Is this legal? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this legal?

I'm afraid, depending on the local "feelings" about guns one gets put in a defensive position by ignoring the sign.
    It would be up to the "offender" - i.e. large lawyer costs - to "prove" the sign was improperly posted.
    One of those situations where being right costs more than going with the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangba View Post
    Just getting started here. I thought I read somewhere that if you have to pay admission to any establishment in SC. you cannot carry consealed. True or false.
    False, but there is nothing to stop the sponser of the event from posting signs. If I charge admission to my place of business (assuming that I am not licenced to serve alcohol and my place of business is not a health care facility, religious sanctuary, or school) so that you can lift weights or watch others lift weights, you can carry concealed unless I choose to post signs.

Quote Originally Posted by vn6869 View Post
    I'm afraid, depending on the local "feelings" about guns one gets put in a defensive position by ignoring the sign.
    It would be up to the "offender" - i.e. large lawyer costs - to "prove" the sign was improperly posted.
    One of those situations where being right costs more than going with the situation.
    Yeah, a better way to challenge the illegally posted sign is to engage in dialog with the management, rather than risk any legal complications.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangba View Post
    Just getting started here. I thought I read somewhere that if you have to pay admission to any establishment in SC. you cannot carry consealed. True or false.
    False, it is in NC where that silly law applies.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    False, it is in NC where that silly law applies.
    Thanks for that clarification, I thought that either NC or GA had some kind a restriction like that.

Here is a sign in a Clarksville, TN Gas Station.

Notice it has a red & white sign mixed among other signs,
    that reads "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS".

That sign is NOT even close to being in compliance with the TN statute !

8. In Missouri, the sign really only indicates the building occupants desire that no weapons come in. If noticed, you may be told to leave and you may return w/o your weapon. If you don't follow this instruction, you're trespassing. The local Social Security office had an illegal sign posted on their door. When I went in (left my pistol in the car) with an empty holster, the guard got all fuzzed up. I informed him of the nonstandard signage and suggested if he intended to enforce it, he'd better get a legal notice posted. He was still hyped so I got my phone out and started taking pics of the sign. Next time I had to go to SS office, there was a proper sign and a different guard. Funny how the SS office needs an armed guard at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by shingman2 View Post
    I went to pay my cable bill the other day and I looked on the front of glass and door to see if it had a sign on it to not allow conceal weapons. It did not, so I went in I was waiting in line to pay bill and to my surprise on the wall inside the building, it had no concealable weapons. Boy was I surprised and had to go outside to car and disarm. Can this be upheld by law enforcement if I was caught with a weapon?
    As others have said it cannot. The signs have to be on every entrance of the building, between 40 and 60 inches from the floor/ground, and a particular design that is VERY specific.

One thing to be careful of though is that quite often the non-standard signs are on places where you can't carry legally anyway (medical offices, banks, bars, etc). I don't think the local cable provider is on that list.

BTW - Central, SC? I'm just down the road in Seneca.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    As others have said it cannot. The signs have to be on every entrance of the building, between 40 and 60 inches from the floor/ground, and a particular design that is VERY specific.

One thing to be careful of though is that quite often the non-standard signs are on places where you can't carry legally anyway (medical offices, banks, bars, etc). I don't think the local cable provider is on that list.

BTW - Central, SC? I'm just down the road in Seneca.
    Banks are also not on the list in SC. No problem carrying concealed in a bank. Any signs that are not code are meant for bad guys, not sheepdogs.

I lived in Seneca on Return Church road when we were at Clemson. Paradise!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123