reason to carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reason to carry

1. reason to carry

hello everyone. Have been a long time follower of the site but until recently hadn't joined. Guess I felt the need to tell my story. I got my ccw permit because I travel constantly for work and well get sent to some unsavory locations. recently got sent to Amarillo for a short project. was put up at a decent well known chain motel. one morning went to put my wifes purse in the truck figured it was safer than leaving it in the motel room. five minutes later looked out the room saw my ride to the jobsite was there to pick me up. while walking to the vehicle noticed the back window looked funny. long story short someone broke into my pickup and tried to steal it. I am now out thousands of dollars. had to rent a car drive 800 miles home for Christmas and have to return to pick truck up when steering column etc is repaired at the shop, definitely put a damper on my holidays. I didn't always carry my weapon but will from here on out, will always wonder what would have happened if things would have been a minute or two either way. guess stuff happens and hope there is something others can learn from my misfortune. if you have any advice on dealing with insurance companies your advice will be greatly appreciated lol. please always be prepared because you never know

How would you being armed have changed the outcome of this story?
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    How would you being armed have changed the outcome of this story?
    One would naturally assume, that being armed and spotting the thief, the history would definitely have been changed. Sad situation for him and one that he will never forget in future planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    One would naturally assume, that being armed and spotting the thief, the history would definitely have been changed. Sad situation for him and one that he will never forget in future planning.
    1. He didn't spot the thief and being armed wouldn't have given him sharper eyesight.

2. Had he spotted the thief, yelling "get away from my truck!" Would likely have had the desired result (I.E. The thief leaves). So unless he sees the thief and intends to hold him at gunpoint for the police (Which creates its own set of problems) the gun changes nothing.

Kinda like Raiders of the Lost Ark. Indiana Jones changes nothing. With him or without the Germans find the Ark, open it and die
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

But....but.....but.....

I thought that carrying around big chunk of the Element of Surprise concealed in a holster was supposed to ward off all evil like a magic talisman!?!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

7. Let us remember that carrying lethal force is for protecting us from a potentiality iminent threat to us and our loved ones.

reason to carry

Quote Originally Posted by TLN45 View Post
    Let us remember that carrying lethal force is for protecting us from a potentiality iminent threat to us and our loved ones.
    Unless if you're in Texas. I thought I read somewhere or heard somewhere that you can legally shoot someone in the back if you catch them running off with your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Unless if you're in Texas. I thought I read somewhere or heard somewhere that you can legally shoot someone in the back if you catch them running off with your property.

You better pin down that thought before acting upon it.

reason to carry

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    You better pin down that thought before acting upon it.
    Not sure how reliable this is but according to a post made by one of the moderators in this forum, you can. Sounds like it's advised to only do it for something expensive being stolen, not just for a shovel that some dude decided to swipe from your front porch...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I thought I read somewhere or heard somewhere that you can legally shoot someone in the back if you catch them running off with your property.
    "I thought I read or heard somewhere."

Try that as a defense in court and let us know how it works
    Barrett Tillman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast