Unpaid Speeding Ticket and Carry Permit - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Unpaid Speeding Ticket and Carry Permit

1. I am fromTX and am thinking about getting my VA CCP but I have an unpaid speeding ticket from 2006. Will they deny my application bc of that?

3. Denial of CCP in VA BC of speeding?

I am fromTX and am thinking about getting my VA CCP but I have an unpaid speeding ticket from 2006. Will they deny my application bc of that?

Go own up to your speeding ticket, then you wont be asking this question.

Check out this site for a possible answer to your question: LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
    and if your really unsure contact a lawyer in VA who is pro-gun, also check out this site: Handgunlaw.us

Good Luck, It can be really hard to obtain correct facts on the webb and never take what you recieve from anyones posts as a 100% fact, do your home work yourself.

6. Denial of CCP in VA BC of speeding?

Lol, I would gladly have paid the ticket if I had gotten one. I was visiting and received a court summons that I could not appear for as I was back in TX by then. Now they want $2000. Yeah I'll just not drive in VA anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Texanbygodsgrace View Post
    Lol, I would gladly have paid the ticket if I had gotten one. I was visiting and received a court summons that I could not appear for as I was back in TX by then. Now they want $2000. Yeah I'll just not drive in VA anymore.
    You might look into AZ CCW. It takes a couple a months to get, but cheaper than VA and covers more States. Your ticket as long it was a misdemeanor, and not an active warrant, you may be able to cut a deal on the price just for them to clear it from the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Texanbygodsgrace View Post
    If they want $2000, you can be pretty sure they have a warrant out for you. So if you arent planning on owning up to it, you should probably stay out of their state.

Quote Originally Posted by bob steadman View Post
    You might look into AZ CCW. It takes a couple a months to get, but cheaper than VA and covers more States. Your ticket as long it was a misdemeanor, and not an active warrant, you may be able to cut a deal on the price just for them to clear it from the system.
    I recently got an AZ permit in two weeks, mailbox to mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    Check the two states for reciprocity. If they honor each others permits it is likely to come up. If not, it's unlikely. States aren't usually willing to go out of their way for states which don't reciprocate and do stuff for them.

Also, some states the law says a misdemeanor disqualifies you for a gun permit, while some like here, assachusetts, you're only supposed to be denied if you have a felony or drug conviction. But since its upt to the police chief of the city you reside in, they can deny you by saying you have "disregard for the law" for any stupid little thing.

See if the two states reciprocate.
    Good enough answer for me. The only thing that bothers me is your comment about why you did not pay the ticket--pardon me sir, but it is not up to you to decide these matters and that attitude, even though it may be many years ago, is not what I consider to be the responsible action on your part. Whether anyone in your jurisdiction plays hardball on this unpaid ticket---kindly remember it was your fault.

I believe there is a statute of limitations on misdemeanors. Years ago, the SOL in Oklahoma was 7 years. I believe in Texas it is the same. Not sure, but I think a speeding ticket would come under that heading.
    For people in the U.S. military, there is a thing called the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). According to the UCMJ, any charge that isn't a violation that would cause a General Court Martial, the Statute of Limitations is 5 years.
    (Just read Page 3, where the retired police officer from Florida posted. Thanks for clearing things up for us...)
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast