Alcoohol consumption and KY ccw
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcoohol consumption and KY ccw

Alcoohol consumption and KY ccw

I have several friends who regularly carry after having a few beers. They have told me it's not a big deal as long as you're opnly having a few and not getting "wasted". I definitely wouldn't feel safe around someone who was carrying drunk and I don't drink period so it's null for me. But what I think they also need to be concerned about is the legality of doing that in public. I can find the rules for other states but can anyone tell me or better yet point me in the right direction as to where I can find KY law pertaining to this. I've looked everywhere and it never says specifically just that you can't carry in bars. It makes me wonder if there even is a limit for drinking and carryng. Is it 0.08 just like drinking and driving or would consuming any alcohol be considered illegal? Thanks for your alls feedback. Donny
    Last edited by speergold40; 01-27-2009 at 10:10 PM.

wolfhunter Guest
    Alcohol and guns don't mix. I'd find some smarter friends, if I were you.

4. In Tennessee, there's no max blood alcohol level. No drinking whatsoever is allowed while carrying. I'd also add that if there was shooting and you managed to get off criminally, ANY alcohol detected would probably guarantee a loss in the civil trial. I can see how a plaintiffs attorney would spin that.

I believe in Minnesota the limit is .04 for carrying, but my instructor suggested abstaining. It hasn't been hard for me as a firearm safety instructor I swear off alcohol when guns are being handled. I think it's best to not imbibe while carrying.

Something else to think about: In the event of a shooting, it would be harder to defend yourself in court if the record showed you had been consuming whether you were over the limit or not.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by speergold40 View Post
    I have several friends who regularly carry after having a few beers. They have told me it's not a big deal as long as you're opnly having a few and not getting "wasted". I definitely wouldn't feel safe around someone who was carrying drunk and I don't drink period so it's null for me. But what I think they also need to be concerned about is the legality of doing that in public. I can find the rules for other states but can anyone tell me or better yet point me in the right direction as to where I can find KY law pertaining to this. I've looked everywhere and it never says specifically just that you can't carry in bars. It makes me wonder if there even is a limit for drinking and carryng. Is it 0.08 just like drinking and driving or would consuming any alcohol be considered illegal? Thanks for your alls feedback. Donny
    guns and alcohol mix like democracy and freedom. get some better friends,(or @ least be careful) their asking for a date with the judge.
    Last edited by krazyk; 01-28-2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Let every soul be subject unto the [U.S. Constitution.] For there is no [Constitution] but of God: the [Constitution] that be [is] ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the [Constitution], resisteth the ordinance of God:American Romans Ch.13v1-7 C.Baldwin

Drinking and carrying do not mix. In Michigan .02 is it. and you can not be in a bar carrying also. Like in my ccw class instuctor said put it in the trunk Don't take it in with you. just asking for trouble.
    "Victory at all cost Victory in spite of all terror. Victory no matter how long and how hard the road may be; for without Victory there is no survival."
    (Winston Churchill)

Guns and alcohol is a very bad cocktail. This is an example of where we, as CCW holders have to rise above others and simply not imbibe if carrying. It's my understanding that if one is caught over the limit and the gun is even in the trunk you're in for a whole bunch of trouble. Gun = absolutely no booze. My .02.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

There's nothing I can find in the KRS. The abstract yardstick is typically the same as DUI in your State if there's no statute specifically addressing possession or carrying a firearm under the influence.

One thing I do not understand is people who have an absolute prohibition attitude about firearms and alcohol who put their CCW in their car have one or two then drive home. If you believe in prohibition with respect to CCW then you should also believe in prohibition with respect to driving. If you don't then you're a hypocrite.

I am also of the frame of thought that if you are responsible and know your limitations then you'll be fine. Realistically you are more likely to get involved in an auto accident after having one or two with a meal and have that bite you than getting involved in a self defense incident.

Know the BAC limit for the State you're in and your physical limitations.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by speergold40 View Post
    I wouldn't even sniff booze whle carrying. Now, I don't have a problem with carrying if I have to go into the liquor store to get beer, wine, etc to bring home with me. Once home, put the gun away and have a cold one. Boze and guns don't mix.

Do NOT be under the influence of drugs or alchohol while carrying in AL or your permit is void. I personally think this is a good law. As others have stated, guns & booze = bad news! You might as well douse yourself in gasoline and strike a match!
    Last edited by Glockster20; 01-28-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast