Storage in car trunk - whose car?

Thread: Storage in car trunk - whose car?

Storage in car trunk - whose car?

I haven't seen this addressed anywhere. I have a license to carry concealed, and it's legal for me to store my handgun in the trunk of my car, unloaded, in a locked container, away from ammunition. What if I am in a friend's car? Is it still legal since my friend is never going to be in the car with the weapon without me? If it's found in his car (say if the car were broken into), would he be in violation of the law since he does not have a firearms license?

3. If you can legally carry a concealed handgun, why would it be in your friend's trunk? State laws differ, but I suppose if you and your buddy are going into a posted building in a state that considers it a criminal offense to do so, that might be a reason to disarm. Still, an unloaded firearm in a closed container in the trunk is usually legal everywhere, unless you pal is a convicted felon or otherwise not supposed to have access to a gun. If his car is broken into and your gun is stolen, your gun is still your responsibility.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Your mileage will very from state to state and before anyone can answer your question you need to specify which state you live in.

Based on your "firearms license" comment, I'm going to guess some ultra liberal anti-gun state like NY.

In my state anyone that is not a convicted felon can have firearms in the trunk of their car...... no license or permit required.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

This is in Massachusetts. The only reason it would be in my friend's trunk is that I'll be borrowing his car while mine is in the shop, and it would only be in the trunk when I'm going in somewhere that "frowns" on me carrying (doctor's office, etc.) even though legally I have the permit to do so. My friend has a clean record, so no reason he couldn't get a permit, he just doesn't have one. I just don't want to get him into trouble.

How about you try to understand the basics of firearms laws and then understand your own state's firearms laws? Both can be done by reading the actual laws. Learn the difference between possession of an unloaded firearm and carrying a loaded firearm. Learn what your state requires for each of these activities. Learn what constructive possession means.

Since I stayed in a Holiday Inn recently and claim to be THE Internet gun law expert, let me give you this advice. As long as you are the only one using the car, have the keys to the car, locked it, and your friend doesn't have a secondary key, you are fine. The car is under your full control, i.e., in your full possession, so is the firearm locked in the car. However, I could just be a lunatic that loves giving people made up advice on the Internet in the hope that they will land in jail. You decide!

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    How about you try to understand the basics of firearms laws and then understand your own state's firearms laws? Both can be done by reading the actual laws. Learn the difference between possession of an unloaded firearm and carrying a loaded firearm. Learn what your state requires for each of these activities. Learn what constructive possession means.

Since I stayed in a Holiday Inn recently and claim to be THE Internet gun law expert, let me give you this advice. As long as you are the only one using the car, have the keys to the car, locked it, and your friend doesn't have a secondary key, you are fine. The car is under your full control, i.e., in your full possession, so is the firearm locked in the car. However, I could just be a lunatic that loves giving people made up advice on the Internet in the hope that they will land in jail. You decide!
    I thought it was the Holiday Inn Express hotels that conferred expertise!

Look up constructive possession. If your friend still retains a key to his own car, he has constructive possession of whatever you store in it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. This is an odd question for a CCW permit holder to be asking. Before you for that permit, before you walked out of the house with that weapon, you better have learned the laws in your state.
    This whole discussion is silly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MyOtherKahr View Post
    This is an odd question for a CCW permit holder to be asking. Before you for that permit, before you walked out of the house with that weapon, you better have learned the laws in your state.
    This whole discussion is silly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Except if you happen to be in MA, NY and a few other states where they have some really messed up laws.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg