pistol permit in upstate NY
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pistol permit in upstate NY

pistol permit in upstate NY

I'm looking at getting my pistol permit in broome county new york, i've heard that it is nearly impossible to get a carry conceal permit in my county. so if i were to go through with the paper work and fingerprinting, and only obtain a target permit. would i be able to carry the pistol unloaded in my car to property that i deer hunt and be able to hunt with that pistol. i don't own any of the property that i hunt, but would love to try the challenge of hunting with a pistol but i don't want to violate any laws. because from what i've read with a target permit, it can only be on my property or place of business.

I see that this is your first post on USA Carry. Welcome to site, tredoa377.

As for what you need to do to be able to exercise your RKBA, I have an even better solution. MOVE!

I have never seen the actual pistol license application for Broome County (they all seem to be a bit different), but somewhere, it is going to have a place for "the reason" you want to have this license.

I was told a long time ago to ask for what you want, becasue if you don't ask, you won't get it. (Let's ignore for the moment that having to ask for the privelege to possess a handgun is absurd.) On my application, I wrote "For all lawful purposes." as the reason. You may want to try that or list out" Hunting, target shooting, informal plinking, camping, personal protection, competitive shooting, shark fishing, etc."

In my county, they will not issue a license for "self defense", so writing that on the application is a sure way to have it rejected. I obtained an unrestricted license the way I submitted it.

As a side, I heard that Tioga was starting to award licenses without restrictions finally. Maybe Broome will follow suit!

Good Luck.

5. As far as I know, you may transport your pistol unloaded in a locked container to the place where you hunt, load it and carry it while hunting, then transport it home unloaded in that locked box. This applies to having a permit issued for "hunting/target."

The problem is, as you already know, that there are no state-wide uniform pistol laws in this state, but I agree with some of the other posters here who said to include as much as you can for wanting a pistol license, in the hope you may get one unrestricted.

When we first went to our sheriff's office with our applications, we only had asked for "premises/target," but the deputy who took our fingerprints told us to change the permit request to "full carry," which we did. It just depends where you live in this state, which sucks for some, not so much for others.

One day we hope to leave this state.

Good luck!
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

thanks for the info guys, i'm going to go ahead and obtain the paperwork and submit it stating my reasons for wanting to own being hunting ect. and see what happens, i'll also go ahead and ask the sheriff when i get the paperwork what the deal is about carrying it to my hunting grounds

In Cayuga County I called the Deputy Sheriff in charge of permits and asked him how to answer because they had hunting, target, home etc. My question when hunting it will be concealed under outer garments. The Deputy told me they do not issue for anything but full concealed carry. But you can carry open while hunting.

I use .44 deer hunting as a short range back up. I carry a XP100 7mmbr for 100+ yds. The beauty of hand gun hunting is: you do not have to load and unload pistols can be carried loaded.

Ask the Deputy in charge of permits. Or ask at the local ranges. There a lot of shooters down there.

Quote Originally Posted by tredoa377 View Post
    thanks for the info guys, i'm going to go ahead and obtain the paperwork and submit it stating my reasons for wanting to own being hunting ect. and see what happens, i'll also go ahead and ask the sheriff when i get the paperwork what the deal is about carrying it to my hunting grounds
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

so i applied for my permit last friday, now its just the waiting game

10. Quote Originally Posted by tredoa377 View Post
    so i applied for my permit last friday, now its just the waiting game
    Good luck!
    Stay safe - DW
    NRA Endowment Member
    Retired Fed

Blog Entries
    tredoa377

Any news yet?

I would suggest looking up the class I run in the area that trains you for your UN restricted permit. You can, indeed obtain one now as Judge Cawley is authorizing them - with proper training.

Go here: www.safeinrochester.com/firearms to see the class listing. The title is: Defensive Pistol Skills 101/CCW Upgrade.

I can guarantee you results from the class. if you have any questions, let me know by emailing me through the site.

Dave
    Dave
    Founder,
    Rochester Personal Defense
    www.safeinrochester.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast