My first Altercation while Carrying - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Altercation while Carrying

I was at a pawn shop a while back, looking seriously at a 1911 I wanted to buy.

I wanted to inspect the rifling in the barrel, but the owner was adamant that I not rack

the slide. Apparently looky-lous come in, take a 1911, and just start horsing the slide

back and forth, vigorously, for no good reason. There is more than one side to the coin.

3. Nice Job man

4. Yeah.... real good job not killing anyone over a air gun......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. Good job handling that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. In my six years carrying I've only had to put my hand on it once(not pulling it). I heard a loud noise outside my back door that sound like street work. Out of curiosity I went to look outside. I found a car parked outside the door next to my shop van. Underneath were legs, so I yelled "what the hell are you doing under my van"?

This shocked the guy who was attempting to cut off my catalytic converter. Out came flying a saw, then him. As he grabbed for the saw I grabbed my gun in case he came towards me. Instead, he ran to his car from behind. I proceeded to follow to the back of his car to get his tag, he sped off backwards before I could get it. Cost me 25.00 bucks to get welded.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I have the pleasure of working a gun counter in a sporting goods/hardware store. Of course this means I deal with large amount of people on a daily basis. Today however, I had to deal with a customer who did not like our store's policy's well. When I informed the customer of our policy about dry firing pellet rifles(which is a "dry fire you buy it" policy) he was upset. It is totally fair to be unhappy after you break this policy, but unfortunately the sign disappeared and one rifle(Only one rifle out of the 8 on the rack) was missing its trigger lock. I asked the customer to not do it again, and I would fix the unsafe rifle and make a sign to replace the other one.

Here is where the fun starts. After I started to walk away with said rifle, the customer began to cuss at my female coworker about his opinion of the policy and how he is not liable because he didn't know. When I turned around, he started yelling at me, and making other customers unhappy with his very colorful vocabulary. This is when I politely told him "Sir, I do not appreciate your yelling. This is a private establishment, and we have the right to refuse service. You know where the door is, I would appreciate it if you would use it." He the said some more nice things and walked toward the door.

I then walked the rifle to the shop where we work on guns to place a trigger safety on it, and decided I wanted a coke from the machine near the front of the store. When I was walked up to the front of the store, the customer reappeared and told me how I am not allowed to treat him that way, and flashed some lapel pins at me to include a purple heart. My response was "Buddy, I am a Senior Airman. I don't care who you are, if you don't show me respect, or my coworkers, I am sure not going to treat you like a brother." And pointed toward the door. It is also important to know that his man was not clean shaven, had shaggy hair, and appeared to be no older than 18. He then bowed up to me and informed me "You know I can mess you up."

Mind you, this is all happening inside the store where customers are begin to turn to watch.

Realizing this escalated to him wanting to physically fight, I knew I needed to de-escalate this. I did not say anything more before I walked to the front of the store and grabbed a coke out of the cooler, and he followed very close as to get a reaction out of me. I turned, opened my coke, took a sip, and said "Sir, the door hasn't moved. I am sure I do not need a reminder of where it is."

With my calm and collected response to his immature actions, he stormed out of the store.

I thought about my firearm as soon as he threatened me, but I was never afraid of my life nor my well being. I was afraid of a physical altercation in my workplace, and the potential for it to further an upset person as to maybe win over my firearm if it became apparent I had one during the struggle.

I think as concealed carriers, we have an obligation to use our words to best de-escalate a situation from the need for lethal force if at all possible. My blood pressure was high, and I come from a place where two guys in a disagreement are told to fight it out and forget it. But now that I carry as of recently, I don't think that it is the best course of action. Thankfully, I have been in a few situation already in my military career where I figured de-escalting a fight was better than the consequences of fighting. This I think translated well into carrying your firearm.

Thanks for reading my story, please tell me what you thought and how you may have done things differently. I also want to hear about yalls confrontations that went well and why you handled them the way you did.
    This isn't exactly my idea of "de-escalating" but it is still better than getting into a live shootout.

Whenever I am trying to de-escalate I simply apologize profusely. That is infinitely better then filling out all the paperwork after you have shot somebody. I was in a situation like that recently at a bar when someone else got really pissed off at me because his girlfriend and I bumped into each other. Alcohol does that to others. Normally when sober this guy is very polite. However he is a mean drunk always looking for a fight.

It sounds like you set your guy off. Then from there it became a verbal pissing contest. In situations like that I have found it is best to remain silent so as not to further provoke the other person further. Just let them talk. Eventually they will shut up if you are not answering them.

My thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mikestone967 View Post
    Let's see if I have this straight, so far....

You work in an Ace Hardware. Some dude comes in and handles the merchandise.
    This dude dry fires an air gun and you harass him into leaving.
    You worry that you may have set this dude off and you have a gun on you...

Right so far? (To a degree, of course!)

If your first thought drift to your gun in times of retail grief..... maybe you don't have the mentality to carry...
    Agree. Maybe wired too tight to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by x.guillory View Post
    Great job de-escalating. I personally would like to dry fire a firearm (even a pellet gun) before purchasing, just my opinion.
    Again, great job keeping your cool.
    I have no use for a pellet gun.

And whenever I dry fire a firearm I always use a dummy round.

If they don't have dummy rounds available then I will buy a pack on the spot if I am seriously considering buying a firearm off the shelf.

So far however I have ordered all my firearms, and never bought one off the shelf. They just don't seem to stock what I want, and their display models don't usually meet my prerequisites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12