How do you handle it?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle it??

I had to laugh reading your post Howard, somehow picturing in my mind the thought in someones mind as they are approaching the car and I am trying to get my weapon out of a smart-carry in the drivers seat.

That alone may make them decide to go away!

A shoulder holster allows for a fairly good draw when seated in a vehicle. Also an ankle holster could be another option.

I have yet to try it, but this might also be a great option, the Kingsford Carseat Holster from Desantis
    Commerce Storefront B2C

A lot of different, good advice here and I at one time or another I have done a number of them. One thing that is not an option for me is the not wearing a seat belt and not just for fear of a ticket. I worked years ago for several years in a major trauma center and have seen first hand what can happen to someone who is involved in a wreck and not wearing a seat belt.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

If you're a betting man who knows how to play the odds then you would wear your seatbelt in case of an accident instead of not wearing it in case of road rage. It's not that difficult to make one motion of unfastening the seatbelt as you draw. Now, if you want to be completely anal then don't wear your seatbelt and drive with one hand while you hold your firearm in the other.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Now, if you want to be completely anal then don't wear your seatbelt and drive with one hand while you hold your firearm in the other.
    Yeah, but that makes shifting gears realy difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    If you're a betting man who knows how to play the odds then you would wear your seatbelt in case of an accident instead of not wearing it in case of road rage. It's not that difficult to make one motion of unfastening the seatbelt as you draw. Now, if you want to be completely anal then don't wear your seatbelt and drive with one hand while you hold your firearm in the other.
    +1. Situational awareness is also key. If "things" are "developing" around you or your internal alarm is sounding, unclick the dang seatbelt.

8. Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    How do you deal with the seat belt over your coat and gun and blocking your draw issue?
    I keep another gun in the center console in a holster I mounted inside it on the driver's side. Spare speed loaders (4 of them, 2 loaded with self defense ammo, 1 with snake shot and a 4th with lead flat point reloads) sit in the shelf on the passenger side.

With the gun butt forward, I can either Twist draw it right handed or reach across left handed.

I've never had a problem positioning my holster so that it is accessible while wearing a seatbelt. This is true for both my Kholster and my Serpa, and in any vehicle. I may need to slide it forward a little bit so that the butt of the gun isn't pressing hard into the seat back. Beyond that, the buckle and belt typically ride right under and forward of the gun.

As for cover garments being trapped by the seatbelt, I just make sure that doesn't happen. I usually pull my shirt or coat up and behind the grip so that the gun is visible before I buckle up. Even though the gun is exposed, it is very difficult to see, even for someone standing right outside the passengers window. If I do leave it covered, I still make sure that the cover garment and seatbelt aren't preventing access to the gun.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I use a DM Bullard crossdraw for my J frame S&W (actually, I always have it in the crossdraw because I don't want to have remember which side it is on if needed). No problems with the crossdraw s far as access, no seatbelt issues, no worrying about leaving a gun in a car, somebody accessing it, or having it flying around loose in the vehicle if an event should occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Couzin View Post
    I use a DM Bullard crossdraw for my J frame S&W (actually, I always have it in the crossdraw because I don't want to have remember which side it is on if needed). No problems with the crossdraw s far as access, no seatbelt issues, no worrying about leaving a gun in a car, somebody accessing it, or having it flying around loose in the vehicle if an event should occur.
    another advantage to the cross draw is you can pull out your weapon fairly easy both with your strong hand as well your off hand. Not so from a holster on you strong side.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast