DOT Vehicle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOT Vehicle

1. DOT Vehicle

Is it legal to carry in a DOT vehicle?

Define what you mean by DOT vehicle, one with a USDOT number required for interstate commerce, or just one of the many yellow trucks for the guys the repair the roads?
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by mybowtie View Post
    Federal or state? Who would be the employer? Are you a private, state or federal employee or a contractor? Who owns the vehicle?

5. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Federal or state? Who would be the employer? Are you a private, state or federal employee or a contractor? Who owns the vehicle?
    Federal. I am the owner and operator

6. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Define what you mean by DOT vehicle, one with a USDOT number required for interstate commerce, or just one of the many yellow trucks for the guys the repair the roads?
    USDOT for interstate commerce

That may be best asked of your employer.
    Even though in your own vehicle, you may fall under their rules during the hours they are paying you (i.e. a home-visit-nurse may be prohibited from carrying while "on the job", regardless of WHERE she physically is, just as she would be prohibited while inside the hospital).

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    USDOT for interstate commerce
    There is no USDOT law or regulation that prevents you from carrying in or outside of your own rig while traveling interstate for commercial purposes. You must, however, comply with the laws of each state you travel to or through. Depending on what your home-state is, and whether or not you have a permit from that state (or whether or not one is required or offered for that matter), reciprocity agreements will come into play that you must educate yourself about the details of. If you're going to or through a state that doesn't have reciprocity with your home-state, you must follow the laws for transporting firearms rather than the carry laws. Transport laws often require locking your weapon(s) and ammo in separate compartments, and then some only require that your weapon(s) be unloaded without regard to being locked up or separated from ammo.

In short, you have a lot of homework to do. I suggest doing it before starting to carry in your rig. Some states may treat your sleeper during reset time like they treat hotel rooms, which is generally like they treat a person's home, but you'd have to revert back to relying on reciprocity agreements or transport laws, whichever apply to your specific circumstances, when you got back on the road in those states. And then some states won't treat your sleeper the same as a hotel room, so again, you have a lot of homework to do.

When I first started OTR I found that my best resource for these kinds of issues were trucker forums, not gun forums. DOT laws and regs will be cited chapter and verse on trucker forums, reducing your need to do all that research yourself. I know enough to know that DOT doesn't prohibit carry, but I don't recall the statutes and reg sections that prove that. Plus, carry laws from state to state have been changing a lot over the last several years, during which time I haven't been driving, so anything I even tried to say about individual state laws would be questionable for accuracy at best.

Good luck.

Blues

ETA: DOT doesn't involve itself in what policies your employer/contractor has in place. The only time DOT would report something firearms-related to your employer/contractor would be if they caught you with either an illegal gun or carrying illegally, the latter of which is unlikely that they would initiate the investigation as to legality unless it was a state like NY or NJ where nearly every out-of-state resident who's carrying, is carrying illegally.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Federal. I am the owner and operator
    As far as I know, given your situation, there is no federal law that prohibits you from carrying a your firearm in a USDOT vehicle that is being used for interstate commerce that you own and operate. You still have to follow the laws of the states you are in. You also still have to follow the federal laws that are applicable to any other person.

When you use a term like "DOT vehicle" you are saying the Federal Department of Transportation owns the vehicle.

You do not own the vehicle, you do not have the title. DOT does. Therefore DOT gets to set the rule.

But you also say you're an owner/operator. So which is it? Is it a DOT vehicle or do you own it? If you own it, then it is not a DOT vehicle. If you own it then it is your private vehicle registered with DOT, not a DOT vehicle.

The law is literal and so you must be literal as well. Do not carry a gun at all until you able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    That may be best asked of your employer.
    He said he's an owner/operator. He is his own employer. You're telling him to check with his employer, which is himself, and he's asking us, and you're telling him to check with his employer, who is himself, and he's asking us, and you're telling him to check with his employer, who is himself, and he's asking us...

You could at the very least Google what "owner/operator" even means before commenting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast