Looking for advice on knife selection - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on knife selection

I feel if you are going to carry a weapon a tactical light is in order. It is always a plus to be able to see what you are shooting at plus the extreme bright light can work in your favor when shined in the eyes. As far as a back up gun many if not most of the good teachers are in favor of a bug. I have read articles by Massad Ayoob, Jim Crillo. Gabe Saurez just to name a few that sing the praises of a bug.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    What's next? The nuclear football?
    Unfortunately the AFL season was cancelled last year.

A knife is a very good idea to carry...ESPECIALLY if you are concealed carrying. I always carry a knife opposite my carry side. If you get into a situation where you firearm may get compromised (eg. bg grabbing for it, etc.) then you have your opposite hand to defend from it while the strong side hand continues to control the firearm. Example: in a life defending situation you go for your firearm, BG gets to your hand before you can unholster, you grab your knife out of your off hand pocket and remove their hands from your hand/gun with one smooth movement. a stroke of a knife across a wrist or top of the hand has a profound effect on someones thought process as well as their hand function. My goal in that situation is not to stab them in the chest or some other area or even use the knife as an attack tool in any way, the goal is to retain possesion of my firearm and get it (gun) to a usable position.
    Never had to use my gun, never want to use my gun, will not hesitate to use my gun.

5. Quote Originally Posted by cgnavarro View Post
    If you're looking for quality steel on a budget, I think CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool) is an excellent bet for you. They produce quality knives at an excellent price. Their Kit Carson designed M-16 series comes to mind when considering your requirements. I would also suggest you give a read through a book called "Street Steel" by Michale Janich. It is an excellent resource for someone looking to purchase and carry a knife for self defense. Using a knife for this purpose requires some skill and training, just as with a handgun. I would also suggest taking some training in this area if you're serious about using a knife as a back-up.
    Add my vote for the CRKT knives!!

I carry an M21-04 (the big brother of the M16 series with a smooth edge) daily in my off side pocket. The M21 is laid out with 4 different points to mount the belt clip (both the left and right sides have points to attach it at each end).

It sharpens well (not fast but well and that's a good thing) and edge retention is very good.

I've been carrying a knives since I was about 6 years old and I've carried everything from cheapo made in Pakistan lockblade to custom Damascus fixed blades (Bromely out in Spokane makes some pretty Damascus, FYI) and I choose to carry the CRKT daily over the Kershaws, Gerbers, Benchmades, SOG's, Cold Steele and heaven only knows what else that's sitting in the drawer or in the safe.

6. Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Come on, some of the people on this site are frightening even me. Badges, flex cuffs, flashlights, a back-up gun, quick-open knives, some guy who wants to carry his swords. What's next? The nuclear football?
    The guy's wanting to find a folding knife to carry and it scares YOU?

The guy that was wondering about affordable BODY ARMOR that he could wear daily a couple weeks ago?

Really? A pocket knife is more worrisome to you than the idea of running around armored up?

I gotta agree about the badges, flashlights, back up guns, batons, mace, stun guns ... There's a whole bunch of Tactical Ted wannabes running around here that seem to have the misconception that a concealed carry permit makes them Super Secret Police Detectives or something. If they actually run around with half the stuff that's talked about on them, it's amazing they don't clank when they walk.

I carry a knife or two (usually 2) because I always have. I'm an East Alabama redneck that grew up in a trailer park or in an old house adjacent to one. Where I come from, by the time you were big enough to use the big boy toilet, somebody had given you a pocket knife (granted, it was duller than a butter knife for obvious reasons but you were carrying it). In school, folks didn't get cut up. I can remember 1 cutting in like 6 years but that guy was crazy anyhow. If it wasn't him slicing a guy's arm (about 5 stitches on the outside and 3 inside), he would have used a bat or half a brick on somebody. He was seriously disturbed and ended up locked up. The teachers borrowed our knives if they need one. I had the school principal get me out of English class to borrow the 3 blade stocksman I carried in my front pocket during my Junior year because he was working on the PA system and needed a knife. I got it back at the end of the day and he called me to his office the next morning so I pick up HIS pocket knife to sharpen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
    Now that I are a legal CCW-er type guy, I'm looking at my "less than lethal" options, too - most notably, a knife. State laws forbid carrying anything with more than a 4" blade. I've pretty much decided upon a folding tanto. If my pockets were bottomless, I'd just buy a benchmade and be done with it, but I'm on a budget. I'l looking to keep it in the $60 range, and I'd like it to have a belt clip.

So.. any suggestions on a good folding tanto with less than 4" of blade and a belt clip in the $60 range?
    I have a SOG Pentagon Elite with a Shark Tooth Tip. It is smooth and quick.

If you want a Tanto:

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools TF-7 Trident Tanto, Black TiNi: Home Improvement
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

8. Gotta go with the sharpest knives from the factory, and probably the biggest tanto fans in the US: Cold Steel

Here's a link to their 4" Tanto, in serrated, for $63. I have a bunch of these, highly recommend them.

Amazon.com: Cold Steel Voyager XL Tanto Point Plain Md: 29XT.: Sports & Outdoors

They are sharp and strong. Use it in the reverse grip.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    The guy's wanting to find a folding knife to carry and it scares YOU?

The guy that was wondering about affordable BODY ARMOR that he could wear daily a couple weeks ago?

Really? A pocket knife is more worrisome to you than the idea of running around armored up?

I gotta agree about the badges, flashlights, back up guns, batons, mace, stun guns ... There's a whole bunch of Tactical Ted wannabes running around here that seem to have the misconception that a concealed carry permit makes them Super Secret Police Detectives or something. If they actually run around with half the stuff that's talked about on them, it's amazing they don't clank when they walk.

I carry a knife or two (usually 2) because I always have. I'm an East Alabama redneck that grew up in a trailer park or in an old house adjacent to one. Where I come from, by the time you were big enough to use the big boy toilet, somebody had given you a pocket knife (granted, it was duller than a butter knife for obvious reasons but you were carrying it). In school, folks didn't get cut up. I can remember 1 cutting in like 6 years but that guy was crazy anyhow. If it wasn't him slicing a guy's arm (about 5 stitches on the outside and 3 inside), he would have used a bat or half a brick on somebody. He was seriously disturbed and ended up locked up. The teachers borrowed our knives if they need one. I had the school principal get me out of English class to borrow the 3 blade stocksman I carried in my front pocket during my Junior year because he was working on the PA system and needed a knife. I got it back at the end of the day and he called me to his office the next morning so I pick up HIS pocket knife to sharpen.
    Sounds like fond memories.. Very cool.
    I had one of those folding knives with the fork and spoon in it. It was my pride and joy!!!
    At Boy Scout camp it came in handy...

I have 4 Benchmades, 2 Kershaws, 2 Swiss Army, 1 Schrade LB8, a Gerber bolt action, and a Buck or 2...

Can't beat a good knife...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Spyderco probably makes something to fit you. They're great knives for the money.

My biggest challenge each day is selecting my Knife du Jour.

NRA / TSRA

Who is John Galt?

Spyderco may have something to fit you. My biggest challenge each day is deciding on a Knife du Jour.

Oops, how'd that Benchmade get in there?
    NRA / TSRA

Who is John Galt?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast