National concealed carry reciprocity act of 2017 - Page 10
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: National concealed carry reciprocity act of 2017

1. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Probably a year or longer ago I wrote a response to "my" Congress-critter who had mailed something to me about how she supported national reciprocity. At the time there were at least three bills up for consideration (in the House at least, I think there were others in the Senate too). She was seeking opinions about which one her constituents favored, assuming of course, that they would favor the idea in the first place, which is probably true, but which is like steak to a hungry dog when a Congress-critter takes me for granted in any way, so I answered her (via email) similarly to the way(s) I answered SR9 over the years. She was smarter than SR9. She never answered my answer. Well, never until now, as she apparently used my email address to rub my face in HR38 being passed by the House today. It's the only time she's written me since having my addy. Anyway, here it is in its entirety. HR38 is on its way to the Senate as of today:

Friends,

I am excited to share a huge win for Second Amendment rights. Yesterday, the House passed H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which will expand the ability of law-abiding Americans to carry concealed weapons across state lines. The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act will require states to honor permits issued in other states, regardless of differing permit standards. This common sense bill will ensure that your constitutional right to bear arms is not dependent on where you travel.

It is important to note that this bill does not change one's ability to legally purchase or possess a firearm. Only those able to legally obtain a firearm in their own state would be able to also conceal carry their firearm in others.

I am proud to be a co-sponsor of what the NRA says is its highest legislative priority in Congress. I look forward to this important bill being taken up by the Senate, and hopefully being sent to the President's desk for his signature.

It is an honor to serve you in Congress. Please never hesitate to let me know if there is a way my office can be of assistance. My staff and I work for you.

Sincerely,

Martha Roby
    Member of Congress

Chances are your Republican House-rats are trying to earn your support and respect with similar email blasts. If not though, now you know that they passed it. I'm mildly interested to know what Roy Moore's position might be on it if/when he gets to the Senate, but I seriously doubt he's going to take an anti-Commerce Clause stand against it. Maybe he will though. He's taken harder-to-justify stands on other issues. He is a consummate constitutional scholar, so I doubt the conflict between Commerce and 2A will pass him by unnoticed. It will be interesting though, but there ya go. Didn't see anywhere else that passage in the House has happened had been announced.

Blues
    I'm definitely not so into politics that I would know one way or the other but I have no idea who in Congress might be an ACTUAL proponent of ACTUAL 2A freedoms. I know that most of the GOP and those in gun friendly blue states (Vermont/Sanders) are faux 2A activists but I've got no idea who's who in the zoo on contrived support or a real McCoy.

None?

The Place to Be

3. My understanding is that the Dems have added a bunch of garbage to the bill. If it passes with all the stuff they've added it won't be what we want.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by kramden View Post
    My understanding is that the Dems have added a bunch of garbage to the bill. If it passes with all the stuff they've added it won't be what we want.
    Not positive, but I think you're confusing HR38 with HR4477, which was written about here a few posts back in this thread. HR38 passed the House yesterday. HR4477 is dead on the vine I would imagine until the Senate takes action on HR38.

That said, no well-informed, true Second Amendment supporter would think either bill is "what we want." Both bills are steeped in Commerce Clause regulatory authorities of government, not in Second Amendment rights of The People. Don't be fooled by the shiny bauble called "national reciprocity." It might as well be called "Trojan Horse," because that's what it is.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

5. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Not positive, but I think you're confusing HR38 with HR4477, which was written about here a few posts back in this thread. HR38 passed the House yesterday. HR4477 is dead on the vine I would imagine until the Senate takes action on HR38.

That said, no well-informed, true Second Amendment supporter would think either bill is "what we want." Both bills are steeped in Commerce Clause regulatory authorities of government, not in Second Amendment rights of The People. Don't be fooled by the shiny bauble called "national reciprocity." It might as well be called "Trojan Horse," because that's what it is.

Blues
    The other bill was to to "strengthen" and/or "improve" the NICS system. They of course don't illustrate to the public where the shortfalls (allegedly) exist, why they exist, and what methods will be going in place to "strengthen" the current system. I don't think it's dead just yet.

National Reciprocity is a pipe dream. Blue state AG's are already coming up with "resist" plans and unfortunately Red state AG's are stupidly endorsing it. It's going to be a real crap show on the order of sanctuary cities. Could be a turning point for 2A advocates if the cards are played right or it could be the ultimate Trojan Horse that Blues is referring to.

I know one lurker that will be over the moon and is probably planning a trip somewhere right now. He's a dink but I hope he's not amongst the swarm of "example" arrests that the Blue states will likely respond with. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The Place to Be

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by niceshootintex View Post
    I know one lurker that will be over the moon and is probably planning a trip somewhere right now. He's a dink but I hope he's not amongst the swarm of "example" arrests that the Blue states will likely respond with. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    Yeah, I wouldn't wish arrest on anyone either, but I still LOL'ed at the way you put it.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

7. Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't wish arrest on anyone either, but I still LOL'ed at the way you put it.
    I'm assuming SR9 is just your average Joe citizen and I wouldn't wish government retribution on him. It's hard to see the forest for the trees when you live in a place like Delaware as a gun owner. I hope he takes a trip around the 48 lower and carries his EDC as is his right.

The Place to Be

Living within 15 minutes of three different states, it works for me.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Living within 15 minutes of three different states, it works for me.
    Do you really think that CA is going to just roll-over and accept this? They and a few other states are going to fight it in the courts for years.

Also the right to carry will then be under the control of the Federal Government and not states, and when the revulsion for Trump puts an anti-gun democrat in power every gun owners rights are in jeopardy, and it will only take a presidential proclamation.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

10. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Do you really think that CA is going to just roll-over and accept this? They and a few other states are going to fight it in the courts for years.

Also the right to carry will then be under the control of the Federal Government and not states, and when the revulsion for Trump puts an anti-gun democrat in power every gun owners rights are in jeopardy, and it will only take a presidential proclamation.
    +1. Couldn't have said it any better.

The Place to Be

~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast