Utah CCL or not
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Utah CCL or not

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Illinois and Arizona
    Posts
    21

    Utah CCL or not

    Going for my IL CCL soon and they offer the Utah class for 50.00 more. My question is it worth it. My AZ CCL covers most of the states that the Utah one does I think all but three. Not sure if it's worth the extra dough. What are the general thoughts.
    TIA
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by DC99 View Post
    Going for my IL CCL soon and they offer the Utah class for 50.00 more. My question is it worth it. My AZ CCL covers most of the states that the Utah one does I think all but three. Not sure if it's worth the extra dough. What are the general thoughts.
    TIA
    If your AZ class was within the last 2 years then you can still get the Utah permit without the extra class.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DC99 View Post
    My AZ CCL covers most of the states that the Utah one does I think all but three. Not sure if it's worth the extra dough. What are the general thoughts.
    TIA
    Are you ever going to travel to any of the extra states you would get and is there a legal method of carrying without a recognized license, such as open carry?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Illinois and Arizona
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Are you ever going to travel to any of the extra states you would get and is there a legal method of carrying without a recognized license, such as open carry?
    Good question probably not. Not sure about open carry laws in those states. That's why not sure if it's worth it for a few extra states.
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    If your AZ class was within the last 2 years then you can still get the Utah permit without the extra class.
    Huh?

    Utah requires a very specific course of instruction by a Utah BCI certified instructor.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNDLESSDYAD View Post
    Huh?

    Utah requires a very specific course of instruction by a Utah BCI certified instructor.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It's actualy a very generic 4hr lecture, there's not even any hands-on instruction. LegalHeat tours the states and their single 4hr class gets you the Utah and Arizona carry permits.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    It's actualy a very generic 4hr lecture, there's not even any hands-on instruction. LegalHeat tours the states and their single 4hr class gets you the Utah and Arizona carry permits.
    I have a UT permit. The legal heat class includes the UT curriculum which is a must for UT.

    I also have an AZ permit, they accept most training. An AZ class would not qualify for UT unless it meets UT BCI curriculum requirements.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNDLESSDYAD View Post
    I have a UT permit. The legal heat class includes the UT curriculum which is a must for UT.

    I also have an AZ permit, they accept most training. An AZ class would not qualify for UT unless it meets UT BCI curriculum requirements.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Your point being?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Blueshell View Post
    Your point being?
    Didn't you tell someone if they took an AZ class they would qualify for UT? This is not necessarily true.

    If I misunderstood I apologize but that is the way it appeared to me.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNDLESSDYAD View Post
    Didn't you tell someone if they took an AZ class they would qualify for UT?
    The class OP took for his AZ permit may have been UT compliant. OP didn't say what kind of class he took. All I did was offer a possible option. OP knows what class he took, and how long ago, then qualify that option as workable or not.

    The class itself, for either state, is not overly specialized. The only difference is a lecture block on specific laws of that state. I honestly don't recall any of the UT specific laws but that doesn't invalidate my UT permit (not entirely true, I know I can't carry into a Utah church, but I'm not christian anyway for that to apply to me, and I don't need an NICS check if I buy a gun in Utah, but I don't buy guns from Utah for that to apply to me, either). Funny thing is I've never stepped foot in Utah. I got a Utah non-resident so that I could carry in Ohio while visiting family since Ohio doesn't honer my own state's permit. Whichever state I'm in I always take a look at Handgunlaws.us anyway as a quick reminder of the basics (if I have to tell a cop, list of prohibited places).

    So OP wants to get an IL permit, great. Even with a permit 90% of IL remains off-limits anyway. OP, don't worry about the extra $50, worry about getting the IL permit at all. If you still elect to get the IL permit, go for the UT addon, at least then your IL permit will be good for something other than taking up space in your wallet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast