5 Shot at First Baptist Church in Illinois - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Shot at First Baptist Church in Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Cari A. View Post
    At first I wondered why anyone would conceal carry or otherwise in a church, after this I have since changed my mind as this is such a tragedy! How horrible those folks in that church were there to find peace and serenity and this f*cktard came and changed their day and lives forever! And it is probably going to be some selfish senseless reason like he was depressed or had a bad day or something else...

How about the simple answer; He was some whack job with a gun.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Hopefully this will make some of the states that don't allow church carry to reconsider. I know Arkansas is considering allowing church carry with the Pastor's permission at this time.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

GF May not be too far off... CBS News is reporting that
    (Preacher Slay Suspect Was Mentally Ill - CBS News)
    the 27 yr Old is a "Avid Hunter" and may have contracted Lyme disease. This by no way excuses his actions, and it may be still too early to fully understand what was truely going on.

With more and more churches being attached, it is time to address church property as pistol free zones. Here in PRMI, churches are to be considered off limits unless otherwise approved.

Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    Hopefully this will make some of the states that don't allow church carry to reconsider. I know Arkansas is considering allowing church carry with the Pastor's permission at this time.
    Same here in Ohio - you can carry w/ pastor's consent
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". ~George Orwell / Rudyard Kipling

yeah I heard today that the man had lyme disease too and it was screwing with his brain.. still. again we hear of a crazy guy with a gun and defenseless people without a gun to fight back with.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

7. We should be able to carry anywhere with a valid permit. Makes you wonder why they don't want you carrying in some of these places. IE: The feds don't want you carrying on fed property. What are they doing that has them so worried that someone will pull out a gun and shoot them? If you're worried about getting shot, instead of banning guns, stop doing whatever it is you're doing that makes people want to shoot you.

Take the above understanding that bans only disarm the honest people who would not be on the wrong side of a shooting in the first place. Carry on any private property, including a church should be left up to the land owner. If they don't want you carrying, they can respectfully request that you leave, but it shouldn't be a law.

Quote Originally Posted by Cari A. View Post
    At first I wondered why anyone would conceal carry or otherwise in a church, after this I have since changed my mind as this is such a tragedy! How horrible those folks in that church were there to find peace and serenity and this f*cktard came and changed their day and lives forever! And it is probably going to be some selfish senseless reason like he was depressed or had a bad day or something else...
    Yeah the dude had lyme disease. I find it ironic it happened in Obama's home state where concealed carry is unlawful!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Still Searching for answers....
    Motive for Ill. church killing suspect elusive...~

Maybe GF was correct in his post... Just a wacko... Reports are starting to surface that Lyme Disease would not cause of mental issues...

The Associated Press: Motive for Ill. church killing suspect elusive

Motive for Ill. church killing suspect elusive
    By JIM SUHR 2 hours ago
    MARYVILLE, Ill. (AP) Terry J. Sedlacek was called a quiet teen who washed dishes and helped prepare food at his family's restaurant. After a hospitalization during which he almost died, he became known for odd behavior, such as making barking noises. His body would sometimes jerk.
    Verna Gilley, a former cook at the Key Galaxy Restaurant in Alhambra, said Sedlacek never was threatening nothing like the man prosecutors charged Monday with gunning down a Baptist pastor in the middle of his Sunday sermon and then stabbing two congregants.
    Neither Madison County prosecutors nor Illinois State Police commented on a possible motive, or whether Sedlacek even knew the Rev. Fred Winters, a married father of two who led the First Baptist Church for nearly 22 years.
    "We're still not sure what the reasoning was," said Illinois State Police Lt. Scott Compton, who added investigators had not yet interviewed Sedlacek on Monday afternoon.
    However, authorities say Sedlacek appeared to have planned the attack, since he referred to Sunday as "death day" on a planner found in his Troy home and he carried enough ammunition to kill 30 people.
    Madison County State's Attorney William Mudge did not have any other details on the day planner entry.
    "The only thing I can really comment on is he came armed with many rounds of ammunition and a knife, and I think we can surmise that more bloodshed may have occurred," Mudge said.
    Sedlacek, 27, of Troy, was charged Monday with first-degree murder and aggravated battery. He was ordered held without bail.
    He remained in serious condition Tuesday in Saint Louis University Hospital's intensive-care unit, said hospital spokeswoman Laura Keller.
    Sedlacek's attorney, Ron Slemer, told the Belleville News-Democrat that his client has deteriorated both mentally and physically since contracting Lyme disease.
    But Dr. Eugene Shapiro, a Lyme disease expert at Yale University, said it would be unlikely that the tick-borne illness would make someone so violent. "Lyme disease doesn't cause people to shoot people," Shapiro said.
    None of the 150 worshippers attending the Sunday service seemed to recognize Sedlacek, and investigators did not know details of words he exchanged with Winters just before he allegedly began firing. They planned to review an audio recording of the service.
    Sedlacek had 10 rounds of ammunition in a handgun and was carrying two more 10-round magazines in his pocket at First Baptist on Sunday, said Mudge. The .45-caliber Glock jammed after four shots were fired at Winters.
    Mudge said it appeared Sedlacek may have arrived at the church, about four miles from his home, as early as 5:30 a.m., partly because his Jeep was in a parking space close to a door in the crowded parking lot.
    The first bullet was deflected by a Bible held by Winters, 45, but a subsequent shot struck him in the heart.
    That first bullet exploded Winters' Bible, sending a confetti-like spray of paper into the air in a horrifying scene worshippers initially thought was a skit, police said. Witnesses said Winters managed to run halfway down the sanctuary's side aisle before collapsing.
    An autopsy found Winters was hit by one bullet that went straight through his heart, said Madison County Coroner Steve Nonn.
    Authorities said Sedlacek stabbed himself in the throat while being wrestled to the ground by two congregants, who also suffered knife wounds.
    A 39-year-old congregant, Terry Bullard, was upgraded to fair condition Tuesday. The third victim, Keith Melton, was treated and released.
    Slemer said his client's family is "very sorry for the pastor's congregation." First Baptist Associate Pastor Mark Jones said one of the church's pastors visited with Sedlacek's family Monday.
    "We actually pray for him," Jones said.
    Semper Fi

When all else fails blame the ticks.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Now HK that would out right Tick me off.....

Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12