Does a concealed open carry holster exist?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a concealed open carry holster exist??

Your holster sits way too low. The top of the holster should be above the belt line and above the hip bone. Use this as a guide line: The gun needs to sit high enough, such that you can get a full grip on the gun, including indexing your trigger finger along the holster where the slide is and wrapping the other three fingers around the grip, with the middle finger against the trigger guard. Like in this picture:

Does a concealed open carry holster exist??-drawing-handgun-black-leather-iwb-holster.jpg

All pictures were from Alien Gear Holsters | Practice Drawing Your Concealed Carry Weapon - 5 Reasons Why You Should

Does a concealed open carry holster exist??

I get it and fully understand why it needs to ride that high but like I said, wearing it that high makes it so uncomfortable that I might as well just send the holster back for a refund and just keep it in my pocket holster whether I'm in my truck or POV.

I thought about something like this...

Or this....

Or even this....

And maybe even something like this...

....for the big truck but, either one of those four holsters pictured might make for an interesting traffic stop since the gun will be a lot more accessible in a holster like those in those locations as opposed to in a pocket or even in an ISW holster like I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the car carry thing, read these threads:

Mounted handgun in vehicle
    How do you carry in your car?
    Video: Drawing a Handgun in a Vehicle

Pocket holster carry won't work while sitting. Try to draw your firearm from a pocket holster while sitting in a chair.

As for the back issue, move the gun to 4, 3:30, or even 3 o'clock. Also, play around with the cant (angle of the gun) by using different holes for the front and the back clip. A 15 degree forward cant (also known as FBI cant) is often used and often builtin with the holster. Sometimes, carrying the gun straight without cant is better. I carry without cant. The pictures I posted are with the typical 15 degree forward cant.

I am re-posting this video directly in this thread for your information. I carry and draw my firearm like this guy from a IWB holster at the 4:30 position. The only difference, when I sit down in the car, I already put my shirt between the gun and my body. Since the rest of the shirt, the seat and the center console is still obstructing the view to see the firearm, it is still conceated. I generally don't like vehicle-mounted holsters, as described in the threads above.

PS: Yes, I have shot from a seated position inside a car during a training class.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Little bit of good info until the pissing match began.

Pocket holster carry won't work while sitting. Try to draw your firearm from a pocket holster while sitting in a chair.
    True, but my cargo shorts that I primarily wear with my pocket holster is more accessible than you think. Maybe it's not the best way or even the preferred way but I don't have much choice.

As for the back issue, move the gun to 4, 3:30, or even 3 o'clock. Also, play around with the cant (angle of the gun) by using different holes for the front and the back clip. A 15 degree forward cant (also known as FBI cant) is often used and often builtin with the holster. Sometimes, carrying the gun straight without cant is better. I carry without cant. The pictures I posted are with the typical 15 degree forward cant.
    Already tried most of that. I'll play with it some more this weekend but so far where I have it now is the most bearable. I don't wanna make new mounting holes if that would been work because if I do that I just forfeited any would-be cahance of returning it if it don't work out.

I may just have to take my chances and practice with it being set where it is.

I do like the idea of putting my shirt between me and the gun when I'm driving. I never thought of that. I'll just have to always remember to put the shirt tail back over it whenever I get out...lol.

Or I guess if it comes down to buying bigger waist size shorts and dress jeans to use the alien gear more, that may have to be an option I'll have to take.

Not to be an ass.....but how can an open carry holster be concealed? It's called open carry for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drzzit View Post
    Not to be an ass.....but how can an open carry holster be concealed? It's called open carry for a reason.

Maybe not an open carry holster in the traditional style but they do make outside the waistband holsters that are considered concealable. I just don't see how they do the job at all unless a fairly long jacket was worn over it to cover it up.

10. The good ones ride high so they barely protrude past the belt line.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Maybe not an open carry holster in the traditional style but they do make outside the waistband holsters that are considered concealable. I just don't see how they do the job at all unless a fairly long jacket was worn over it to cover it up.

I know what you meant. Just goofing with the way the title of the thread was worded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast