if i am approved to buy a pistol will i be approved for a cpl in michigan

Thread: if i am approved to buy a pistol will i be approved for a cpl in michigan

1. Question if i am approved to buy a pistol will i be approved for a cpl in michigan

long story short. 1995 had a domestic charge, thought I remember judge saying stay out of trouble wont go on record. fast forward 2016.
    checked on how to expunge- get record history from MI state police ICHAT - ran record nothing- applied for pistol purchase permit at sheriffs office - approved-went to gun shop bought pistol they ran background check - approved.

so I'm going to assume if there is nothing on my record that stops a purchase, there would be nothing to stop me from getting a CPL.

searched internet for info on if the same database is used for both, but cant find a good answer.

thanks for the help on a dumb question.

Read MSP | Concealed Pistol License Requirements. The only true way to figure this out would be to apply for a MI CPL, so what stops you from doing that and motivates you to ask random strangers on the Internet instead?

4. I have applied for a CPL today
    I did read the MSP site it lists 3-year and 8-year disqualifiers the nics site list forever disqualifiers.
    I was just wondering if they use the same databases for purchase permit that they do for a CPL permit.
    My motivation was trying to get a clear answer from somebody that may have the answer. There are no clear answers at any of the government or legal sites
    Found this site so I thought I'd give it a try.

Good, you applied. Now comes the wait. If it gets denied you will be notified about the why and then can act on that information, potentially using a lawyer.

When it comes to legal questions that involve someone's personal situation (in contrast to general legal questions), situational details and the jurisdictional specifics are important. Only a qualified lawyer that can analyze those details and that knows the local law and legal procedures will be able to help. Strangers on the Internet are a bad source of information as everyone has an opinion and likely no one knows the facts. Even local law enforcement is often a poor source of information.

As for your question about databases, the only reason to ask that question is to gauge if you can get a carry permit without being discovered of being ineligible.

6. you got me. thats my reason,

I applied for a purchase permit and was approved. the charge didn't show so I assume ill be approved for cpl.
    I think my county didn't do there job in 1995 and file the info.
    not trying to hide from the charge, trying to make sure I'm legal.
    in any event, made appointment with lawyer to see if I have anything that needs to get expunged don't want to make myself a felon.

thanks for your insight bofh

7. a little more about me, 59 years old not some punk kid trying to beat the system.

got copy of my file from the court, one piece of paper basically says - plea + fine.

couldn't find out from court if that made me ineligible or not. don't want to admit they didn't do there job.

so your right, this is not the place to ask the question.

ill find out from lawyer on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpspike View Post
    long story short. 1995 had a domestic charge, thought I remember judge saying stay out of trouble wont go on record. fast forward 2016.
    checked on how to expunge- get record history from MI state police ICHAT - ran record nothing- applied for pistol purchase permit at sheriffs office - approved-went to gun shop bought pistol they ran background check - approved.

so I'm going to assume if there is nothing on my record that stops a purchase, there would be nothing to stop me from getting a CPL.

searched internet for info on if the same database is used for both, but cant find a good answer.

thanks for the help on a dumb question.
    The only way to know is to apply. It's not a crime to be denied a permit, and if denied you will be told exactly why and exactly how to appeal the denial.