Application Denied... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Application Denied...

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    UT is may issue for drug offenses.
    I thought a state was Shall or May period. No background stipulations to change this. If you meet the requirements then you get a permit. UT app only asks...
    Have you ever been convicted of the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances?

    The only reference to being arrested is...

    Have you ever been arrested for any offense involving domestic violence?

    I still don't know if the OP is referring to an arrest or conviction. I think this is an important distinction.
    Jeff
    "I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill!"
    Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 12gauge pump (my favorite )

  2.   
  3. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrt202 View Post
    Yes, it was a first offense, for pot, in SC. And it was before i got my cwp here. It seems like if SC would still issue a permit, that it would be good enough to qualify for others. It is a misdemeanor, after all. Really no more serious than a speeding ticket. Until this.
    The laws the states have on Concealed Carry appear not to have rhyme or reason. Missouri will issue if you a misdemeanor conviction, controlled substance, that is older than 5 years. Wyoming is one state that does not honor Missouri, curious about this I wrote the Wyoming Attorney Generalís office inquiring why Missouri was not a recognized since their law stated they would recognize any valid out of state CCW and this seemed contradictory. Got a nice reply, simply stating that Missouri would issue to a person with a misdemeanor controlled substance conviction, Wyoming would not, therefore not recognize Missouri. Now if I understand you SC will issue under those circumstances and Wyoming does in fact recognize SC CCW permits. What sense does that make? ? Is it possible to get your record expunged, were you under 18 at the time?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Green Valley (Henderson) NV
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I thought a state was Shall or May period. No background stipulations to change this. If you meet the requirements then you get a permit. UT app only asks...
    Have you ever been convicted of the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances?

    The only reference to being arrested is...

    Have you ever been arrested for any offense involving domestic violence?

    I still don't know if the OP is referring to an arrest or conviction. I think this is an important distinction.
    Yes, and the 4473 also asks you if you meet the requirements to legally purchase firearms under the GCA of 1968. FFLs are instructed not to transfer the firearm if any prohibiting question has a yes answer regardless of the results of the NICS check.

    A State is shall issue if you meet their statutory issuance requirements for issuance. If you do not, they can either deny or the application becomes may issue depending on the State. If you have controlled substance convictions, I strongly recommend you contact Utah BCI and discuss what you need to do to be issued their CFP. Controlled substance convictions are one of those denial hot potatoes in many States.

    If you do not meet the requirements set forth under UCA 53-3-704 it's at the descretion of UT BCI if you meet the "good character" requirement for a Utah CFP.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    ...A State is shall issue if you meet their statutory issuance requirements for issuance. If you do not, they can either deny or the application becomes may issue depending on the State...

    If you do not meet the requirements set forth under UCA 53-3-704 it's at the descretion of UT BCI if you meet the "good character" requirement for a Utah CFP.
    OK, I see the distinction.

    I'm applying to Utah for non resident and I have a 1996 arrest for pot possession. I was never booked, cited, fingerprinted, or even in the police car. But apparently it is on the books as an arrest. No conviction. I don't see this as not meeting their statutory issuance requirements for issuance.
    Jeff
    "I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill!"
    Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 12gauge pump (my favorite )

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Green Valley (Henderson) NV
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I'm applying to Utah for non resident and I have a 1996 arrest for pot possession. I was never booked, cited, fingerprinted, or even in the police car. But apparently it is on the books as an arrest. No conviction. I don't see this as not meeting their statutory issuance requirements for issuance.
    Arrests typically do not count against you. I would get the final disposition documents pertaining to the arrest before applying. If you don't, they may kick it back asking for them. This is common if you have a blemish on your record that has arrests but no convictions. The issuing agency asks for this to verify that it indeed was just an arrest and not a conviction.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Columbia, SC
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    What made you choose New Hampshire?
    I'm guessing it's because NH has reciprocity with Ga. and Alabama while SC doesn't. I'll be going through my training class and testing this Saturday and will also be sending an application to NH after I receive my SC CWP.

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ipchay61 View Post
    I'm guessing it's because NH has reciprocity with Ga. and Alabama while SC doesn't. I'll be going through my training class and testing this Saturday and will also be sending an application to NH after I receive my SC CWP.
    Well my first thought was that Florida was closer and included more states but then I did my homework using the resources here. The non resident NH is only $20 and will be issued or denied in two weeks. Now I see.

    Personally, I'm adding Utah to my New Mexico permit in order to get the most states covered.
    Jeff
    "I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill!"
    Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 12gauge pump (my favorite )

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    Well my first thought was that Florida was closer and included more states but then I did my homework using the resources here. The non resident NH is only $20 and will be issued or denied in two weeks. Now I see.

    Personally, I'm adding Utah to my New Mexico permit in order to get the most states covered.
    All of that. I read about it in Grassroots a couple months back.
    I just would like to be covered in Georgia and Alabama because i have family there and i carry when i'm traveling, especially since i have to meet the ex in Atlanta for visitation with my minor children.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast