Does anyone carry without a holster?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone carry without a holster?

1. Does anyone carry without a holster?

I'm a new CCW carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I haven't started carrying all the time but am easing my way into it. I find that just putting it inside my waste band at my back is very comfortable. I generally wear jeans with a belt and a polo type shirt for work and going out. Thoughts from those who have more experience than myself with carry? Thanks!

Don't do it!!!! No protection over the trigger that way. That's what a holster is for....to hold the gun securely and to prevent negligent discharge if the firearm. With a 1911 pistol, it doesn't take much pressure on the trigger to pull it back. And you can't always rely on the safety to be on. Putting it in your waistband band could place the safety in an off position. Unless you plan on not carrying cocked and locked, A HOLSTER IS A MUST...IMHO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

No-one in their right mind carries a 1911 without a holster! If you shoot yourself it still counts. If your gun is taken from you, you just armed a criminal.

Small of back (SOB) carry, i.e, right over your spine, is also highly inadvisable for a number of reasons, including a traumatic spinal cord injury when falling on your back.

I highly advise you to take a defensive handgun training class. Please check the gun ranges in your area for such training classes. I don't mean any government-mandated concealed carry class to get the permit (aka permission slip), but an actual defensive handgun training class that teaches you when and how to draw your firearm, how to shoot it and when to re-holster. Note that you will not be able to take such class without a holster.

A defensive handgun training class is not only for you to learn the right mindset and skill, but also to test the reliability of your equipment and if your setup works for you. In a defensive handgun training class, you typically fire 300-500 rounds. I have personally seen a Kimber Ultra Carry II seize up during such a class. Those small 1911s are known to be finicky jammomatics.

I am leaving you with this educational video, in which Tex Grebner dissects his negligent discharge:

Feel free to ask any training-related questions. Get some training.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    No-one in their right mind carries a 1911 without a holster! If you shoot yourself it still counts. If your gun is taken from you, you just armed a criminal.

Small of back (SOB) carry, i.e, right over your spine, is also highly inadvisable for a number of reasons, including a traumatic spinal cord injury when falling on your back.

I highly advise you to take a defensive handgun training class. Please check the gun ranges in your area for such training classes. I don't mean any government-mandated concealed carry class to get the permit (aka permission slip), but an actual defensive handgun training class that teaches you when and how to draw your firearm, how to shoot it and when to re-holster. Note that you will not be able to take such class without a holster.

A defensive handgun training class is not only for you to learn the right mindset and skill, but also to test the reliability of your equipment and if your setup works for you. In a defensive handgun training class, you typically fire 300-500 rounds. I have personally seen a Kimber Ultra Carry II seize up during such a class. Those small 1911s are known to be finicky jammomatics.

I am leaving you with this educational video, in which Tex Grebner dissects his negligent discharge:

Feel free to ask any training-related questions. Get some training.
    Thanks! I'm a bit embarrassed to say I have trained w several good organizations using holsters. However the classes were before I was approved for my CCW here in California. Now that my foolish idea is out of my head, can you suggest some holster ideas? Also can I ask your opinion on off body carry?

This is probably the #1 don't in carrying. Some think it is cool because the bad guys on TV do it. It is actually stupid and dangerous to you, not the bad guy.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter060 View Post
    Thanks! I'm a bit embarrassed to say I have trained w several good organizations using holsters. However the classes were before I was approved for my CCW here in California. Now that my foolish idea is out of my head, can you suggest some holster ideas? Also can I ask your opinion on off body carry?
    Off-body carry is at least as bad an idea as no-holster carry. I presume you're asking about purse carry or maybe a weapon tucked into the pocket of a jacket that you will take off when you sit down for a dinner out or something? Whatever, off-body "carry" is really not "carrying" at all. It may be the normal thing for the weapon to be in close proximity to you, but the only way you can guarantee that it stays in your positive control at all times is to have it securely fastened to some part of your body.

I am not trying to be harsh, but now that you have a permission slip, you need more than ever to refresh your training with the "several good organizations" that you trained with before you got it. Alternatively, you could take a newer, more modern course from any of a number of good defensive handgun academies in your area. You might have to look kinda hard to find 'em in CA, but they're there. Start with a beginner's course and work your way through all the more advanced courses you can afford and/or have the stamina to complete.

Hope that helps.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Blues already hit the nail with off body carry.

As for holsters, there are a lot of good options. My personal favorite for IWB is the NSR Tactical LLC-4 holster. It is leather lined on the outside for carry comfort, uses a thicker kydex, and has adjustable retention. It also uses the more reliable loops, instead of the more common clips. Other good IWB options include Alien Gear, Crossbreed, and Galco, Comp-Tac holsters. There are many kydex holster makers.

For OWB, my personal favorite are Safariland ALS/SLS holsters. There are two different lines, the older and cheaper 6xxx line and the new 7xxx line. Depending what you need, you can pick the right option, such as the Model 7377 7TS ALS Concealment Belt Slide Holster or the Model 7360 7TS™ ALS®/SLS Mid-Ride, Level III Retention™ Duty Holster.

Note that many holsters are made to order and the wait time can be weeks to months. Alternatively, you can also just go into a gun store and pick a kydex holster that fits your firearm.

Please stay away from pure IWB leather and nylon holsters. They flatten when the gun is removed and proper re-holstering requires to take the holster out, holster the firearm, and the put the holster with the firearm back in. Some soft IWB holsters are also poorly constructed, lending themselves to negligent discharges. See: When Bad Holsters Turn Worse: This Guy Took One Right In The A$$, Here’s Why A Proper Holster Is Essential

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter060 View Post
    I'm a new CCW carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I haven't started carrying all the time but am easing my way into it. I find that just putting it inside my waste band at my back is very comfortable. I generally wear jeans with a belt and a polo type shirt for work and going out. Thoughts from those who have more experience than myself with carry? Thanks!
    Please tell us you are not carrying at all without a holster. Yea, that's how they do it on TV and in the movies, but damn, its not real world, or even real guns with real bullets.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

10. Pistol Wear - Holsters that fit your lifestyle.

I don't work there or anything but I've been using the Trump Card for several years now and have been very happy with it.
    Pro Choice: Revolver or Pistol.
    Cogito, ergo sum armatus. Molon labe.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bill_O_Rights View Post
    Pistol Wear - Holsters that fit your lifestyle.

I don't work there or anything but I've been using the Trump Card for several years now and have been very happy with it.
    What's your motivation for wearing the Trump Card holster? It seems to be a shoulder holster that is worn underneath a shirt. That's very difficult if not impossible to access when you actually need it.

Please answer in this thread: best holster for non-belt use - post #5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast