Concealed Carry While Walking Dogs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry While Walking Dogs

Concealed Carry While Walking Dogs

For those of you that have dogs, I'm curious if you try to always have one hand free to draw while you are walking them. I never thought about this much until I got a second dog. Until recently when I got the retractable leaches, both hands were always full. At least with the retractable I can put them both in one hand and leave my strong side free.

Well I'm watching my friend's two dogs for a few days which makes 4 over here right now. Talk about a zoo! Anyway, I think I'm just going to walk two at a time instead of all four this way I can still have a hand free.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

this is the very reason I am training to shoot one handed.I don't own a dog but if I'm carrying something and have to draw and shoot one handed it's nice to know I've practiced for it.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    this is the very reason I am training to shoot one handed.I don't own a dog but if I'm carrying something and have to draw and shoot one handed it's nice to know I've practiced for it.
    Yea, I normally fire one handed and weak handed when I go to the range. We also had some training exercises at Front Sight in the classes I've taken.

Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

5. I suppose I'd just drop the leash if I had to draw and didn't have a free hand. One bonus might be that just about all people are afraid of a barking dog, unless it's one of those designer pocket dogs. That might buy you a few seconds and the BG processes that. could give you an advantage. We have a 180lb Saint Bernard who is a big teddy bear, but when he sees a stranger approaching, he barks and puts on a big act. A BG would probably think twice after seeing 180lbs of snarling mean-ness coming at him. He has actually chased off intruders trying to break into the cars and garage on two occasions.

Dropping the leash would probably be my last resort. I wouldn't want one of them getting hurt either. One is a little beagle that wouldn't do anything. The other is half lab and pitt. She can sounds a little scary when she barks, not sure what she would do if something happened to me like that though, don't really want to find out. Its good having her when I was too because she's like an alarm. She'll hear stuff and look before I know its there.

7. Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    Dropping the leash would probably be my last resort. I wouldn't want one of them getting hurt either. One is a little beagle that wouldn't do anything. The other is half lab and pitt. She can sounds a little scary when she barks, not sure what she would do if something happened to me like that though, don't really want to find out. Its good having her when I was too because she's like an alarm. She'll hear stuff and look before I know its there.
    With our Saint dropping the leash is almost the only option. It would be impossible to keep him under control and maintain any control of a firearm. When he goes after something, it takes both hands to hold him back. If something like that ever happened, all I could hope for is that I can get a shot off before the BG can take a shot at my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by rrc1962 View Post
    With our Saint dropping the leash is almost the only option. It would be impossible to keep him under control and maintain any control of a firearm. When he goes after something, it takes both hands to hold him back. If something like that ever happened, all I could hope for is that I can get a shot off before the BG can take a shot at my dog.
    188 lbs is more than both of mine put together! I think Nola (lab/pitt) is about 45lbs.

Drop the leash and use both hands. My dog's smart enough (gun shy, that is) to run at the sound of trouble. You can chase your dog down, but you can't reclaim your life.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

My name is Leroy, and I'm 35 lbs. of 1/2 Pug & 1/2 Beagle, but 100% pure wuss. I'd turn my curly tail under and run as far away as possible.

Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Cute dog. I'll see if I can snatch a pic of all 4 of them while I've got them. They are running the house at the moment. But they are all having fun.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast