When To Pull and or Shoot - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: When To Pull and or Shoot

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Yeah, we've all been to that self-defense academy. Good choice.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    I stated I would do as the guy that pulled away did, but that I would rather spray him and kick him in the head a few times.if I sprayed him, it would be from across the car.
    When spraying someone from across the car, you would be committing an assault to protect your property from damage. Did you check with your state's laws if this would be legal?

Again, kicking someone in the head is aggravated assault and will land you in jail if your only justification is that you protected your property. The other person would have a right to self defense and could legally kill you. Just food for thoughts.

I've ordered a spray that puts out a good foam spread. At least it did in the YouTube review.

https://youtu.be/PMpZCbM3lKQ
    10:00 point
    Multiple Pepper Sprays Compared
    About the gel vs. foam argument, here is the manufacturer's advice:

I am not sure why you had to "order" spray, but both variants are available at many stores.

I highly advise against carrying a can with the twist tab (like the one you apparently purchased) in a pant pocket. The tab can twist from the "safe" to the "fire" position on its own in the pant pocket. Now, you just need to apply some pressure to the tab and it starts spraying. I accidentally activated my Sabre Red Pepper Spray in my jeans pocket pants when sitting down, twice, at two different instances. Call it a negligent discharge, if you will. After that, I moved to the Sabre Red Pepper Gel with the safer flip-top design.

Initially always buy two, one for carrying and one for practice. If you never practiced with it, how do you expect to defend yourself with it?

4. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    When spraying someone from across the car, you would be committing an assault to protect your property from damage. Did you check with your state's laws if this would be legal?

Again, kicking someone in the head is aggravated assault and will land you in jail if your only justification is that you protected your property. The other person would have a right to self defense and could legally kill you. Just food for thoughts.

About the gel vs. foam argument, here is the manufacturer's advice:

I am not sure why you had to "order" spray, but both variants are available at many stores.

I highly advise against carrying a can with the twist tab (like the one you apparently purchased) in a pant pocket. The tab can twist from the "safe" to the "fire" position on its own in the pant pocket. Now, you just need to apply some pressure to the tab and it starts spraying. I accidentally activated my Sabre Red Pepper Spray in my jeans pocket pants when sitting down, twice, at two different instances. Call it a negligent discharge, if you will. After that, I moved to the Sabre Red Pepper Gel with the safer flip-top design.

Initially always buy two, one for carrying and one for practice. If you never practiced with it, how do you expect to defend yourself with it?
    Are you a robot that does not sense sarcasm?

No, I'm not going to worry what big brother thinks when a jackass is bashing my windshield with a pipe. I'll shoot him with pepper spray to,attempt to stop the attack.

No, I'm not going to worry what big brother thinks when a jackass is bashing my windshield with a pipe. I'll shoot him with pepper spray to,attempt to stop the attack.
    As I said it numerous times before, you clearly have no clue about the law. You don't have to worry about "big brother", what ever that even means in this case. You certainly have to worry about the jury of your peers that will be judging your actions.

A pipe is a deadly weapon and with it an opponent could kill you.

That's NOT the time to use a less-lethal weapon.

That's when you should shoot to kill.

And if there were any doubt in my mind in the circumstances, I would at least put one bullet into the right shoulder and another bullet into the left shoulder, and even a few more, until he/she dropped the pipe.

A pipe is a deadly weapon and with it an opponent could kill you.
    If and only if the opponent is within reach with that pipe. Think about the Tueller Drill as an example for what that could mean.

That's NOT the time to use a less-lethal weapon.
    I agree with that in any case.

That's when you should shoot to kill.
    We shoot to stop the attack. Killing the attacker may be a side effect. If you miss and the attack stops, then you can't legally "kill" the guy.

And if there were any doubt in my mind in the circumstances, I would at least put one bullet into the right shoulder and another bullet into the left shoulder, and even a few more, until he/she dropped the pipe.
    Absolute and complete nonsense from a self defense and medical perspective. This poster watches way too much TV. There is not a single vital organ in the shoulder! In contrast to the entire body, the shoulder is a small target to hit under stress.

2 rapid shots to the center of mass, what ever that means in terms of visible mass. When that doesn't stop the attack, 1 shot to the head. Repeat if that fails, such as due to misses.

Never point a gun at anyone that you don't intend to kill.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

9. IMO comments on this thread really brings home how important jury selection is should you ever have to sit before one!

In the second video of the old man with the cane on the bus. I knew an old guy that carried a crow-bar as a cane.
    He faced down three guys that tried to mug him one night. They all ended up in the hospital, but he was the first one out by more than a week.

I would have helped out the bus driver, but seeing whats on the video, I wouldn't have used a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by seagullplayer View Post
    IMO comments on this thread really brings home how important jury selection is should you ever have to sit before one!

In the second video of the old man with the cane on the bus. I knew an old guy that carried a crow-bar as a cane.
    He faced down three guys that tried to mug him one night. They all ended up in the hospital, but he was the first one out by more than a week.

I would have helped out the bus driver, but seeing whats on the video, I wouldn't have used a firearm.
    It behooves everyone to try and de-escalate a situation first before using their firearm, if possible, if it involves themselves.

The first step is stop talking and let the other person vent.

The next step is finish your drink and leave, or ask for your food to go in a box.

I have seen others get into it with each other at bars, and I have never interfered. But they did not start fighting they were just verbally abusing each other.

My feeling is that it is not wise to get involved, because if you have your firearm with you, then your first duty is to protect that firearm so that it does not fall into the wrong hands. If you get involved you are risking that happening to your firearm.

11. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    It behooves everyone to try and de-escalate a situation first before using their firearm, if possible, if it involves themselves.

The first step is stop talking and let the other person vent.

The next step is finish your drink and leave, or ask for your food to go in a box.

I have seen others get into it with each other at bars, and I have never interfered. But they did not start fighting they were just verbally abusing each other.

My feeling is that it is not wise to get involved, because if you have your firearm with you, then your first duty is to protect that firearm so that it does not fall into the wrong hands. If you get involved you are risking that happening to your firearm.
    You have the right idea. But in the bus situation it was too far gone for talking.
    Once he drug the bus driver out of the seat, it became something different.

I wouldn't interfere with two drunks in a bar, they are mutual participants.
    But when one person is clearly the victim such as the bus driver, I couldn't sleep at night if I thought I could help and didn't.
    Apparently the old dude with the cane thought the same way.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast