When To Pull and or Shoot - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 151

Thread: When To Pull and or Shoot

  1. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    Another experience I had once was at a theater. As with most theaters it was posted. I carried anyway. I was in a line to see a movie and when getting near the entrance, I saw that they were wanding and checking purses. I figured this would lead to some form of confrontation, but I knew the law was on my side to just leave if asked. Strangely, they missed my gun with the wand that was IWB on my right side. He just didn't go high enough.

    I'm in OK where signs carry no legal weight. I also wonder just how aware businesses are of their limits when they find a customer armed.

    Let's assume they found me armed, but instead of asking me to leave, they attempted to confiscate your gun. What would you do?
    Wow, that was lucky and brave of you.

    I would have turned around and said "honey we need to find another theatre sorry".

  2.   
  3. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    (Re: BOFH) ... Your advice is appreciated, your god like attitude and claiming I'm a fantasy nut is not.
    BOFH is a good one to put onto your ignore list.

    Then when his trees fall in the forest they won't make a sound.

  4. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    This is why I'd like to see other scenarios presented. These are real issues that some may encounter. IMO, many may not be prepared due to questioning themselves. I would like to remove as many questions as possible, at least for myself. Here is a situation I read in a forum:

    Brandished to de-escalate road rage. Did not enjoy it.
    u/scoobydoobydoodle2y
    Driving home after a pleasant lunch, this overly macho bro apparently didn't like the way I merged into traffic. He started tailgating very closely and yelling and throwing up inappropriate gestures. Pulled up beside me for a bit to scream as we drove.

    I was getting tired of it after about a mile and decided to turn slowly into a random residential neighborhood that I knew had several turns where I could make it look like I was just driving to my house. He turned into the neighborhood with me. I continued and turned again. He turned with me. All the while, he was staying close on my tail and waving hand signs of some kind.

    Finally, I turned again and he went straight. I thought it was over so I continued to drive out of the neighborhood to get back on the road to go home. As I came to the next intersection in the neighborhood, he came roaring up to the crossing and swerved right in front of me, stopping just a couple feet from my bumper. My only escape was to reverse.

    At that moment, he brandished what looked to be a very very large screw driver and started pointing at me with it through his window and yelling what looked to be "I'm gonna ******* you up!" At that point, he opened his door and stepped half way out, which wasn't far from my car. Only ten feet or so. Since I already had my firearm in my lap as a precaution when he started following me through the neighborhood, I picked it up and showed it to him through the windshield. I did not point it at him. I simply displayed that I had a gun.

    He yelled a little more while I kept my gun visible in my hand resting on the wheel. Then he got back in his car, flipped me the bird, and sped off like a wannabe badass.

    I was shaking. I don't carry because I love the idea of hurting someone. I carry so I can defend and protect myself. I've never been in a serious physical fight in my life. I'm the kind of guy that can talk my way out of most hairy situations. I'm reasonable. But today, I felt like the only thing that kept that man from trying to hurt me was the fact that I was well armed and he would get the raw end of the deal.

    Now all I'm thinking is, what if he'd had a gun, too?

    Edit: Thanks for all the advice! I definitely should have called the police. I honestly didn't even think about it until after I was home and the adrenaline had worn off. I do think brandishing at the moment I did was ok. I couldn't reverse due to cars coming up behind me and I don't feel ok brandishing after the guy is already into active attack mode. At that point, it's too late to de-escalate the situation IMO.
    To avoid road rage situations like this where someone is following you, I would call the highway patrol if on the freeway or the police if on city roads -- with your cell phone (which everyone should always have with them).

    If you actually ended up shooting somebody, there is tons of paperwork and lots of interrogation, even if you are "justified". But the police will decide if you were "justified" or not.

    And also in any actual confrontation where the outcome is uncertain, your odds at best are going to be only 50% and those are not great odds.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    To avoid road rage situations like this where someone is following you, I would call the highway patrol if on the freeway or the police if on city roads -- with your cell phone (which everyone should always have with them).

    If you actually ended up shooting somebody, there is tons of paperwork and lots of interrogation, even if you are "justified". But the police will decide if you were "justified" or not.

    And also in any actual confrontation where the outcome is uncertain, your odds at best are going to be only 50% and those are not great odds.
    I believe it to be normality that once an aggressor knows that his victim is armed he will cease unless he is also armed "and" determined, which I also believe is rare. This is why I believe showing under what are or may appear to be imminent circumstances makes sense. I continuously question how to handle a possible attack everyday when I open my business. So far, when someone approaches me in the dark, my plan has been to yell "stop I'm armed" with hand on gun and hopefully have pepper spray at ready. If they continue, they get sprayed while I'm backing, then the gun comes out.....

  6. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    BOFH is a good one to put onto your ignore list.

    Then when his trees fall in the forest they won't make a sound.
    Of all the years and many posters I've debated, he has come the closest to being put on ignore. I haven't put anyone on ignore yet and don't plan to. I prefer to see every word said in discussions. I will say that he reminds me of someone with no life that has found gun training and discussion his life, while a cop wannabe. He seems to provide decent advice and information, but trips over his immature people skills.

  7. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    Of all the years and many posters I've debated, he has come the closest to being put on ignore. I haven't put anyone on ignore yet and don't plan to. I prefer to see every word said in discussions. I will say that he reminds me of someone with no life that has found gun training and discussion his life, while a cop wannabe. He seems to provide decent advice and information, but trips over his immature people skills.
    LOL. Immature people skills. LOL. I manage people in real life. This is an Internet forum, where many of the usual consequences of personal interaction do not exist. LOL.

    My life is significantly more interesting than yours, by the way. Thanks to my job, I get to see the world. Thanks to one of my numerous hobbies, I am currently recovering from an extreme sports injury.

    As for cop wannabe, you should look in the mirror. Based on your own statements, it is you that wants to play cop. You are also only on this forum for a short period of time, so you have no clue about my personal opinions of cops anyway.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    LOL. Immature people skills. LOL. I manage people in real life. This is an Internet forum, where many of the usual consequences of personal interaction do not exist. LOL.

    My life is significantly more interesting than yours, by the way. Thanks to my job, I get to see the world. Thanks to one of my numerous hobbies, I am currently recovering from an extreme sports injury.

    As for cop wannabe, you should look in the mirror. Based on your own statements, it is you that wants to play cop. You are also only on this forum for a short period of time, so you have no clue about my personal opinions of cops anyway.
    Actually, I think I'm wrong about the cop thing. Other post I've read appear that you have a bias against them. As to the rest of your post, I'll let the forum decide.

  9. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    I believe it to be normality that once an aggressor knows that his victim is armed he will cease unless he is also armed "and" determined, which I also believe is rare. This is why I believe showing under what are or may appear to be imminent circumstances makes sense. I continuously question how to handle a possible attack everyday when I open my business. So far, when someone approaches me in the dark, my plan has been to yell "stop I'm armed" with hand on gun and hopefully have pepper spray at ready. If they continue, they get sprayed while I'm backing, then the gun comes out.....
    I think you would be surprised how many irrational people there are out there.
    Their reaction would be to dare you to shoot them.
    And then you will have tons of paperwork and a rather unpleasant interrogation procedure to go through if you give them their wish.
    The best thing is certainly to avoid shooting anyone anytime.
    And this therefore means that you will need to endeavor to keep your firearm concealed whenever possible for as long as possible.

  10. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    Of all the years and many posters I've debated, he has come the closest to being put on ignore. I haven't put anyone on ignore yet and don't plan to. I prefer to see every word said in discussions. I will say that he reminds me of someone with no life that has found gun training and discussion his life, while a cop wannabe. He seems to provide decent advice and information, but trips over his immature people skills.
    Here on this forum there are about a dozen user-accounts that you absolutely NEED to put on "ignore" really fast.

    Otherwise you will be wasting a whole lot of time reading their crap.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    I think you would be surprised how many irrational people there are out there.
    Their reaction would be to dare you to shoot them.
    And then you will have tons of paperwork and a rather unpleasant interrogation procedure to go through if you give them their wish.
    The best thing is certainly to avoid shooting anyone anytime.
    And this therefore means that you will need to endeavor to keep your firearm concealed whenever possible for as long as possible.
    I'm not a confrontational guy. Anyone pushing a dare will get pepper spray first. I have a BIL that is a detective. I'm going to get his opinion and advice on some scenarios.
    Funny thing today. I was at a fellow contractors shop. He asked me if I had my gun. He told me one of his customers was parked exactly where I was when a nut attacked his windshield with a pipe. He said the guy sped off and called the police. Made me wonder what I would do. I guess doing the same works. Of course, I'd rather pepper spray him and kick him in the head a few times.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast