pistol permit in upstate NY - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pistol permit in upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    tredoa377

Any news yet?

I would suggest looking up the class I run in the area that trains you for your UN restricted permit. You can, indeed obtain one now as Judge Cawley is authorizing them - with proper training.

Go here: www.safeinrochester.com/firearms to see the class listing. The title is: Defensive Pistol Skills 101/CCW Upgrade.

I can guarantee you results from the class. if you have any questions, let me know by emailing me through the site.

Dave
    Anyway the Broome county judges can convince the Onondaga county judges to do the same? I was told (by the guy at the Bass Pro gunshop in Auburn) that between the 3 judges that do the pistol permits in Onondaga county it is basically a crapshoot based on which judge gets your application--1 judge will give unrestricted and the other 2 probably won't.

I plan on signing up for one of the defensive pistol courses in Rochester either way once I get my (un)restricted permit and my Taurus 24/7 Pro in the next few months (hopefully).

3. Multiple County Permits.

Noob here.
    I've had a target carry in Suffolk County (Long Island) for about 15 years now and I was just upgraded to a business carry.
    I bought a house in Yates County. I called the Yates County office in charge of issuing permits and they said i couldn't have a permit in 2 counties.Does that sound right to anybody? I have zero confidence in the information the woman gave me.
    Next time I'm up there during the week (spring) I'll have to check into getting a permit for up there and see what they say in person.

Catfish

My understanding is: you need to or should transfer your permit to your new county. I'm not that upto speed on LI area. I can carry anywhere in NYS with my permit except see below.

The really suck part of this state is NYC and area. Us upstate or LI can not carry into "THE CITY" but if they have a permit they can carry up here.
    Last edited by harvey13118; 01-09-2009 at 07:47 AM.
    Harvey Proud to be American, NRA Endowment, NYS Rifle Pistol, US Army Ret

PALIN 2012

5. Multiple Counties

Quote Originally Posted by harvey13118 View Post
    My understanding is: you need to or should transfer your permit to your new county. I'm not that upto speed on LI area. I can carry anywhere in NYS with my permit except see below.
    Yes.
    They did say I could bring in my Suffolk permit and surrender it for a Yates permit.
    I still live and work in Suffolk so I was not willing to do that.

Catfish

Tredoa, it's been three months. Do you have an update for us?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

7. I grew up in Broome County. Endicott to be exact. I had a pistol permit and it was restricted to hunting, target shooting and plinking. I could transport it to any of the three activities but it had to be unloaded and out of my reach while enroute. Concealed Carry permits (as I recall) were extremely difficult to get, but could be had if your job required it. Like a jeweler or someone who transported large sums of cash. My stepfather had one because he was an auxilliary Johnson City policeman. I couldn't get one.

Hey Catfish,

I grew up in Yates. If I recall correctly, there is a 1 year residency requirement in that county. They ask for 3 or 4 character references that live within the ounty that you have known for at least 1 year. I would ask to have that waived as you already have a pistol license in NYS.

I would not surrender your curent license until you have a legal solution for handgun possession. Good luck.

9. Dual Counties

Thanks Willy.

Catfish

What is the Yates County position on concealed carry? With either permint you are legal anywhere in NYS except the city area. If Yates issues full concealed carry it make sense to transfer.

The problem I see is which county do you actually live? Did you transfer Drivers license? Vehicle rergistrations auto insurancec? That could cause you a issue.

Just thinking outloud. Any way you slice it a issued permit in NYS is valuable and should never be surrendered unless you have a better deal.
    Harvey Proud to be American, NRA Endowment, NYS Rifle Pistol, US Army Ret

PALIN 2012

11. I haven't gotten that far into it.
    I live and work in Suffolk.
    DL is in Suffolk but auto insurance and reg are split between both.
    I will never surrender my Suffolk business carry unless I no longer work in Suffolk.
    Hopefully I'll have some time to ask some questions next time I make it up to Yates.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast