Out of State CCW permit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of State CCW permit

1. Out of State CCW permit

I am a newbie and have some questions about the CCW. I live in a state that does not have CCW but, i am originally am from PA where I had a CCW until i moved to New Jersey. I recently stumbled onto this page via a friend and see that maybe there's hope to retain a CCW permit. Although I live in New Jersey my heart is still in Pennsylvania and plan to move back when I retire so , being in New Jersey is for work reasons. I plan on reinstating my CCW permit upon my return to PA but, with the new administration I believe I may never get that chance. Now to my point I would like to get an out of State Florida CCW or Utah. Can I get one being from a state that doesn't have CCW. I know I won't be able to carry in NJ but, I do spend a lot of time in PA fishing, hunting etc. I don't want to lose out. Thanks

As far as I know , Florida shouldn't be a problem to obtain your permit from.

Should be no trouble getting one from Utah. Just find an authorized instructor (list on the Utah website).
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

5. Quote Originally Posted by CCW357 View Post
    As far as I know , Florida shouldn't be a problem to obtain your permit from.
    Ok, thanks you and maybejim as well. I know I can and have already identified the NRA instructor coarse. How do you go through the rest of the process. Like fingerprinting etc. When I got my PA CCW I had to get interviewed by a detective. I know each state is different. I think i saw somewhere that you can go to an approved place locally around me and get fingerprinted electronically.

Just to clarify I now live in New Jersey a non CCW state and want to make sure that I'll still be able to get an out of state CCW. ccould you please send me the link for both Utah and Florida. Again Thank you
    Last edited by njsportsman; 02-19-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Here are the links for Florida and Utah.

Keep in mind that hollow point ammunition is illegal in NJ. You'll need to use something such as Federal EFMJ to be legal in NJ.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

NY unfortunately. To be remedied when I retire.
    I live in NY and have a Utah non-res. permit. True I can't carry in my home state, but I can in 30 other ones!:)

8. Quote Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
    I live in NY and have a Utah non-res. permit. True I can't carry in my home state, but I can in 30 other ones!:)
    Were you able to do everything from your home state of New York.
    Last edited by njsportsman; 02-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    Were you able to do everything from your home state of New York.
    You should, you apply via mail. The UT BCI out of State instructor list has about a half dozen instructors in NJ. Get fingerprinted from your local PD and mail it in. If you want to get Florida in addition to Utah, make sure the NJ instructor is also NRA certified and can do a live fire qualification and issues you a training certificate.
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

10. Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    You should, you apply via mail. The UT BCI out of State instructor list has about a half dozen instructors in NJ. Get fingerprinted from your local PD and mail it in. If you want to get Florida in addition to Utah, make sure the NJ instructor is also NRA certified and can do a live fire qualification and issues you a training certificate.
    There's a guy in PA that I am going to yhat's closer I am South Jersey and Philly is closer. The giy is on the Utah BCI but, I can't find the Florida BCI.

As well he told me I should go for a Virginia CCW for some reason i didn't understand. The only difference is you get the permit 30 days instead of 90 from Florida. Is there any advantage other than time.

Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    There's a guy in PA that I am going to yhat's closer I am South Jersey and Philly is closer. The giy is on the Utah BCI but, I can't find the Florida BCI.

As well he told me I should go for a Virginia CCW for some reason i didn't understand. The only difference is you get the permit 30 days instead of 90 from Florida. Is there any advantage other than time.
    You're better off with Florida as Florida has more States than Utah. Virginia issues quickly because their non-resident is not in high demand.

Here's the Florida Division of Licensing CCW page again. If you travel to Florida you must have a Florida license or a resident of the State that's on their reciprocity page so for you to CCW in Florida you would have to get a Florida license.

Florida has one of the longer license terms now at seven years instead of five.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast