summer time carry
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: summer time carry

summer time carry

I was wondering, as I am still new to gun ownership, what one would say once summer comes and you open carry? What I mean is, currently because it is so cold, I wear a tshirt tucked into my jeans then my pistol then a sweatshirt over that. Come summer, as I will still carry, it will be more open and while some of VA is all for carrying of a fire arm and our 2nd amendment rights others are not.

What would you say or handle if someone shows distaste or open hostility that you are exercising your rights? I am proud of the fact I took all the steps necessary to carry and my ability to shoot and to field strip and yes, even get over my fear of a fire arm or any weapon really. Long story there.

in the winter i carry a sig 220 full size, during the summer i carry a smith and wesson j frame with a set of collins lip grips and just leave my shirt untucked. even in the event someone see's it so little showing above the belt that its nearly impossible to tell what it is. the only downfall ive found is sweat make's the alluminum frame corrode. i plan to rectify this by getting one of those new ruger polymer revolvers with a set of lip grips

I carry a Glock 19 .9mm all the time in a Blackhawk duty type holster. I can see in the summer the metal part that lays against my hip would get a bit sweaty...I can leave my shirt untucked and put it over the pistol but you will see it's outline..

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cari A. View Post

What would you say or handle if someone shows distaste or open hostility that you are exercising your rights?
    They usually won't confront you, they will just call the cops, which in nothing more than a slight inconvenience as long as you're legal. I never go to great efforts to conceal, but I rarely open carry. Usually a belt or paddle with an un-tucked shirt or jacket covering it. I'm not really worried if someone sees it.

Unfortunately in South Florida the opposite circumstance exists. It is "summer" nearly all the time and in Florida Concealed MEANS Concealed.

Open carry is not allowed at all, and having a portion of your firearm exposed, even in a "flash" can net you charges (that is really the only bad part of our carry laws). So here, a full size weapon is really hard to deal with and even smaller guns can become a problem.

Personally because I am in shorts and shirt most of the time and prefer to tuck my shirt, I have gone to a .380 (either a P-3AT or an LCP) and pocket carry it, right front pocket in a guru convertible holster.

I do carry my PM-9 IWB on occasion, I have the cross-breed super tuck holster which is both really comfortable and allows you to tuck a shirt, even if it is the wierdest looking holster out there. When it gets cold enough (rarely) for a coat, I may carry my full size Beretta, but mostly it resides bedside or in a fanny pack if I am going to "bad" areas.

7. Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Unfortunately in South Florida the opposite circumstance exists. It is "summer" nearly all the time and in Florida Concealed MEANS Concealed.
    In that case, I would probably use a concealment T. Replace some buttons on your favorite shirts with velcro and the gun is fairly easy to get to in a hurry. If accidental exposure were an issue here, I would not belt carry at all. Accidental exposure is just too easy.

I always carry concealed, I don't care for open carry unless on the trail. Always pocket carry with a mousegun, either my LCP or Beretta 21A. Neither one prints in jeans or shorts so I never worry about it.

I've never been one to have to carry the biggest bore on the street. I spent nearly 50 years in Los Angeles with some of the nastiest gang problems and crime, and never carried there so carrying anything here is a positive.

Can some of you direct me to what a few smaller weapons look like? Are there web sites or links you can direct me to? I am curious as to what they are, as I may approach the husband about buying a smaller weapon for me when summer comes.

wolfhunter Guest

I posted this for someone wanting to carry in a kilt. This might be helpful if you wear skirts and dresses in the summer.Handgun holsters designed to conceal your handgun in a concealed carry holster system
    Andrew

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast