I carry a 22 mag, do I need to turn my "man card" in ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I carry a 22 mag, do I need to turn my "man card" in ?

Quote Originally Posted by shoot106 View Post
    If someone starts shooting at you...you don't respond with..."Hey...what is that a 22"...then just stand there and laugh...when most people are being shot at...they will retreat...
    If someone starts shooting at me, I actually may get hit. If I get hit at all and I am not immediately incapacitated, I would rather get hit with a .22lr or .22 WMR than with a 9mm or .45 ACP. I will be firing 9mm in the other direction while moving to cover. If my opponent chooses to stack the deck against himself, great. The OP will run out of ammo anyway after 5 shots of .22 WMR from a micro revolver. I carry 50 rounds of 9mm with a compact semi-auto.

3. My thoughts are I just won't trust a rimfire for self defense. If that's all I have handy, then that's what gets used but I ain't carrying one for self defense on purpose. I've had too many that went click when they should have went BOOM!

But if that's what tickles your fancy, you just go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    My thoughts are I just won't trust a rimfire for self defense. If that's all I have handy, then that's what gets used but I ain't carrying one for self defense on purpose. I've had too many that went click when they should have went BOOM!

But if that's what tickles your fancy, you just go right ahead.
    Good point on the rimfire! That being said I have a .22 magnum rifle and a pistol. Both of which I shoot regularly. I cant recall ever having a problem with a .22 magnum never going boom before. .22LR happens all the time for me. Maybe the primer quality of the magnums is higher than the LR so misfires are rare. IMHO .22LR's have really taken a dive in quality but I agree with you on why trust your life to a rimfire.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

FOOD FOR THOUGHT... I'm only wanting to present valid information to enable rational thought on the real-world ballistics of 22LR vs 22Mag...

I used to own a NAA MiniMaster 4inch/22mag... well made and reliable, and with a 4inch bbl it was actually very accurate, HOWEVER,

Believe me, if you need to use it indoors, prepare for a BLINDING flash and especially a thunderous hurtful report. Your hearing may be comprised mainly of dull thumps and a really high-pitched
    whining that can take days to fade completely away, (IF it fades away completely)

While a 22mag can be a very useful weapon, this is NOT true in all cases.

The 22mag doesn't perform to any REASONABLE expectations in a very short barreled weapon (2inch or less).
    If you shot the same rounds from a 6inch revolver vs a 2inch NAA, a 30grain Hornady V-Max from the 6inch would be pushing around 1740fps resulting in 201.7fpe,
    which would be fairly respectable on a small scale.

With a short barreled revolver like a 2inch or less NAA its a different story altogether...consider the following...

22 mag VS 22lr coming out of a 2inch bbl stats:
    2inch barrel ..... 22lr... .......CCI Stinger.........32grain.....974fps.....67.4fpe
    2inch barrel ..... 22mag ..... Hornady V-Max....30grain.....962fps.....61.6fpe

As you can see, there appears to be NO advantage comparing a 22lr vs 22mag in such a short barrelled revolver.
    The above numbers/computations are mathematically correct and can be checked with the following useful links:

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results ... this link 22lr stats

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Results ... this link 22mag stats

Foot Pound Calculations ... this link computes Foot-Pounds-Energy

Just for comparison, consider a 38spl and 9mm in similarly short 2inch barrels and similar bullet weights...

38SPL ~ Federal 124grain HydraShok JHP..........700fps/135fpe
    9MM ~ Federal 124grain HydraShok JHP..........900fps/223fpe

Obviously, the 9MM is considerably more potent...
    ALSO, while either the 9MM or 38SPL will go bang quite loudly indoors, neither seems to be as devastating to the ears as the 22mag;
    (I do NOT however have any definitive proof of that [loudness of report], just my own observation).

I wish you the best and hope you find this useful information....Happy Shootin'

Quote Originally Posted by shoot106 View Post
    If someone starts shooting at you...you don't respond with..."Hey...what is that a 22"...then just stand there and laugh...when most people are being shot at...they will retreat...
    Or shoot back.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Blameless View Post
    FOOD FOR THOUGHT... I'm only wanting to present valid information to enable rational thought on the real-world ballistics of 22LR vs 22Mag...
    Thanks for that information, very interesting comparison of the stinger and the 22 mag.

Barrel length is important for all calibers. Most handgun HP rounds are designed to expand when fired from full-size or compact firearms. At a 2-inch barrel length, it starts to get problematic. There are a lot of tests on this Web site: Pocket Guns and Gear.

Also, there is lethality vs. incapacitation (watch this video at time stamp 13:25):

I would not want to be shot with a .22 mag. My self I own a Kel Tec P-32 and find it to be one great pocket gun. It has over 1,000 flawless rounds thru it. I can hit head or chest shots from 3 to 30 feet. Plus it holds 7+1 round. If I needed to use it, I would shoot 2 or 3 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    I would not want to be shot with a .22 mag. My self I own a Kel Tec P-32 and find it to be one great pocket gun. It has over 1,000 flawless rounds thru it. I can hit head or chest shots from 3 to 30 feet. Plus it holds 7+1 round. If I needed to use it, I would shoot 2 or 3 rounds.
    You should seriously consider downgrading to a .22 caliber pocket pistol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123