When To Pull and or Shoot - Page 10
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: When To Pull and or Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I also do not care for pepper spray since wind can blow it back into your own face incapacitating you as much as your attacker. And if there are more than one attacker and you are hit by your own pepper spray you just gave the others you didn't spray a big advantage.

Not to mention that even with pepper gels if you have to struggle with that attacker any pepper on him is now on you and incapacitating you too.
    Thanks Bikenut. I agree with you.

I had not thought of those additional liabilities regarding pepper spray that you mentioned though. But you are right.

My thinking is that I am not going to employ some spray can of something when my life depends on it.

For a human adversary, my 45ACP is going to be my deterrent and defender.

For a larger animal, my 12 gauge shotgun will be, loaded with magnum slugs alternating with double-aught buckshot. This would kill even an elephant at close range.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Well if they don't look into the light then they are not looking at me at all or their eyes are closed, so either way they cannot see.

An extremely bright flashing strobe light works wonders on people and on other animals.

While they are blinded I am backing away getting ready to shoot them if I need to.
    You said "nonlethal tool" and didn't mention a gun so that changes the circumstances.

You hold the flashlight in your left hand like a cigar (do you smoke cigars?).
    I don't smoke anything.

And you hold the pistol in your right hand (if you prefer -- I am ambidextrous -- born left handed and made to switch to right by the teachers).

And you can complete your two handed pistol hold (called a Surfire Technique in the attached article) holding the light like a cigar.

Works like a charm. Then they are blinded as well as being dead to rites in your sights.

4 Tactical light techniques for concealed carry | The Daily Caller
    Yes, I know about that. But you didn't mention the gun in your previous post. You made it seem like you were using only a flashlight.

I also do not care for pepper spray since wind can blow it back into your own face incapacitating you as much as your attacker. And if there are more than one attacker and you are hit by your own pepper spray you just gave the others you didn't spray a big advantage.

Not to mention that even with pepper gels if you have to struggle with that attacker any pepper on him is now on you and incapacitating you too.
    Thank you for giving your reasons. Those are also why I'm leery of using it, too, except under very specific circumstances.

I was just wondering if HKS had some other specific reason for not using it since he didn't say in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    You said "nonlethal tool" and didn't mention a gun so that changes the circumstances.

I don't smoke anything.

Yes, I know about that. But you didn't mention the gun in your previous post. You made it seem like you were using only a flashlight.
    Dear Sweet Reba, former USN Chief Petty Officer ...

EVERYONE who knows me knows I carry my 45ACP with me 24/7/365 everywhere even to Catholic Mass.

I carry my pocket flashlight with me everywhere too.

Dear Sweet Reba, former USN Chief Petty Officer ...

EVERYONE who knows me knows I carry my 45ACP with me 24/7/365 everywhere even to Catholic Mass.

I carry my pocket flashlight with me everywhere too.
    I wasn't questioning that. I just thought you posted a nonlethal alternative. Certainly not every confrontation you have requires a lethal response?

Please just call me Reba and show the same respect that I show for you.

I wasn't questioning that. I just thought you posted a nonlethal alternative. Certainly not every confrontation you have requires a lethal response?...
    Sorry if I was vague. A good writer is always clear and concise. My bad.

About the only time I am not armed with my 45ACP is when I need to go over to a Federal building for whatever reason -- to visit the IRS or the Social Security Admin, etc. They have metal detectors and armed security at their entrances however, so it is a very level playing field inside.

That's the only time I bring non-lethal means only -- my flashlight. The guards always ask me -- "What is this?"

I say, "It's a pocket flashlight."

They always say, "Oh, ok, fine."

The BSA teaches you to be "always prepared" and the USMC teaches you to be "always faithful". So having been thusly trained and conditioned and brainwashed at an early age, I always try to be prepared and faithful in every situation.

So therefore if the power goes out I want to be able to see how to get the fokk out of that building, or any building. Plus it works well as a fighting deterrent.

My harness boots work well too. They can crush somebody's toes and feet under the weight of my 200+ lbs of trained and daily exercised body mass. I work out in the weight room every other day except for Sundays (which is for Church). I also jog and exercise (sit ups, push ups, pull ups) on alternating days when I am not weightlifting except on Sundays (remember what Sunday's are for ?!).

Plus I wrestled in high school and also won my first black belt in Shotokan in college by kumite -- competition.

So I am never really unarmed. The firearm is just a tool. The hands and feet are thus tools as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumite

Please just call me Reba and show the same respect that I show for you.
    Since you are a bit (actually quite a bit) older than me, I would normally call you Ma'am, out of respect, as I do all people older than me.

But a lot of people don't like being called Sir or Ma'am.

Sorry if I was vague. A good writer is always clear and concise. My bad.

About the only time I am not armed with my 45ACP is when I need to go over to a Federal building for whatever reason -- to visit the IRS or the Social Security Admin, etc. They have metal detectors and armed security at their entrances however, so it is a very level playing field inside.

That's the only time I bring non-lethal means only -- my flashlight. The guards always ask me -- "What is this?"

I say, "It's a pocket flashlight."

They always say, "Oh, ok, fine."

The BSA teaches you to be "always prepared" and the USMC teaches you to be "always faithful". So therefore if the power goes out I want to be able to see how to get the fokk out of that building, or any building. Plus it works well as a fighting deterrent.

My harness boots work well too. They can crush somebody's toes and feet under the weight of my 200+ lbs of trained and daily exercised body mass. I work out in the weight room every other day except for Sundays (which is for Church). I also jog and exercise (sit ups, push ups, pull ups) on alternating days when I am not weightlifting except on Sundays (remember what Sunday's are for ?!).

Plus I wrestled in high school and also won my first black belt in Shotokan in college by kumite -- competition.

So I am never really unarmed. The firearm is just a tool. The hands and feet are thus tools as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumite
    Thank you for the clarification.

When To Pull and or Shoot

Yes, both are risks of using pepper spray or gel. In addition, they don't necessarily help with a determined attacker. That's why distance is your friend and the concept of using pepper spray/gel as a weapon to intervene in a situation and putting yourself in danger is misguided. It is a last non-lethal resort.

11. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You said that you would pepper spray him, which is confronting him. You said nothing about just staying away. Distance is your friend!

A pipe is a deadly weapon. Think about that for a moment. Pepper spray works best up close. It really is not a good option for self defense against someone wielding a pipe. If some one is wielding a pipe against me, I am likely going to shoot, as I would be in fear of my life. However, you weren't talking about self defense anyway. You were talking about defending your windshield, hence my comment.

I am carrying pepper spray myself and have used it in the past to escape an attack. I was surrounded by 3 guys. One of them was beating me up. I pepper sprayed all three, which created space enough, so I could flee. I recently changed to carrying pepper gel.
    I stated I would do as the guy that pulled away did, but that I would rather spray him and kick him in the head a few times.if I sprayed him, it would be from across the car.

I've ordered a spray that puts out a good foam spread. At least it did in the YouTube review.

https://youtu.be/PMpZCbM3lKQ
    10:00 point
    Multiple Pepper Sprays Compared

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast