Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun - Page 20
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 217

Thread: Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun

  1. #191
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    1
    1911's are indeed a pretty gun. If I hadn't started out my "gun career" with handguns without thumb safety's and would therefore be well practiced in placing safety to "fire" during the draw stroke, I'd love the idea of a pretty gun for SD...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

  2.   
  3. #192
    Colt 1911 Wiley Clapp Light Weight Commander.

  4. #193
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
    =================================

    Until I read your post I hadn't considered carrying my 1911 for SD.
    I have been carrying a .380 Grendel P-12 because it fits into a front pocket in blue jeans or into a small sidepack. I got increasingly uneasy about it after having several jams at the last re-qual.

    My LLama 1911 is not an expensive gun and has jammed at times. It usually doesn't take but a second or two to clear and fire but that's a long time in an SD situation. I now carry a Rossi 5 shot .38 Spl just to be worry free about having 5 guaranteed rounds.

    Now thinking about the first shot is guaranteed to go off and hopefully it will fire a couple more before jamming and that in most SD situations a person is close enough that the first round is going to hit. Now carrying a 1911 .45 makes sense just for the knockdown capability.

    Problem here in Central Texas in the summer heat it's difficult to conceal a 1911. How do you all here carry a 1911 concealed if it's not under a jacket?

    What rounds do you load when using it for SD? Should a person always fire ball ammo or is it OK to fire some other type rounds in a gun that has jammed occasionally?

    What about the .380? Has it got enough punch to be useful in SD situations? What rounds are best in the .380?

    Last, is carrying a .38 SPL revolver with only 5 hollow point rounds enough?


    Bob
    Central Texas
    My first choice in SD 45 ammo are Speer Gold Dot 230gr. Hornady TAP-CQ 230gr +P also works but, you'll want a heavier recoil spring in a 1911 than standard 16lbs. I haven't gathered enough Horandy Critical
    defense 185gr +P for my range testing. make sure you thoroughly test any ammo with your 1911. Some are very picky. All of my FTF were due to cheap/low quality magazines. For a 1911 intended for SD/CC use I can't stress enough the importance of high quality magazines. Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, and Ed Brown are some good choices. as much as I love my Kimbers their magazines go in with the "Range Only" cheap gun show magazines. At the range I want FTF and FTE. I mix in empty brass and/or snap caps to force both. While I don't ever want FTF or FTE during a SD/CC situation. If it does I want muscle memory to handle it. Practice, practice, and practice some more.


    As to Summer carry Start with a good strong 2 ply leather gun belt or reinforced nylon belt. For the moment I have a Blackhawk Instructors belt. I intend to switch to leather later this year. For a holster I use Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB Kydex/Leather hybrid holster. I prefer 3-330 o'clock position with a forward chant to tuck the grip into my side. Some prefer more of a 4 to 5 o'clock. Every is a little bit different so you will have to find what works for you. I also use suspenders. IWB holsters I use Perry Suspenders(Y shaped) that hook under gun belt. I where them under my loose fitting tee shirt (Carhartt or Duluth Trading company... thicker fabric reduces printing). In winter I wear a 2nd smaller tee shirt under suspenders tucked in on non carry sides. For OWB holsters I use Spec-Ops Brand Tactical Suspenders (8 shaped) that clip around gun belt at sides. 1911 grips tend to "print" more so I am looking at getting one or more with a Bobtail.

    Can't speak directly to .380 as I don't have one. Modern JHP ammo has a huge advantage over older ball ammo.

    I have a Ruger LCR in .38 special. Yes, 5 modern JHP should handle most likely SD/CC encounters. I intend the LCR as a BUG. Still looking at IWB crossdraw holsters for it.

    I hope this helps and stay safe.

  5. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleSwine View Post
    My first choice in SD 45 ammo are Speer Gold Dot 230gr. Hornady TAP-CQ 230gr +P also works but, you'll want a heavier recoil spring in a 1911 than standard 16lbs. I haven't gathered enough Horandy Critical
    defense 185gr +P for my range testing.
    I hope this helps and stay safe.


    Thank you very much for taking the time to address my questions. I will be ordering some new and higher quality magazines for the 1911 soon as well as some better Ammo for CC.

    Bob

    __ The last person an honest citizen need fear is another honest citizen carrying a legally concealed handgun.

  6. #195
    I do believe the first issue would be hitting the target whatever that may be. Practice with your carry weapon, then practice with your carry weapon with your decided upon ammo with your carry holster whatever it may be. A decision must be made as to why you carry. If it is for self-defense, you must research the issue of hydrostatic shock, penetration and all issues. What I really would be concerned with is the reliability of the piece you have. The best ammo, target acquisition and the like are of no use if your weapon malfunctions. Nothing worse than a person becoming a corpse laid out with a useless “Gun” in his cold, dead hand. So, is your weapon reliable, are you able to hit your target and what is the characteristic of your ammo? Oh, a magazine with fifteen rounds and a backup of thirty more is of no use if the piece malfunctions, so I would say five in a .38 are better than seven in a useless magazine. I carry, depending on the season, conditions, time and place, one of the three Kimbers. Some like Fords, Chevy and Mercedes.

  7. #196
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,625
    Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    1911's are indeed a pretty gun. If I hadn't started out my "gun career" with handguns without thumb safety's and would therefore be well practiced in placing safety to "fire" during the draw stroke, I'd love the idea of a pretty gun for SD...
    Blued is nice, Stainless is pretty, both is sweet, camo is hard to find if you lose it outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun-201201180603.jpg 
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

  8. #197
    If you still have time, order the horsehide option. It is quiter, breaks in faster, and doesn't absorb sweat as much.

  9. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTwoShure View Post
    I do believe the first issue would be hitting the target whatever that may be. Practice with your carry weapon, then practice with your carry weapon with your decided upon ammo with your carry holster whatever it may be. A decision must be made as to why you carry. If it is for self-defense, you must research the issue of hydrostatic shock, penetration and all issues. What I really would be concerned with is the reliability of the piece you have. The best ammo, target acquisition and the like are of no use if your weapon malfunctions. Nothing worse than a person becoming a corpse laid out with a useless “Gun” in his cold, dead hand. So, is your weapon reliable, are you able to hit your target and what is the characteristic of your ammo? Oh, a magazine with fifteen rounds and a backup of thirty more is of no use if the piece malfunctions, so I would say five in a .38 are better than seven in a useless magazine. I carry, depending on the season, conditions, time and place, one of the three Kimbers. Some like Fords, Chevy and Mercedes.
    ====================


    Very good and valid points. My Llama 1911 is not a reliable weapon so in taking the advice written previously I will see if high quality magazines and quality ammo changes that. My Grendel P-12 is also unreliable. It jammed once during my last shoot and that's once too many. I spent 25 years in the US Army and my assigned weapon was the .38 SPCL and as far as hitting the target I had no problem. During Desert Storm a truck load of .45's became available because the MP's had changed over to 9mm. After going through several POS .45's I went back to the arms room and got my revolver back. It made no difference really. A .38 and 12 rounds in an unarmed scout helicopter in the middle of the desert. My observer velcro'd his M-16 on top of the instrument panel but he only had 2 mags for that weapon.

    Until I get a semi-auto I trust I carry the 5 shot .38 SPCL guaranteed 5 shots. And thank you for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it.

    Bob

    __ The last person an honest citizen need fear is another honest citizen carrying a legally concealed handgun.

  10. sig

    I carry a Sig sauer tactical 1911 with a 5" barrel. I carry this religiously everytime I leave the front door.

  11. i carry a full size 1911 daily...either a Taurus PT1911, or a Springfield M1911A1 in stainless steel; the Springer is my girlfriend's.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast