Looking for advice on knife selection - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on knife selection

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
    Now that I are a legal CCW-er type guy, I'm looking at my "less than lethal" options, too - most notably, a knife. State laws forbid carrying anything with more than a 4" blade. I've pretty much decided upon a folding tanto. If my pockets were bottomless, I'd just buy a benchmade and be done with it, but I'm on a budget. I'l looking to keep it in the $60 range, and I'd like it to have a belt clip.

So.. any suggestions on a good folding tanto with less than 4" of blade and a belt clip in the $60 range?
    I gotta go with Benchmade. Even though the prices are on the high side.. I own 4 now and I'm looking at the Barage 580 full size for the next purchase. I also have 2 Kershaw knives I'm fond of.

Knives work for close encounters when wrestling with a loaded gun could end badly. Plus they work real nice if grabbed from behind and a neck hold is applied. Many other applications where a good knife can be a life saver.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Weapon Retention

I cannot attribute this quote to the correct author. Aproximately ten years ago I read an article in a gun magazine on weapon retention, in it there was one quote that realy stood out.

When other weapon retention techniques just won't cut it, a knife will, litterally.
    That truism had a certain resonance to it.

personaly i want to get a spyder co police model, but its about $100 dollars. ive heard its well worth the extra money, but im still unsure on it. i have a master cutlery 5" and it was about $20 bucks, but has stood the tests ive given it over the last 2 years and holds an edge. good luck!

I think carrying a knife is not a bad idea but not sure I would consider it less lethal. Limited because you have to be up close and personal to use it but it can be as lethal or more so than a gun at close range.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wolfling68 View Post
    OK, this is a bit off topic, but, why a knife?? ......
    This was my first thought when he said "less lethal" A knife seems pretty lethal to me. I carry Fox Labs pepper spray and sometimes a stun gun. Lots of good reviews on the Fox pepper spray compared to other brands on it's stopping power. A keychain one goes with me everywhere. After all, how often do you not have your keys? And can go into most places a gun isn't allowed

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
    Now that I are a legal CCW-er type guy, I'm looking at my "less than lethal" options, too - most notably, a knife. State laws forbid carrying anything with more than a 4" blade. I've pretty much decided upon a folding tanto. If my pockets were bottomless, I'd just buy a benchmade and be done with it, but I'm on a budget. I'l looking to keep it in the $60 range, and I'd like it to have a belt clip.

So.. any suggestions on a good folding tanto with less than 4" of blade and a belt clip in the $60 range?
    I would like to recomend the kershaw black blurTactical Knife was designed by Ken Onion. features a 3 3/8" part serrated Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel modified tanto blade with black Tungsten DLC coat, dual thumb studs for ambidextrous one hand opening, and Speed-Safe assist. 6061T6 aluminum handle has a black anodized finish.I carry this all the time and I paid $57.00 dollars for it at walmart.

What about some personal self-destruct mechanism for when all else fails? You know, the "if I'm gonna die you are too" option. Maybe a belt of hand-grenades with a string through all the pins? Honestly, you guys are too much.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    What about some personal self-destruct mechanism for when all else fails? You know, the "if I'm gonna die you are too" option. Maybe a belt of hand-grenades with a string through all the pins? Honestly, you guys are too much.

To much? Have you not heard "don't put all your eggs in one basket"?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    If I'm in a situation in which it's possible that I'm going to be bested and my life could end. The other guy is going to need to seek medical attention for some injury. I'm not inclined to go quietly. I'm not invincible nor is anyone else on this site. Mortality is the reality. If I face someone who has the intent to take my life, well I'm not inclined to give it up without some serious resistance.

Quote from Unforgiven spoken by Clint Eastwood as the character Will Munny: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Hope it never comes to that...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    To much? Have you not heard "don't put all your eggs in one basket"?
    Come on, some of the people on this site are frightening even me. Badges, flex cuffs, flashlights, a back-up gun, quick-open knives, some guy who wants to carry his swords. What's next? The nuclear football?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast