Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun - Page 3
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Carries A 1911 As Your Self Defense Gun

I occasionally carry my Taurus PT1911 in a Bob Mernickle OWB holster in the winter.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Military and LE 1911

I carry a SIG GSR 1911 in a Crossbreed Snap Slide. It's insanely comfortable, and I've gotten to where I only take it off when I'm getting ready for bed or shower etc.

On the range I wear the same SIG 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, which is also nice - but sticks out from my hip too far to effectively conceal for daily carry purposes in that rig. (Great open carry rig though.)

To answer your initial LE/Military 1911 question - I don't know of any Army units that still use the 1911 variations as an issued sidearm since the mid 1980's. (I carried a 1911A1 as an M60 gunner back from 1984-86 in the 82nd... then the Army went to M9's.) Since then, certain units may permit the GI to haul their own sidearm - and certain SOCOM elements choose the HK USP version of a .45 ACP... but I don't know of any "regular line units" hauling the 1911 issued anymore.

Las Vegas Metro Police have a list of 'approved duty weapons' officers choose from - and not a standard issue sidearm like many agencies. On that list of approved sidearms is the .45 ACP 1911 - as of a few months ago anyway. If it's changed since then, that'll be news to me. Other agencies that permit the officer a choice in duty sidearm sometimes still include the 1911.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Kimber Ultra Carry II; just got it about six months ago to carry during cooler weather here in Central Texas. During the summer, when all I usually wear is a t-shirt and cargo shorts, I pocket carry a Kahr PM-9.

colt 1911 government series 80 2 8 rounders spare mags

Colt Defender in a Mitch Rosen IWB. You might do well to just get a damn Glock. The more I use mine the more I like it.

My everday carry is Taurus 1911. It's a little tougher to conceal...I have adapted a shoulder harness by cutting off the waist belt connector strap on the weapon side. This works well...I just slip my arms through and the Taurus "hangs" freely; easily concealed by a jacket, of course. When I get to work, I take off my jacket, slip the shoulder holster off, put gun in desk drawer. I have recently used a Yaqui slide holster which attaches to your belt. I really liked it because when the gun was removed, most folks wouldn't even recognize the holster (almost looks like a cell-phone holder, at glance). However, the slide didn't last long as the adjusting screws came loose, and I lost one. In a pinch, I slip a S&W snub-nosed .38 spl in my pocket. Not a bad carry piece, either.

8. Always... best combat handgun made!

ALWAYS carry! ~ NEVER tell!

Hi I'm new to this forum but would like to weigh in on the "who carry's what question".
    My daily carry is a Kimber Ultra Carry II with night sights. I carry a S&W 642 38 special in my pocket as an alternate carry. Sometimes I rotate in a Kahr PW 40 in the pocket as well when circumstances won't permit the aforementioned.
    Glad to be a part of this forum.
    Best regards to all.
    Keep your butt down and your powder dry!

I've carried a Kimber Pro carry II stainless with night sights and Crimson Trace laser grips, for about 4 years now. I feel undressed without it.

I trade off between my taurus P140 Millenium 40 S&W and My Colt Defender 1911 45.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast