Spoke to a Judge... What is he talking about? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoke to a Judge... What is he talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    There is an urban legend that a jury will convict a self-defense shooter based upon the "lethality" of the ammo used and whether or not that ammo was handloaded. It's total B.S. and there is not one case history that anyone has found where the type of ammo has been considered, as long as there is no specific prohibition to the type of ammo used, such as armor piercing, or in NJ - hollowpoints.
    Harold Fish of Arizona and the jury that convicted him would most probably disagree with you about the caliber of the ammunition used. Sad!

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Harold Fish of Arizona and the jury that convicted him would most probably disagree with you about the caliber of the ammunition used. Sad!
    Thank you. I could remember the caliber, but his name was hiding from me. He used a big, mean, man-killing 10mm.

Personal Opinon - Not Reality

Classic case of someone using his position to propel an Agenda. This is personal opinion on his part - and shows clear ignorance of both the statutory and case law. Clearly an anti who is satisfied with personal ignorance.

5. Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MIKE View Post
    Classic case of someone using his position to propel an Agenda. This is personal opinion on his part - and shows clear ignorance of both the statutory and case law. Clearly an anti who is satisfied with personal ignorance.
    In PA, Teflon coated bullets are a no no. for criminal use....but I dont think Id be the test case for concealed carry

18 Pa. C.S. §6121. Certain Bullets Prohibited.

(a) Offense defined. - It is unlawful for any person to possess, use or attempt to use a KTW teflon-coated bullet or other armor-piercing ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence as defined in section 6102 (relating to defini*tions).

(b) Grading. - An offense under this section constitutes a felony of the third degree.

(c) Sentencing. - Any person who is convicted in any court of this Commonwealth of a crime of violence and who uses or carries, in the commission of that crime, a firearm loaded with KTW ammunition or any person who violates this section shall, in addition to the punishment provided for the commission of the crime, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment for not less than five years. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the court shall not suspend the sentence of any person convicted of a crime subject to this subsection nor place him on probation nor shall the term of imprisonment run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment including that imposed for the crime in which the KTW ammunition was being used or carried. No person sentenced under this subsection shall be eligible for parole.

(d) Definition. - As used in this section the term “armor-pierc*ing ammunition” means ammunition which, when or if fired from any firearm as defined in section 6102 that is used or attempted to be used in violation of subsection (a) under the test procedure of the National Institute of Law Enforcement and Criminal Jus*tice Standard for the Ballistics Resistance of Police Body Armor promulgated December 1978, is determined to be capable of penetrating bullet-resistant apparel or body armor meeting the requirements of Type hA of Standard NILECJ-STD-0101.01 as formulated by the United States Department of Justice and published in December of 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Wasn't that the guy who tried to hide from what happened? It seems to me that he made a whole bunch of stupid mistakes and the caliber of the gun had little to nothing to do with the conviction.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Wasn't that the guy who tried to hide from what happened? It seems to me that he made a whole bunch of stupid mistakes and the caliber of the gun had little to nothing to do with the conviction.
    OMG, no, Mr. Fish did everything he could to cooperate with the authorities according to every one of the web sites I read. One juror even stated that her decision to convict was based on the caliber. Google "Harold Fish 10" and links abound.

wolfhunter Guest
    The two most prominent points in Mr. Fish's case were a question of which law applied, and the fact that he used such a large caliber. Since AZ had passed a new law, there has been discussion as to whether the new law applied, or the older one.

9. I think that in general, we can all agree that type of ammunition matters very little as long as that ammo is legal in your neck of the woods. Yes, there's a few odd ball cases running around but for the most part I can't see any issues arising from the ammo you use. I know here in CT they wouldn't dare hit you for that.
    "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six"
    -Sgt. Jeremy Clark WHPD

Thanks everyone for all the replies. The ammo I use is legal and legally purchased locally. So from what I understand, Teflon coated are out but most others are fair game and there is no restriction on the quantity of rounds.

Jordie

You must have talked to that judge after he was at Happy Hour
    JB
    "Active Member Of My Neighborhood Watch Pistol Team"
    Montana Gun Owners

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast