Any NC residents with non resident CWP? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any NC residents with non resident CWP?

Blog Entries
    Have not seen anyone address this part of your question, but North Carolina does not honor any "non-resident" concealed weapons permits, since they honor the permits from ALL of the other states. You can apply for permits from other states, but when you show the permit and your NC driver's license, it is then considered a "non-resident" permit.

3. I asked a sheriffs department a while back and they said that NC honors non residents. You sure you don't mean SC?
    Quote Originally Posted by napalm53 View Post
    Have not seen anyone address this part of your question, but North Carolina does not honor any "non-resident" concealed weapons permits, since they honor the permits from ALL of the other states. You can apply for permits from other states, but when you show the permit and your NC driver's license, it is then considered a "non-resident" permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachm View Post
    I asked a sheriffs department a while back and they said that NC honors non residents. You sure you don't mean SC?
    NC recognizes all permits issued by all other states. Here's the actual wording from the Department of Justice website:

"Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state."
    (Concealed Handguns Reciprocity)

There's nothing in law that would prohibit NC residents from using a non-resident permit from another state. In fact this issue was brought up a few years ago (maybe 2 or 3? I read about the discussion in the paper) and a NC legislator was proposing that NC residents couldn't use other state's non-resident permits (specifically Virginia's), but this didn't even make it to an official bill proposal. The feeling among legislators then was that NC's system is nice and plain and easy to understand: NC accepts all permits issued by every other state. There's actually a related issue that gets discussed (not officially as far as I know) as to whether NC would recognize permits issued by the District of Columbia (if they ever actually issue any) since DC isn't a "state". And permits issued by the City of New York in theory aren't recognized either (again, not a 'state', although they think they are their own country!), but there have been no test cases in either case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12