Church Carry - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Church Carry

1. Why I carry to my Church: (Carrying in Church in Colorado is totally legal)
    Colorado Church Gunman Had Grudge Against Christian Group, Cops Say - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

P.S. My pastor knows. He totally endorses (AND ENCOURAGES) the practice.

I live in SC and as others have pointed out you need permission to carry in the church. I spoke to the head of 'security' at our church and after a frank exchange of philosophies he told me that he'd be glad to have me carry while in church. Our church is on the large side and I can imagine that it could be a target some day for a bad guy or two but they will have made a big mistake if they think it is a soft target.

Quote Originally Posted by dkirkland View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I have to let all know what I found while reading the TX penal code... [Background] I go to a cowboy church so there is no problem carrying there, in fact the CHL class I took was at the church, but this was a different church so I called my pastor for a little guidance. He said that I would have to have permission from the minister before I could carry to the event. However, I did some reading I have included only the relevant parts of the statutes. I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV but this is what I found:

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

Sub section (b)
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

(5) in an amusement park; or

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

Sub Section (c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.

Sub section (f)
    (3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

Sub Section (i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
    (1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.

Notice that it is only illegal for CHL holders to carry at a hospital, church, amusement park, or government meeting if and only is there is signage stating the 30.06 statute.. Also the term premises excludes parking lost for schools. Just my 2 cents.

Please If I am wrong let me know I do not want to be breaking any laws!

Notice that it is only illegal for CHL holders to carry at a hospital, church, amusement park, or government meeting if and only is there is signage stating the 30.06 statute.. Also the term premises excludes parking lost for schools. Just my 2 cents.

You are correct except that I would add the sign has to be posted or someone standing at all entrances giving verbal warning that they do not allow guns in the church or handing out cards with the 30.06 info on them to everyone coming into the church. I doubt you will find that at many if any churches.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by dkirkland View Post
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

Sub section (b)
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

(5) in an amusement park; or

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

From what you have written you are not allowed to carry your gun at church sign or no sign, and the pastor can not give you permission.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

my pastor carries all the time and encourages those with cwp to carry also
    (RIA .45 cs)
    Thou shall not murder... Deut. 5:17 By definition murder is the taking of innocent life. If a criminal is coming at me, they are not innocent. Bang! Bang!

Quote Originally Posted by chroode View Post
    From what you have written you are not allowed to carry your gun at church sign or no sign, and the pastor can not give you permission.

In Texas the sign must be posted or written notice given to each person entering or verbal notice to each person entering. If the church does not do one of these three things then you may carry.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Interesting twist to my post above.. I will be preaching Sunday morning @ my church and I will be trying out my new IWB C-T.A.C holster. I feel much better with it then the the OWB that came with my 1911 a-1. I don't seem to print as much and I can tuck in my shirt.

Churches could be free fire zones if everyone left their firearms outside.

The first day I attended my church I went to lunch wih the pastor and his wife. I informed him that my wife and I had Texas CHL's and had had PA CHL's for 20 years prior to that. They both welcomed us to carry in church and were happy to have the extra security (we also have several LEO's in the congregation). Tell your pastor. If he/she disagrees move on and to quote scripture " ...shake off the dust of your feet."

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    The first day I attended my church I went to lunch wih the pastor and his wife. I informed him that my wife and I had Texas CHL's and had had PA CHL's for 20 years prior to that. They both welcomed us to carry in church and were happy to have the extra security (we also have several LEO's in the congregation). Tell your pastor. If he/she disagrees move on and to quote scripture " ...shake off the dust of your feet."
    Glad your pastor is on board with your discussion to carry in church. My pastor is aware that there are a lot of members that carry at our church. If I were attending a church that I was not sure how the pastor felt or if I attended a church and felt he was not in favor I would just keep quite about the fact I carried and continue to carry. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission. After all for the most part unless it is a close friend or family member the less people know you are armed the better. That way you are assured the element of surprise is on your side if you have an encounter with a BG.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast