summer time carry - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: summer time carry

Quote Originally Posted by Cari A. View Post
    Can some of you direct me to what a few smaller weapons look like? Are there web sites or links you can direct me to? I am curious as to what they are, as I may approach the husband about buying a smaller weapon for me when summer comes.
    Cari A.... You have picked a magnificent firearm for self preservation in the Glock 19!! Let me turn you onto a neat little store that I frequently shop. It is called Glockstore.com and they have all kinds of accessories including concealment holsters and clothing etc... Look under the concealment holsters category and also check under the concealment clothing;

GlockStore.com - Glock Parts & Accessories, Glock Magazines & Apparel

3. Living in a state with very similar laws to Virginia (Washington) - I just don't worry about it. If it shows, it shows. With my CPL, if it doesn't show, than it doesn't show. I've been asked once by a Wal Mart manager to cover my firearm, so I flipped my sweatshirt over it until I walked out of the store. One other time a CC'er asked me if my gun should be concealed. I said, "Nope". He said, "Well, I carry mine concealed". I just ignored it.

Been carrying for two years and that is the extent of my negative experiences.

4. By policy I carry concealed, no matter the temperature.

With that said, I carry the same guns in the winter as in summer off duty. BTW: Summer here is 9 months out of the year, hint, hint. Here's a few of the combo's I have used over the years:

4" N-Frame Revolver and J-Frame "snubbie"
    Glock 19 and J-Frame
    Glock 19 and Kahr PM9
    3" GP100 and 2 1/4" SP101 and J-Frame
    5" 1911 and J-Frame
    BHP and J-Frame

The BHP, Browning High Power, is my current off duty gun with the J-Frame. I learned a long time ago how to "dress around the gun" and use a good quality Belt and Holster. 90% of my holsters are IWB's by people like Sparks, Rosen, del Fatti and Kramer. The list of makers would be what a smart man would call a "clue". I also use their Belts. People are usually amazed at how big a gun I tend to carry, given as how small I am in stature. Where there's a will, there is a way, and I don't carry in a Briefcase.

The reason I mention all this is to encourage you to look at your mode of dress and quality of gear. Don't "short-change" yourself by carrying a smaller gun than you should because, and you will have to trust me on this one, when the fecal matter hits the rotating thingie the Duty Size gun is easier to shoot well.

Biker

First it all depends on your body shape. I am a fairly large guy and so far my waist is smaller than my shoulders so I can carry an IWB full size gun and a cover shirt un-tucked with no problem. I carry everything from a SP101 in thunderwear to a full size XD45 in my IWB holster. Remember a carry gun may not be comfortable, but comforting. Carry the largest caliber you can handle (shoot fast and accurate) and conceal. For me I carry 357mag, 357 SIG, 45 ACP. I am not discounting the smaller calibers like 9mm, but as a combat vet from Iraq I can tell you that 9mm ball is not that great and a 380 is less than 9mm so I would not recommend anything under 9mm. I am not saying that a 25acp won't kill you, but the attacker might kill you before the attacker dies or is no longer a threat!
    I live in Kentucky and we have all four seasons here. I would tell you that if you do carry IWB in the summer you may want to consider Kydex because sweat does not go thru Kydex. I don't know if this helps, but fannypacks are great too.
    "Lord make me fast and accurate" from the Patriot

6. Quote Originally Posted by Cari A. View Post
    Can some of you direct me to what a few smaller weapons look like? Are there web sites or links you can direct me to? I am curious as to what they are, as I may approach the husband about buying a smaller weapon for me when summer comes.
    try Mouseguns.Com New Index (no kidding, that's the sites name). They have information o'plenty

All great replies, I learned a lot and did some looking around at some very nice weapons too. BikerRN, read what you wrote and you have a point. I am a tall woman, 5'9" and while I have some nice curves, I am not "fat" and can quickly pull from the holster at my right hip and take aim.

I am a farm girl, I can usually be found in jeans, lace up ropers and t-shirts in the summer. Winter I dress about the same but have a sweatshirt on if I am cold or going out so I can just as easily carry concealed. I think part of my problem is I need to be more comfortable than I already am with my weapon and carry it more than I currently do.

Great sites too, loved looking at all the clothing and holsters and "toys".

8. Quote Originally Posted by sfcfister View Post
    First I am not discounting the smaller calibers like 9mm, but as a combat vet from Iraq I can tell you that 9mm ball is not that great
    This is why no one should carry ball ammo for Self Defense. Good Hollow Point self defense ammo is amazingly better these days than what we had just a few years ago.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cari A. View Post
    All great replies, I learned a lot and did some looking around at some very nice weapons too. BikerRN, read what you wrote and you have a point. I am a tall woman, 5'9" and while I have some nice curves, I am not "fat" and can quickly pull from the holster at my right hip and take aim.
    This thread is useless without pictures!

Crazy Horse Lady:

One of the reasons for a concealed carry is the tactic of surprise. Quite a few people claim a perpetrator will eliminate an obvious threat first. If someone conducts a crime while you are near, and they see you are armed, you are likely to be one of their first targets.

A local woman with a CCW permit told a story: she stopped at an empty rest stop, and entered the rest room with her handgun concealed. When she came out, a burly man waited to assault her, but when she pulled the gun, he went away, mumbling curses.

She felt strongly that, had he known she had a handgun when she walked into the restroom, that he would have struck her as she exited, disarming her.

It might be best, even if you are proud that you carry, to conceal that fact.
    Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our enemies to have guns, why should we allow them to have ideas? [Stalin]

Cari,
    I carry the same w/ me year round - Glock 30. What has worked for me might for you seeing as we both seem to be "country, jeans & a flannel" style. I have found that carrying in the heat w/my shirt untucked is uncomfortable against my bare side. So, what I personally found to work is wearing a muscle shirt {( or known to some as a wife beater.... sorry) my wife isnt sure how to take that one, lol! ** tucked into my pants, and on top of that wear a regular shirt. The base shirt is minimal fabric, and rather thin, so I really don't notice it. If you are worried about the printing, wear a shirt w/ a pattern so it breaks up the printing of the weapon. I can even get away w/ a button down unbuttoned over top instead of a t-shirt.

Good luck, mot
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast