Unpaid Speeding Ticket and Carry Permit - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Unpaid Speeding Ticket and Carry Permit

  1. #11
    I doubt that TN would even check with other states on traffic tickets so I would be willing to bet the actual ticket would be no problem. However if you have a fugitive warrant against you for the ticket it may show up and that is much more than just the traffic ticket.

    One more word of advice is don't get pulled over in Indiana. Were you a TN resident at the time or an IN resident? If it hasn't shown up on a NICS check it ptobably won't on a TN background check. Let's see a $25 ticket from 11 years ago with penalties, interest, court costs, warrant fees you sould be able to settle for about $4,000 now.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Were you a TN resident at the time or an IN resident?
    I was and still am a TN resident.

    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    If it hasn't shown up on a NICS check it ptobably won't on a TN background check.
    This is my thought exactly. I've recently purchased a firearm and passed the NICS as late a November 2008. If I passed that, then the TBI likely won't do MORE investigation, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Let's see a $25 ticket from 11 years ago with penalties, interest, court costs, warrant fees you sould be able to settle for about $4,000 now.
    OMG! Are you serious? I was thinking that if I really had to pay it, I'd be out maybe $200 - $300...but $4K is a lot. If what you say is true, I'll not be settling up on that until absolutely necessary...and a permit does not a necessity make. And, BTW, the original ticket was for 5 MPH over and cost $110! Got me for 60 in a 55.
    ~David~

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    I was and still am a TN resident.


    This is my thought exactly. I've recently purchased a firearm and passed the NICS as late a November 2008. If I passed that, then the TBI likely won't do MORE investigation, right?


    OMG! Are you serious? I was thinking that if I really had to pay it, I'd be out maybe $200 - $300...but $4K is a lot. If what you say is true, I'll not be settling up on that until absolutely necessary...and a permit does not a necessity make. And, BTW, the original ticket was for 5 MPH over and cost $110! Got me for 60 in a 55.
    LOL - I am kidding about the $4K. I have no idea but $110 for 5 over is BS. In SC they usually give you 5 on most roads and 10 on the Interstate. I have know people being pulled for 6 over but never 5. Years ago states did not share information at all but the insurance companies put pressure on them to do it. I have know people that were banned from driving in NC but SC didn't care one bit. As long as they didn't get caught driving in NC they were fine but if they did then off to jail they went.

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I have no idea but $110 for 5 over is BS.
    See. My point exactly. Not to mention how they trapped me into it. Wait, stop! I'm getting all pissed again.

    (deep breath)

    At any rate, I think I'll take my chances and see what happens.
    ~David~

  6. #15
    se7en, don't do it! You still have your driver's license, don't you? I had an old ticket once, went into a police station, and told some jerk. He pretended to find something on the computer. I was booked, insulted, and fingerprinted while being insulted, even though I was perfectly courteous the whole time. I had to stay behind a locked door until somebody came to pay bail. Later, went to court, plead guilty, and was fined $5 plus "cost of court".
    I was young and foolish at the time. I believe they had lost the record, and I went thru a bunch of crap and expense just to add a blemish to my driving record.
    Isn't there a statute of limitations for such a minor 'offense'?

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by defender829 View Post
    Isn't there a statute of limitations for such a minor 'offense'?
    I read somewhere online (not a good source of fact) that it was either 5 or 10 years. I also read where there isn't a SOL. If it happens to be one of the 5-10 year variety, I'm good. It was 11 years ago. Still, though, I did pass the NICS check, so that in itself should indicate something, right? Meaning, there are no outstanding warrants on me...
    ~David~

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Green Valley (Henderson) NV
    Posts
    853
    If the ticket went to a warrant, it would be a prohibiting condition for a Nevada CFP. You can pass a NICS check with a misdemeanor DUI or controlled substance conviction.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    If the ticket went to a warrant, it would be a prohibiting condition for a Nevada CFP. You can pass a NICS check with a misdemeanor DUI or controlled substance conviction.
    So wait. You can receive a warrant for an unpaid speeding and/or parking ticket and therefore be denied the right to possess a firearm. However, you can get approved for a firearm with a convicted DUI charge or other controlled substance? How f'd up is that?
    ~David~

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Green Valley (Henderson) NV
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    So wait. You can receive a warrant for an unpaid speeding and/or parking ticket and therefore be denied the right to possess a firearm. However, you can get approved for a firearm with a convicted DUI charge or other controlled substance? How f'd up is that?
    No, that's to get a Nevada CFP.

    If you have a traffic warrant it may affect your ability to pass a NICS check depending on how it shows up. If it shows up as you being a fugitive from justice then yes it will result in being denied under NICS. It will result in a denial of your Nevada CFP until the warrant is cleared. If there's a warrant it should result in you being denied under NICS even if it's a traffic or parking cite as you are technically a fugitive from justice. It also depends on what traffic and parking cites are considered to be. If they are civil infractions and not a crime per se then it will not show up on a NICS check or affect your ability to get a CCW unless the issuing authority looks beyond your criminal background and at your driving record.

    If you have a misdemeanor DUI or controlled substance conviction it will not preclude you from passing a NICS check, it will preclude you from getting a Nevada CFP if the conviction is not at least five years old.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

  11. #20
    Okay. Now I understand what you meant.

    Using me as the example, I passed the NICS check, therefore I SHOULD, and I use that loosely, receive the carry permit. Or at least that's a positive sign that apparently there is no warrant on me in Indiana, right?
    ~David~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast