Body Size Affecting Concealment? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Body Size Affecting Concealment?

I'm 6'6" 305lbs. I've been skinnier.

I carry a Glock 30 in an IWB holster from AKJ Concealaco AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.
    I also use Thunderwear when I have to buisness dress in a tucked in shirt. Gun Holsters Glock Holsters Concealment Holsters
    I live in AZ but if you live in a cold climate try something like this The Worlds Best Concealment Jacket and Tactical Undercover Solutions for CCW Permit Holders. Leather Conceal Carry Jacket for Poilce Law Enforcement and Military needs. Dual Holster System for 1911 Glock S&W Sigtac and other Firearms.

Being retired law enforcement I will tell you that whatever mode of carry you decide, stick with it. If you use more than one mode of carry when the time comes to instinctively reach for your gun, it won't be there. Limit yourself to two locations at the most. UNLOAD your gun, and UNLOAD your magazines, then practice, practice, practice, etc., your draw.

Go a size larger on your pant, but also on your shirts. The shirt being too snug is what will give you the imprint, especially when you bend over.

If you are new to carrying a gun. STOP TOUCHING IT. If it is in a holster it will stay there. The biggest give away is unconsciously touching it to make sure it is secure.

Pay the extra money for a handmade holster made specifically for the gun you are carrying. I personnaly like the open top style for easy draw, and since the holster is molded to the specific gun it will hold it in place even upside down.

I hope this advice helps.
    Last edited by chroode; 03-14-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

I'm 6'1" @ 270, so similar to your body size/shape I'm sure. I am 100% happy with the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Even with my frame, and gut, I can conceal my XD 45 Compact without any issues - even with just a t-shirt.

Pardon the speckles in the picture, I took them in the mirror - so they are backwards too...

My Website: Nerd with a .45

4. 6'2" 270 here. I carry all the time.

After trying a number of holsters and listening to the my local gun store owner about how IWB was not the way to go. I tried a cheap Desantis IWB. I loved it. It's comfortable and does not print nearly as much as OWB.

I use IWB for both my PPK .380 and my M&P 9mm now. I wear a tee shirt tucked in to avoid skin irritation and a loose print shirt un-tucked and you would have to frisk me to know I'm carrying.

Ok...I've heard for y'all large guys...

What about us SMALL guys?

I'm 5'6" and 140 lbs... Carry a Baretta 96 when I can wear a vest or jacket...conceals ok.

PROBLEM is...in summer! I wear Western shirts and jeans and raise cattle... Jackets are not appropriate in summer and shirts not tucked in would be a dead giveaway given our rural area and my Western clothes.

Any ideas, suggestions??? Help??? LOL!

I carry a full-size 1911 in a strong side slide holster. In the summer, I've taken to wearing a vest for concealment. It conceals perfectly fine and I can get the weapon out fast if I need to. This might work for your Western state attire.

JJFlash

7. if I may i like to jump on this suggestion bus for us larger people. I am 5' 9" and 255lbs and carry a glock 19. I cannot find a comfortable holster. Right now I don' carry it to be honest because it's hard to conceal. The winter will be easy because I have been carry a para ordiance P13 in the winter just fine but forget it in the spring/summer time so, I bought this firearm the G19 so I can carry it mainly when lighter clothing is required. thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    if I may i like to jump on this suggestion bus for us larger people. I am 5' 9" and 255lbs and carry a glock 19. I cannot find a comfortable holster. Right now I don' carry it to be honest because it's hard to conceal. The winter will be easy because I have been carry a para ordiance P13 in the winter just fine but forget it in the spring/summer time so, I bought this firearm the G19 so I can carry it mainly when lighter clothing is required. thanks
    Barber Leather Works You won't be dissapointed.

Glock 30 and 19 holsters ready to ship - Glock Talk

Barber Leather Works - Glock Talk

A+ for barber leather works - Glock Talk
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

9. Thanks, chroode I have already e-mailed the guy at Barber leather works waiting for a reply. I joined Glock world but, cannot start a new thread or even post a reply for that matter. Is there a waiting period before you can post? Any idea what they are selling for, I want a IWB. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Running Arrow Bill View Post
    What about us SMALL guys? I wear Western shirts and jeans and raise cattle... shirts not tucked in would be a dead giveaway given our rural area and my Western clothes.

Any ideas, suggestions??? Help??? LOL!

Running Bill, what part of Texas are you in? I have been around cowboys most my life and all around Texas (including the Alpine/Big Bend area, Odessa-Snyder-Denver City areas, Amarillo-Canyon area, and even Fort Worth), wore jeans, boots, and typically a long sleeved western style shirt with rolled up sleeves... I never tucked my shirt! There was the ocassional "church tuck" on a Sunday, but generally a jacket went along with that tuck!

I say, try a new look... set a new trend for your rural area and go with an un-tucked shirt! LOL! :)
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    Thanks, chroode I have already e-mailed the guy at Barber leather works waiting for a reply. I joined Glock world but, cannot start a new thread or even post a reply for that matter. Is there a waiting period before you can post? Any idea what they are selling for, I want a IWB. Thanks
    Barber Leather Works
    Products made and ready to ship!

Right now I have availible and ready to ship:

2- Glock 19/23/32 RH Black w/clips
    1- Glock 26/27/33 RH Black w/clips
    1- Glock 30 RH Black w/clips
    1- Colt 1911 Commander Black w/clips
    1- Glock 21 RH Lt Brown w/clips

The above are $85 each with free shipping to the lower 48. Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico extra.
    Overseas shipping is available please call or email for quote.

Ill try and keep this page as up to date as possible but please email to check for availability, Hurry they go fast!

Also i think it takes a couple of days to get your GlockTalk access.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast