Inability to legally carry on federal property
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inability to legally carry on federal property

1. Cool Inability to legally carry on federal property

K, so we're not allowed to carry on federal property like USPS, military installation, VA hospital & a plethora of other government buildings.

Ridiculous!

I wish to hell some legislation would go up to change that.

IF a place has armed security, then I'm more "ok" with not being armed. But some of the restricted government buildings do not, like the US Post Offices, or if they do, they stay hidden.

IMO, all it does is create a "gun free zone" where the real dangerous people have easier targets if they decide to strike.

I know there has been some legislation recently about active duty military being more easily able to carry concealed, but that doesn't make much sense to me either. If I'm active duty, I should be allowed, no required, to be armed at all times, open or concealed. I mean is the 'sign up' check to enter service not stringent enough, or weapons training not adequate? Seriously, to me an unarmed soldier is a civilian being forced to play "dress up."

Am guessing active duty personnel are hesitant to raise a stink about this because it could upset those in command.

Just a thought.....

Things are starting to change on military installations. It is starting to be left up to the base commanders whether or not carrying on those bases are allowed.
    Why are you worried about holding up the targets for me? It' s a 9mm!

Of course, installation commanders are usually pretty high ranking generals. By that time, most have become indoctrinated into the political correctness of today's military. None of them want to have their next promotion damaged by an incident involving a death from a negligent discharge, etc., so it's unlikely that many will allow troops to carry on post.

Quote Originally Posted by RossA View Post
    Of course, installation commanders are usually pretty high ranking generals.
    Incorrect. Most installation commanders are O-6, Captains in the Navy and Colonels in all other branches.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Maybe in small installations, but go to any major post and it will be a much higher ranking officer.

7. Quote Originally Posted by RossA View Post
    Maybe in small installations, but go to any major post and it will be a much higher ranking officer.
    Almost all the installations I've been at had O-6 (AF Colonels) commanders. Wright-Patt is rank heavy and is the only base I've even seen a general.

The deployed wing I was attached to during Desert Storm was under the command of an O-6 as well.

You say "Post," so are you talking Army? Just curious.

But about them and their decisions on the topic, I'd estimate them to be very hesitant. Base/post commanders I'd think are usually close to retirement and possibly looking at political options, therefore less willing to risk having negative incidents linked to their command.

What do you think on that!

USAF(Ret)

Yes, "post" is an Army term. We don't have bases, we have posts.
    Anywhere you have a division stationed you have a two star and a couple of one stars.

Personally, I find the US Army Corp of Engineers regulations to be bothersome. I can hunt on Corps of Engineers land, but once hunting season is over I'm prohibited from possessing any firearm, bow and arrow, BB gun, etc. So for 5 months it's ok, then the next 7 it's not. That doesn't make any sense.

I'm very rarely near any other federal property.

10. On Army Bases, the Installation Commander is usually an 0-6 even if there are General Officers on the base. Some bases are starting to allow ONLY those that actually live on the base carry. No civilians are allowed unless they are employed in base security.
    Proud Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiricy

11. Commanding Officers of aircraft carriers are also O-6 and most commanding officers of submarines, including ballistic missile submarines carrying nuclear ICBMs are O-5. There may be Generals and Admirals on bases and posts who are in charge of larger HQ commands - but the vast majority of the commanders of the installation itself will be an O-6.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast