New Member Howdy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member Howdy

Smile New Member Howdy

Hello everyone... I'm new to USA Carry, and also soon to be a CCW permit holder in Norfolk, Virginia. (I completely my application just recently) I've been reading just as much as my brain can absorb online in figuring out what gun to buy, which holster style and/or brand to purchase, and more than anything, how to be a safe and effective CW carrier.

My reasons for deciding to carry stem mostly from my job, and the floundering economy. I manage low income rental property in Norfolk, so at least 2-3 x per week I spend a portion of my day checking on my various properties, most of which are located in crime-laden neighborhoods where anyones screams would go completely ignored. On top of that, being that most tenants pay their rent in cash means we're at a very increased risk of robbery in the work place. For awhile now I've kept a S&W K frame .357 on hand in the office, but with more and more desperate people out there, I'd like to be prepared no matter what.

There sure are a million choices out there with what to carry. I think it's important to me that whatever I choose, it's light and comfortable, so I won't think twice about having my gun with me when it's appropriate (anytime I'm somewhere it's legal to do so), but balanced with something with enough power and capacity to get the job done. The simplicity of a lightweight wheelgun has it's appeals, because I'm pretty sure if the SHTF, I really don't want to get hung up with remembering various switches and safeties. That said, with enough training, a thumb safety 1911 style should be second nature eventually. Glock's have a bit of appeal because they are pretty much point and shoot as well, and capacity is greatly increased over some models. Again, it's down to that balance of size vs. capacity vs. caliber.

I did shoot the Glock 26 the other day... it worked really well, although the trigger pull on that first round was more than I expected, which I kind of like actually... it makes sure you're really committed that first round before the fireworks begin. I'm hoping to fire the Springfield XD subcompacts this weekend, as they seem to be equally highly regarded. The Ruger LCP and the Kel-tec P3-AT both appeal for their size...just amazing how tiny they are, and will probably be my choice for hot weather summer carry. Finish on the Kel-tec was horrible in the model I looked at, so I may put myself on a wait for the LCP or hope to find one at a gun show. They both seem to have some small issues reliability wise, so I'll see how that pans out first I think. My final choice to consider is one of the smaller Kimber 1911's, Para-Ord Warthogs, or Springfield compact 1911's. I want to shoot these and see what feels the most comfortable in the end, for carry, as well as accuracy. The Glock pretty much placed the bullets where I aimed, and I'm sure with a slight sight adjustment, would have been spot on, however when I shot my buddies full size Kimber, I had 2" groupings at 15 yards with ease... pretty amazing considering my limited exposure to handguns.

On a side note, I love skeet shooting, and recently bought my first shotgun for the purpose. I chose a Franchi I-12 Upland hunter 12 gauge. It's light, absorbs recoil very well, and so far, has been a joy to shoot. My final project is to convert my New Haven (Mossberg) 600AT (essentially a 500) with a 30" barrel to a home defense weapon with 18"-20" barrel and pistol grips. Hopefully I can get the wife down to the range soon to get some comfort herself with these weapons, as I really want her to be equally safe when we're apart.

Thanks in advance to what each of you offer to this site, I look forward to learning as much as I can on this fascinating and important subject in American Society.

Benjamin

Ben, welcome to the site. Plenty of knowlegeable folks here. You are definately making the right choice by choosing to take responsibility for your own safety. Very good choice!!

Simplicity of a wheel gun and the feel of a double action trigger pull.... sounds like you need a Glock to me! No external safety or fancy levers... chamber a round and it's ready to go. Best bet IMO would be the Glock 19 or 23 and a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Welcome, Ben. Any firearm you decide to carry will become second nature after a little practice. I have a Kel-Tec P32 and the P3AT and are great little pocket guns. You'll find any of the Kel_Tec P3AT copied firearms will work great in the Summer.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I forgot to mention I also have an older Beretta 70S .380. I just found a thread from last year where a guy had his metalife coated and polished, it looked amazing. I'm going to send mine away for this I think, and I'll get some new grips for a nice fresh look. I'm having trouble finding a decent holster online for it though, since it's such an uncommon model for carry these days. I'm sure something will present itself. Galco has a small of back holster for it for $85, but that really isn't where I'm interested in carrying I think. I'd hate the feeling someone could come behind me and grab my gun out before I could react.

Congratulations on your decision to defend yourself, and welcome to the site.
    I agree with Glockster, it sounds to me like you need a Glock. Have you tried the Glock 36? Chambered in .45acp, but still very small and concealable. I deffinetly recommend that you try shooting one. Also, since I prefer buying stuff from small businesses instead of huge multi billion dollar corporations; I would recommend these guys for your new holster.

The Holster Store Home Page

They make a good product at a good price.
    My experience with Galco is...well, long story short, I'm not going through them again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Cooter, I 100% agree with you about supporting smaller business... It was in fact one reason I wasn't considering the Galco. I'm the same way whether it's a holster or a local restaurant. When I travel, I'm always looking for the locals to find out where the good local food is. BOO corporate America!

welcome to the site and you just made many new friends... whichever firearm you choose let us know.. and post pics! again welcome and stay safe!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Welcome to the site and howdy to a fellow Virginian. Like you, I now carry due to the increase in crime, the break in we had just down the road from us, and the gangs that seem to plague our community. I also want to be able to defend my family should the need ever arise, as my husband travels extensively and we are out in a more rural setting.

Hello, and Welcome to USA Carry from the shore of SC..........
    Glock Carrier in SC.

MufDady

Welcome. You either love a glock or you hate a glock, I don't like them although they are reliable guns. An alternative to look at would be the S&W M&P series, full size or compact. Just my opinion to give you an option but whatever you choose has to be something you are comfortable holding. Everyone on here will have different opinions, just try to shoot whatever you are looking at to make sure it is what you like first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast