Potential victims - or not

Thread: Potential victims - or not

Potential victims - or not

So another member posted that they traveled as a "potential victim" because they did not take their gun to conceal carry with on a trip. So, I am wondering...how does conceal carry reduce the chances of a person being a "potential victim"? Isn't that what the "element of surprise" is all about? Not allowing the criminal to know about your gun until after they have initiated an attack against you? If the criminal attacks you and you draw your gun and the criminal runs away, were you not still the victim of a criminal attack? You just happen to be a victim that successfully defended themselves after they had become the victim of a criminal attack.

Merriam-Webster definition of victim:
    a person who has been attacked, injured, robbed, or killed by someone else

I think it is a mistake to think that concealed carry reduces your chances of being a victim of a violent crime. It only reduces the chances of the attack succeeding.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The member posted that they traveled as a "potential victim" because they DID take their gun on a trip but flew through NYS thus potentially becoming a victim of an unconstitutional law. At least that was my interpretation of that post.

Anyway, having the ability to defend yourself is reducing the impact of being victim and not the probability of becoming a victim.

Edit: The member clarified his statements, arguing that they traveled as a "potential victim" because they did not take their gun. This really does't make much sense.

Having a goalie mask on doesn't reduce your chance of getting hit by a puck, just as having insurance doesn't reduce your chance being in a car accident.
    It does show that people may think their gun is a talisman that will ward off trouble though.

I agree it doesn't make much sense - but how many times have you heard someone say they carry concealed because they refuse to be a victim? In order to reduce the potential of a criminal choosing you as a victim you have to actually do something that the criminal can see while making the decision to attack you or not that would dissuade them from choosing you as a target. Since the purpose of concealing the gun is to hide it from everyone - including the criminal - I just don't see how that, by itself, can reduce the potential of becoming a victim.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

All of us are "potential victims". How we respond to an attack or situation will determine if we become a victim or not. A weapon can only keep us from becoming that victim if we are willing to use it.
    Why are you worried about holding up the targets for me? It' s a 9mm!