What happens to my ccw permit when i move out of state?

Thread: What happens to my ccw permit when i move out of state?

1. What happens to my ccw permit when i move out of state?

Hello, I plan to move to tennessee from massachusetts sometime in april this year. My concern is that while im in the process of obtaining my tennessee ccw permit I wont be able to carry until i recieve it. from what im reading it can take 90 days. Is there any way around this? I know they recognize mass permits but im assuming the moment i move my permit is no longer valid. Any help on this would be very much appreciated

You can inform yourself about Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits here: TN Department of Safety & Homeland Security | Handgun Carry Permits. Your Massachusetts permit is recognized in Tennessee. You can carry with it for 6 months after becoming a TN resident. As for the time it takes to get the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit, I have seen approval times of 3 weeks.

You probably should attach a COPY of you Ma. carry permit to your Tennessee application and apply as soon as possible. Once you have you Tennessee permit you can determine if you should send you Ma. permit back to Ma.

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    You probably should attach a COPY of you Ma. carry permit to your Tennessee application and apply as soon as possible. Once you have you Tennessee permit you can determine if you should send you Ma. permit back to Ma.
    The requirements for obtaining a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit are clearly defined and do not include any recognition of an out-of-state permit. Before giving such ill advise, you should actually read up on the laws you are commenting on.

There is a training requirement for the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit. Once a certificate for this requirement has been obtained, one has to go in person to a full service Driver License Service Center to fill out and file the application with the certificate, a proof of citizenship or lawful permanent residence as an alien, and a photo ID. They do take a new photo of you for the permit and you need to pay the application fee. Then you get the instructions for the electronic fingerprinting, which is actually not done at the Driver License Service Center.

From Qualifications & Requirements:

For Persons Holding a Handgun Carry Permit from Other States and Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

ALL handgun permit applicants seeking a new, renewal, or replacement permit must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency. If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay the fee, and be fingerprinted. All applicants, except those with valid permits from New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas must take a DOS approved handgun safety course. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.

6. .

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Before giving such ill advise, you should actually read up on the laws you are commenting on.
    Have you forgotten this is usacarry?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Have you forgotten this is usacarry?
    Unfortunately, I sometimes do.

No where did I say it was required to submit you old permit to the new state. I suggested it may be helpful if they know you already have been a legal permit holder in your previous state.

Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    No where did I say it was required to submit you old permit to the new state. I suggested it may be helpful if they know you already have been a legal permit holder in your previous state.
    And what I am saying is that it is not helpful at all, as the state employees processing the application have to follow the law. The law says nothing about considering out-of-state carry permits. They will simply not accept any additional documentation that is not required by law. Tennessee is shall issue and not may issue!

11. I moved from Mass to FL and you have to notify the chief of police in the town you obtained your license and file a change of address with the firearms bureau.
    I didn't send it certified, but I did send it. When we go up for the holidays, I just won't bring a firearm with me.
    I had a Florida non-resident and all I had to do was log in at the Tallahassee web site for LTC and change my address, that was it.

Q: I am changing my address. Who do I notify?

A: Under M.G.L. c. 140, 129B(10), and M.G.L. c. 140. 131(I) , a holder of an FID Card or an LTC must notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued the Card or License, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the Card or License holder moves, and the Commissioner of the DCJIS. The notice must be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence.

Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) FAQs