When local business post no weapons - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: When local business post no weapons

1. Thinkimg about it as far as PA theres a lot of businesses that have no gun policies but not many actually post signs... that i can think of at the moment its only movie theaters and ironically gun shows. Shoot youre even allowed to legally carry into bars and drink here.

3. I took a few kids to see the Lego Batman movie yesterday. I've been to this theater a dozen times, never saw a posting about guns. So we're standing in line outside and I'm just sort of looking around, half board, when what do I see in an upper corner of one of the theater windows but a no-gun sign. It was small. It looked handmade with markers on printer paper, sloppy. It was sort of tucked half behind a movie poster, not at all what I would say is "conspicuously placed". A (what I assume to be) grandparent in line ahead of us was OC'ing. I didn't hear anyone say a thing about it. I saw him buy tickets, snacks, and enter the theater with his party.

If the owner knew, the owner didn't care.

Of course, the owner never saw mine as it's cold out and I had a jacket on.

4. Perhaps this will be of some help.

Bikernut: You questions is one of those answered on the list. About weight of law and posted signs.

If your asked to leave, you need to leave...

https://www.usacarry.com/indiana_con...formation.html

Quote Originally Posted by seagullplayer View Post
    Perhaps this will be of some help.

Bikernut: You questions is one of those answered on the list. About weight of law and posted signs.

If your asked to leave, you need to leave...

https://www.usacarry.com/indiana_con...formation.html
    I appreciate the information but a FAQ isn't actual law.

I found this actual black letter law for Indiana...

Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure IN CODE 35-43-2-2 - See more at: Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure IN CODE 35-43-2-2 | FindLaw

-snip-

(b) A person who:

(1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
    -snip-

Edited: Found this also in the same place lower down...

-snip-
    (c) A person has been denied entry under subsection (b)(1) when the person has been denied entry by means of:

(1) personal communication, oral or written;

(2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public;  or
    - See more at: Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure IN CODE 35-43-2-2 | FindLaw
    bold added by me for emphasis...

But I fully agree that a person who has been asked to leave needs to leave. I think once asked to leave a person should immediately leave without engaging in an argument or a discussion about the law(s).

Oh.. and my purpose isn't be be nit picky about black letter law but is to inform folks that it is wise to read the actual law itself instead of relying on what someone (other than an attorney) says the law is. We who carry a gun need to know the actual law(s).

Having said that... I am not an attorney.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

Personally here in SC assuming it is legally posted. I would choose a different business. The penalty here is just too steep for me to push it. You just never know what might happen, that's why I carry in this first place

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    I am saying that with a concealed firearm that is properly concealed, nobody is ever going to know.
    I agree that nobody is ever going to know if your concealed firearm is properly concealed.

However, in some states, signs do carry the force of law. If somebody gets arrested for carrying past a sign that does carry the force of law, saying that they were encouraged to do so on the Internet is not going to help their case much.

8. I used to very much be "screw it, I'm carrying anyhow." But I've changed my mind on it.

First, I unarm and go in and ask for who's in charge. I then tell that person I'd like to discuss their no gun/weapons sign on the door. I explain to them that all the sign truly does is advertise to criminals that nobody inside has a weapon to defend themselves with. Sometimes I change the mind of the owner/manager, sometimes I don't.

If I can't convince them to take the sign down, I do my best to avoid the establishment (not always a possibility) and if I do have to go inside, I disarm. However, I do let it be known to management that I will file a hefty lawsuit if something happens and myself or someone I'm with gets hurt because your policy forced me to be unable to adequately defend myself.

There's one restaurant I go to where they have the sign up and I do carry. The sign is up because the city's chamber of commerce gave signs to every business in the city asking them to post them on all entrances to their business and he did, mostly because when it wasn't up the next time someone from the chamber came in they went on a rant about it. He said as long as a concealed carrier keeps it concealed unless a need to draw it happens, he doesn't have a problem with it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Irishguy824 View Post
    There's one restaurant I go to where they have the sign up and I do carry. The sign is up because the city's chamber of commerce gave signs to every business in the city asking them to post them on all entrances to their business and he did, mostly because when it wasn't up the next time someone from the chamber came in they went on a rant about it. He said as long as a concealed carrier keeps it concealed unless a need to draw it happens, he doesn't have a problem with it.
    If the sign has the power of law where you are, this is a bad idea. Anyone who happens to see and report you will cause you to lose your carry rights and spend some time in jail. The personal position of the manager will not have any effect on the results.

When local business post no weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Irishguy824 View Post
    I used to very much be "screw it, I'm carrying anyhow." But I've changed my mind on it.
    I haven't. Lol. The only time I might ever consider it is when I'm in a state that gives these morons' signs force of law.

First, I unarm and go in and ask for who's in charge. I then tell that person I'd like to discuss their no gun/weapons sign on the door. I explain to them that all the sign truly does is advertise to criminals that nobody inside has a weapon to defend themselves with. Sometimes I change the mind of the owner/manager, sometimes I don't.
    Sometimes I think it would be cool to educate someone about the ignorance of their sign but for one, I try not to get involved with people's stupidity and two, it just ain't worth my time. I got better things to do than tell people how much an idiot they're being.

Don't get me wrong, if you've changed a few minds and corrected some ignorance, that's great and all but, I don't see it as my business or responsibility to go on an "informing" mission to all these people who think robbers, muggers and thieves will follow a no-guns sign.
    --snipped because I already addressed it in the first paragraph--
    However, I do let it be known to management that I will file a hefty lawsuit if something happens and myself or someone I'm with gets hurt because your policy forced me to be unable to adequately defend myself.
    Well, after the one thing that's been established in this thread and another one like it, how would you have any grounds to sue them? I would think the most likely response from the "gun-haters" lawyer would be that for one, you enter an your own risk and two, nobody forced you to go in there.

Which needless to say is why I carry regardless. That way I would never foolishly put my safety in their hands.

I take it this is a state that gives these bozos force of law? Unless I'm missing something, this would really be the only logical explanation as to why this restaurant owner is being told to restrict and outlaw defensive carry.

11. Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I haven't. Lol. The only time I might ever consider it is when I'm in a state that gives these morons' signs force of law.

Sometimes I think it would be cool to educate someone about the ignorance of their sign but for one, I try not to get involved with people's stupidity and two, it just ain't worth my time. I got better things to do than tell people how much an idiot they're being.

Don't get me wrong, if you've changed a few minds and corrected some ignorance, that's great and all but, I don't see it as my business or responsibility to go on an "informing" mission to all these people who think robbers, muggers and thieves will follow a no-guns sign.

Well, after the one thing that's been established in this thread and another one like it, how would you have any grounds to sue them? I would think the most likely response from the "gun-haters" lawyer would be that for one, you enter an your own risk and two, nobody forced you to go in there.

Which needless to say is why I carry regardless. That way I would never foolishly put my safety in their hands.

I take it this is a state that gives these bozos force of law? Unless I'm missing something, this would really be the only logical explanation as to why this restaurant owner is being told to restrict and outlaw defensive carry.
    In Ohio, it's only a charge of trespassing, and that's only if you don't leave when asked to. However that charge comes with a $400 fine + court costs (you must show up in court even to just plead guilty). You won't lose your 2A right or your CCW for a trespassing charge.

The restaurant owner keeps the sign up because when he didn't put it up right away the chamber of commerce bitched at him that they spent the money on the signs to keep people safe inside businesses in the city.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast