HI'. No instruction needed, none given.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    My unashamed, and likely very unpopular, personal opinion...

Unfortunately I think there are people who think CC gives them some kind of super secret mystical magical "edge" that makes them "feel" like they don't have to be afraid of bad guys.... never understanding that both open carry and concealed carry have the same... bad guy sees his victim has a gun... "element of surprise".
    Bikenut.
    You make several good points especially the second point, but I do take issue with your first. How do you come to the conclusion "that both open carry and concealed carry have the same... bad guy sees his victim has a gun... "element of surprise". I don't mean to take this out of context or start a flame war. But I typically carry concealed, I typically do so for the exact reason you mentioned. I don't think there's anything magical or mystical about it. I just figure if the gun is hidden I'm less likely to be the first one shot when some douche decides to knock over the convenience store while I am buying a pack of Twinkies.

I'm concerned with keeping the body and mind that contains my ego alive, but that's about as far as my consideration of ego goes.
    www.inshadowinlight.com
    I don't care as much about making you more "tactical" as I do about making you better able to be the one still standing after the fight is over.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhayse View Post
    Bikenut.
    You make several good points especially the second point, but I do take issue with your first. How do you come to the conclusion "that both open carry and concealed carry have the same... bad guy sees his victim has a gun... "element of surprise". I don't mean to take this out of context or start a flame war. But I typically carry concealed, I typically do so for the exact reason you mentioned. I don't think there's anything magical or mystical about it. I just figure if the gun is hidden I'm less likely to be the first one shot when some douche decides to knock over the convenience store while I am buying a pack of Twinkies.
    First of all folks asking questions should never result in a flame war... but should always result in having the question answered.

So please think about the following...

About that "element of surprise" thing..........

CC and OC have the very same "element of surprise" because the "element of surprise" is really nothing more than the bad guy being "surprised" to discover his intended victim ..... has a gun.

With CC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with after the bad guy has already chosen his victim and the attack is already in progress and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide to stop the attack.

With OC the bad guy is "surprised" to see his intended victim has a gun to defend himself with during the bad guy's choosing a victim process before the attack and at that point seeing the gun can make the bad guy decide not to attack at all.

But either way... it was the bad guy being "surprised" to see a gun that was the actual "element of surprise".

Quite frankly... I'd prefer the bad guy be "surprised" to see my openly carried gun and decide not to attack me so I can go home and watch the 6 o'clock news coverage .... from the comfort of my easy chair..... about the CC'er who had to pull his gun and "surprise" the bad guy who attacked him.

Does OC's "element of surprise" really work? Well.... there have been thousands of folks open carrying in many States (Like Arizona) for decades! and yet accounts of folks OC'ing being attacked are rare. And you know with the anti gun media any incident involving an open carrier being attacked would be covered over and over and over yet such has not been the case in the past nor is it now.

And, in my not so humble opinion, because CC's use of the "element of surprise" is only effective after the attack has begun but OC's use of the "element of surprise" can prevent an attack from happening............. OC's use of the "element of surprise" is far superior to CC's because....

I'd much rather watch the 6 o'clock news than to BE the news.

Now... about an OC'er being "targeted" or "shot first" by the bad guys...

OC has been practiced for DECADES in Arizona (just one State out of all the States where open carry is/has been done)... yet the incidents where an OC'er was "targeted" or "shot first" are so rare it is difficult to find any reputable incidents that can be backed up with cites and/or links to put any validity to those claims. If there were any truth to those claims shouldn't it be easy to find actual incidents especially considering there are DECADES!! of open carry to choose from?

My firearm is a tool.
    the carrier of said firearm is not a tool.

it is my right to self defense and the fact that I value my life, property and freedom that give me my desire to carry a firearm.

I feel that if more folks took responsibilty for their own safety, and the safety of their families, there would be lot less crime, and a lot fewer criminal predators.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    I carry to protect me and mine, that is the one and only reason.
    This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrying a gun for ego?

I prefer CC for a couple reasons. Fist being if I accidentally walk into the Post Office, no one notices, and I walk out without arrest. Second is not liking making people nervous.

But I think mainly because I got used to CC as a LEO (we were required to CC if we carried off duty). I am so used to carrying, I forget I have to check for gun buster signs now. So, if I forget to check, what they don't know doesn't hurt me!
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123