Carrying a gun for ego?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a gun for ego?

Carrying a gun for ego?

Quote Originally Posted by CarryNM View Post
    I prefer CC to OC, just for the peace of mind and the element of surprise if needed. My Wife and I both CC all of the time. The only time my weapon is off my body is to sleep and shower. Otherwise it is securely hidden on my person. OC is fine if that is what You need for your ego, but it does nothing for me. I would much rather have a CC person at my back than several OC around me. Just the way it is in the country!!
    How about the counter argument that it is the person who carries concealed is doing so out of a secret desire (ego?) to be judge, jury and executioner and are just hoping to be a "hero" that one day gets to use their "element of surprise" to rid the world of one more criminal? That's what the anti-gun crowd and Brady Bunch says, right? Anybody who carries a gun is just looking for vigilante justice? So are they just as "correct" in their ASSumptions as the above post?

Some people like to troll in the open carry forums, so I thought I would give it a try in the concealed carry forums.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

3. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the people in this forum carry for ego purposes, both OC and CC.

No ego at all just my right as an American Citizen.

Since I really don't care what others think, doubt it is for ego. Mainly now after all these years, it is more habit than anything else to carry. And since cannot OC at work, decision is made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    No ego at all just my right as an American Citizen.
    There you go, spot on.

No ego for me at all... just want to keep my kid safe.

Sure, plenty of videos on youtube of people who seem (to me) to be carrying (concealed or not) for the purpose of ego. Or who invite/enjoy scaring the sh!t out of the antis and the subsequent confrontations with police. They're irritating (scaring people and antagonizing cops because it's "my right" --which it is, of course!-- is not gonna help us much), but I think they're the minority. Most OC or CC'ers just want to exercise their rights and keep their family safe, and educate people when they have a chance.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

My unashamed, and likely very unpopular, personal opinion...

Unfortunately I think there are people who think CC gives them some kind of super secret mystical magical "edge" that makes them "feel" like they don't have to be afraid of bad guys.... never understanding that both open carry and concealed carry have the same... bad guy sees his victim has a gun... "element of surprise".

Unfortunately I think there are people who think that because they CC or OC they are now some kind of bad ass "sheepdog" entrusted with keeping everyone else safe from bad guys. THOSE are the folks who have an ego problem and it isn't the CC or the OC that is at fault but is that person's desire to be a "hero".

And.. unfortunately... I think there are people who CC that attack OC'ers because of simple envy. They are jealous because they lack the courage to be upfront about exercising the right to bear arms for fear other people will look at them funny, other people will shun them, they will have to actually speak up for the right to bear arms when questioned by other people, they will have to know the laws well enough so they will not be afraid of an encounter with the police. In short... they are afraid they will actually have to stand up and defend the right to bear arms with actual action instead of just words on the internet and letters to politicians who don't read them.

And there are OC'ers who think an openly carried sidearm says they are Barny bad ass.... but the funny thing is.... apparently the bad guys think so too since incidents of bad guys attacking open carriers is a very rare thing despite DECADES of open carry in just Arizona.

But one thing is glaringly obvious... unlike legal open carry (including legally openly carrying rifles/shotguns).......concealed carry has NOT done anything, or will do anything, to desensitize the public to seeing guns carried by ordinary everyday people. Hiding our guns has only reinforced the old "out of sight, out of mind" adage.

But open carry really does put something out there "in your face" and it isn't the gun... it is the right to bear arms itself.

I carry to protect me and mine, that is the one and only reason.

10. If never had to leave Eakley I'd only own a duck gun but I do so I do
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

But open carry really does put something out there "in your face" and it isn't the gun... it is the right to bear arms itself.
    If it's someone hanging out on the street corner trying to make a statement with a "Deadly Assault Rifle Oh My!" all the antis will see is the gun. On the other hand, a normal guy going about his business with a firearm on his hip... that's where the right to bear arms gets across.

I do agree with your post. Especially your description of the sheepdog/vigilante type. Unfortunately that's one of my liberal sister's big reasons for wanting to ban guns... Wannabe heroes out getting trigger happy and shooting people who don't need shooting. Not likely, sure, but logical to people who have had "guns are evil" drilled in to their heads. (My sister is actually awesome and very intelligent... she has just been living in CA so you know the only info she has... I've been gradually showing her much better information and since she's willing to listen she'll convince herself soon enough! Plus her questions have really helped me define when and where I would be willing to take someone's life.)

Though I think some of us CC'ers might just be jealous because we live in a confusing state like Colorado where there are a bunch of random places where OC is illegal! Things have been changing so much lately I can barely keep up. I have my reasons for CC over OC, but I have no illusions about any "tactical advantage."
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast