I carry a 22 mag, do I need to turn my "man card" in ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I carry a 22 mag, do I need to turn my "man card" in ?

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by oklahomamoses View Post
    Interesting to say the least, my stomach pump routinely produces 8-10 inch groups at 21 feet.
    Are you saying that's a good thing? To me, 8-10 inches away from point of aim is a miss, but hey, if it floats your boat, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I sometimes carry a .22mag for a primary. A Kel Tec PMR30. 31 rounds of .22mag should do the job.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I want one of those so bad I can taste it, and it's precisely what I had in mind when I said that .22 mag isn't necessarily a deficiency, but the uber-short barrel might well be. I've shot a PMR30 and love it. One of these days....
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

A Glock 42 is too large for me as a pocket pistol, and a 43 is even larger. You might find them ok, preferences vary. About the biggest thing I'd carry as a pocket gun is a Taurus TCP. Very reliable gun, and a bit less expensive than a Glock.

I spend a lot of my time in the woods (hundreds of hours), and for the 6 months covering summer the game lands I frequent while fishing only permits .22 LR pistol, open carry only. Even with a concealed carry permit, the only thing you can carry outside of hunting season in these 10,000+ acres is a .22 pistol (.22 mag not allowed), open carry only, so I have become comfortable carrying as .22 as a self defense gun.

Off the game lands I pocket carry a Taurus TCP, or open carry a Luger P-08 or a SCCY CPX2, but I'd be ok with a pocket .22. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperBob View Post
    A Glock 42 is too large for me as a pocket pistol, and a 43 is even larger. You might find them ok, preferences vary. About the biggest thing I'd carry as a pocket gun is a Taurus TCP. Very reliable gun, and a bit less expensive than a Glock.

I spend a lot of my time in the woods (hundreds of hours), and for the 6 months covering summer the game lands I frequent while fishing only permits .22 LR pistol, open carry only. Even with a concealed carry permit, the only thing you can carry outside of hunting season in these 10,000+ acres is a .22 pistol (.22 mag not allowed), open carry only, so I have become comfortable carrying as .22 as a self defense gun.

Off the game lands I pocket carry a Taurus TCP, or open carry a Luger P-08 or a SCCY CPX2, but I'd be ok with a pocket .22. YMMV
    Some pockets may be very well big enough for a Glock 42, 43, or even 26, just as my cargo pant pockets and ski pant pockets are big enough for a Glock 26. Dress for success.

I do have a Taurus TCP 738 .380 ACP mouse gun. I really liked it when I bought it and carried it. I stopped carrying it for a number of reasons. I did take it to the range a few weeks ago and experienced a number of failure to eject malfunctions, every 2-3 fired rounds! This appears to be a combination of ammunition and gun. My Hornady XTP self defense ammo and my Monarch training ammo cycles fine, for now, but my Remington UMC training ammo apparently doesn't. I have about 2500 rounds through that gun. I don't recommend it for a number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by oklahomamoses View Post
    Interesting to say the least, my stomach pump routinely produces 8-10 inch groups at 21 feet.
    At a stationary target I assume? An 8-10 inch group a stationary target has already quite number of misses. If I get shot at from a 21 feet distance, I would be moving sideways and shooting back. What's your group then? Every bullet that misses has a lawyer behind it. You are responsible for any innocent person you shoot and injure or kill.

Also, I would be searching for cover and eventually shooting from behind such cover. The target area of someone shooting from behind cover is significantly smaller, i.e., just the head. You may not be able to land a single hit.

Most people also underestimate the stress, tunnel vision and situational factors. Shooting performance in a self defense situation at a store or in a parking lot is different than the slow-shooting performance at a range with a firing line. Can you shoot 2 to the chest and one in the head in under 2 or even under 3 seconds without a single miss, at a moving target while you are moving as well?

I assume you have never participated in a defensive handgun training class? In such a class, you very quickly learn what works for you and what doesn't.

6. The way I see it is.... I would rather have one well placed shot with a .22 vs 10 bad shots with a .45.

7. Always heard "a 22 in the eye is better that a 45 flying by". Need to study results of police reports, autopsy reports, and public records of shootings. Might just change a few opinions out there.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rliles View Post
    Always heard "a 22 in the eye is better that a 45 flying by". Need to study results of police reports, autopsy reports, and public records of shootings. Might just change a few opinions out there.
    Without assuming which side of the .22 good/.22 not good argument you might personally come down on, perhaps if you're familiar with studies comparing shootings of various calibers and their outcomes, you should post it up if you're interested in changing minds. I'd certainly be interested in such studies.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

9. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Without assuming which side of the .22 good/.22 not good argument you might personally come down on, perhaps if you're familiar with studies comparing shootings of various calibers and their outcomes, you should post it up if you're interested in changing minds. I'd certainly be interested in such studies.

Blues
    This is one of the reports that I have seen:

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

Not really looking to change anyone's opinion. I myself carry a 40 cal in cold weather and a 380 in warmer weather. I have a 22 that I use for most of my practice. I feel a person should carry what they are comfortable with. I do feel secure with carrying any pistol I have. I believe bullet placement is the most important thing to be concerned with. I have seen other reports similar to this one. If I can find them I will post them too. Have a great day!

10. "Better than nothing" and "ask them if they'll let you shoot them with it" are among the poorest reasons to justify a caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone starts shooting at you...you don't respond with..."Hey...what is that a 22"...then just stand there and laugh...when most people are being shot at...they will retreat...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast