When To Pull and or Shoot - Page 9
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: When To Pull and or Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    I'm not a confrontational guy. Anyone pushing a dare will get pepper spray first. I have a BIL that is a detective. I'm going to get his opinion and advice on some scenarios.
    Funny thing today. I was at a fellow contractors shop. He asked me if I had my gun. He told me one of his customers was parked exactly where I was when a nut attacked his windshield with a pipe. He said the guy sped off and called the police. Made me wonder what I would do. I guess doing the same works. Of course, I'd rather pepper spray him and kick him in the head a few times.
    Different states have different rules about defending your property from theft and/or vandalism.

You would be surprised how many do not justify using deadly force to prevent a car thief from stealing or vandalizing your car.

You need to check and see what your state laws say.

I'm not a confrontational guy. Anyone pushing a dare will get pepper spray first. I have a BIL that is a detective. I'm going to get his opinion and advice on some scenarios.
    Funny thing today. I was at a fellow contractors shop. He asked me if I had my gun. He told me one of his customers was parked exactly where I was when a nut attacked his windshield with a pipe. He said the guy sped off and called the police. Made me wonder what I would do. I guess doing the same works. Of course, I'd rather pepper spray him and kick him in the head a few times.
    You are setting yourself up for failure here. Why would you ever get in close contact with anyone voluntarily that poses a risk you you? Is your car windshield worth your life? You have no idea if the other person carries a firearm. Pepper spray him and you just might get shot.

Also, the use of pepper spray is technically assault. A kick in the head is aggravated assault. Over a windshield? I hope you have a good lawyer. You will need one.

Also, if the other person knows some MMA or is just stronger than you and kicks you to the ground, what now? Are you going to shoot him? This is exactly how people end up getting charged with manslaughter or murder.

What's your personal objective here?

You have clearly the wrong mindset. Property is replaceable, life is not!

I guess this video needs to be posted. Stupid is as stupid does.

Charges likely for shooter who killed Walmart shoplifter, deputies say

5. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You are setting yourself up for failure here. Why would you ever get in close contact with anyone voluntarily that poses a risk you you? Is your car windshield worth your life? You have no idea if the other person carries a firearm. Pepper spray him and you just might get shot.

Also, the use of pepper spray is technically assault. A kick in the head is aggravated assault. Over a windshield? I hope you have a good lawyer. You will need one.

Also, if the other person knows some MMA or is just stronger than you and kicks you to the ground, what now? Are you going to shoot him? This is exactly how people end up getting charged with manslaughter or murder.

What's your personal objective here?

You have clearly the wrong mindset. Property is replaceable, life is not!
    The guy was a local drunk with a pipe. And, I did not say I would confront him. Having the option to pull away is my first choice.
    I'm guessing you are against pepper spraying to avoid shooting first also?

The guy was a local drunk with a pipe. And, I did not say I would confront him. Having the option to pull away is my first choice.
    You said that you would pepper spray him, which is confronting him. You said nothing about just staying away. Distance is your friend!

A pipe is a deadly weapon. Think about that for a moment. Pepper spray works best up close. It really is not a good option for self defense against someone wielding a pipe. If some one is wielding a pipe against me, I am likely going to shoot, as I would be in fear of my life. However, you weren't talking about self defense anyway. You were talking about defending your windshield, hence my comment.

I am carrying pepper spray myself and have used it in the past to escape an attack. I was surrounded by 3 guys. One of them was beating me up. I pepper sprayed all three, which created space enough, so I could flee. I recently changed to carrying pepper gel.

Speaking of pepper spraying, as some of you were, I personally do not like this option.

I don't like it for use against people and I don't like it for use against bears either.

My only nonlethal tool is my extremely bright LED pocket flashlight. It will easily blind anyone and anything. And if they cannot see they cannot attack.

On defusing a confrontation, most of the literature on this and also the cop on TV on the Justice Network (channel) all say the best thing is not say anything, let them do all the talking, until they are finished venting, and then apologize profusely, the more profuse the better.

Extreme profuse apology carries with it a note of irony and sarcasm which should make it clear it is just a superficial apology.

Even so, a superficial apology is normally what bruised egos are looking for and it soothes their ears.

"Never try and reason with someone who is emotionally animated." That's what they say.

So having been confronted a couple of times within the past few months, my experience is to back away and keep your distance interval (just like Bruce Lee says in his books), keep your eyes on the opponent, be able to draw and shoot from the hip very quickly, and let the other person vent.

The tactics for successful defusing and defense are very similar and go hand in hand, so to speak.

It always all starts by being situationally away, keeping your distance and not letting anyone into your safety zone, then maintaining a safe distance interval.

Pulling over in traffic is a huge mistake and practically a challenge to the other.

Arguing is also a challenge to the other and only makes things worse.

But like Eli Wallach (R.I.P.) said as Tuco in "The Good The Bad And The Ugly" -- if you're going to shoot then shoot don't talk.

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Speaking of pepper spraying, as some of you were, I personally do not like this option.

I don't like it for use against people and I don't like it for use against bears either.
    Why is that?

My only nonlethal tool is my extremely bright LED pocket flashlight. It will easily blind anyone and anything. And if they cannot see they cannot attack.
    Are you sure about that? What if they don't look into the light? I don't trust the idea that if they cannot see they cannot attack. Attackers do have other senses.

I also do not care for pepper spray since wind can blow it back into your own face incapacitating you as much as your attacker. And if there are more than one attacker and you are hit by your own pepper spray you just gave the others you didn't spray a big advantage.

Not to mention that even with pepper gels if you have to struggle with that attacker any pepper on him is now on you and incapacitating you too.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. - J. C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    Why is that?

Are you sure about that? What if they don't look into the light? I don't trust the idea that if they cannot see they cannot attack. Attackers do have other senses.
    Well if they don't look into the light then they are not looking at me at all or their eyes are closed, so either way they cannot see.

An extremely bright flashing strobe light works wonders on people and on other animals.

While they are blinded I am backing away getting ready to shoot them if I need to.

You hold the flashlight in your left hand like a cigar (do you smoke cigars?).

And you hold the pistol in your right hand (if you prefer -- I am ambidextrous -- born left handed and made to switch to right by the teachers).

And you can complete your two handed pistol hold (called a Surfire Technique in the attached article) holding the light like a cigar.

Works like a charm. Then they are blinded as well as being dead to rites in your sights.

4 Tactical light techniques for concealed carry | The Daily Caller

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast