Is this legal?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this legal?

Is this legal?

I went to pay my cable bill the other day and I looked on the front of glass and door to see if it had a sign on it to not allow conceal weapons. It did not, so I went in I was waiting in line to pay bill and to my surprise on the wall inside the building, it had no concealable weapons. Boy was I surprised and had to go outside to car and disarm. Can this be upheld by law enforcement if I was caught with a weapon?

I do not believe that it was properly displayed. Always carry never tell =)

But seriously, might want to check with an attorney.
    -Austin

Were you not wearing your Superman X-Ray glasses, so that to read through the walls???

Like Austin stated, better to check with someone who knows and understands the "laws"

From your location it says you are in SC so I assume you are. The answer is NO. For the signs to have legal status they must meet the proper size etc. and must be displayed on the doors.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 23 Chapter 31 Firearms - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS

Go down to 23-31-235 Sign requirements.

If the signs do not meet these standards then you can ignore them. No other signs count.

Thankyou !

I thankyou for all info!

I would think that would not work in any state.. how stupid is it to have the sign inside.. I mean if they are trying to keep armed people out.. why would they let them in before having the sign where it can be seen...
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

It's actually really funny when you read the sign requirements here in SC. The law was supposedly written by a gun totin' politician who wanted to make it such a pain to get the sign right, that you would be legal to carry most anywhere. Even a few banks have the sign wrong... I wouldn't push your luck, but there it is.
    "I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If the signs are posted correctly and you ignore them you can immediately be arrested for trespassing without any kind of warning. If the sings do not meet the code they can ask you to leave and if you refuse then they can call the police and let them sort it out. You then may be arrested for not leaving but it will have no standing on gun laws and be the same as if they asked you to leave and you did not have a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlarry View Post
    The law was supposedly written by a gun totin' politician who wanted to make it such a pain to get the sign right, that you would be legal to carry most anywhere.
    I don't see how one could get the signage law wrong if they actually read it. The law is very specific as to the nature of the sign and how it is posted. I am certainly not accusing anti-gunners of being intelligent, but this one is so simple even they should be able to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I don't see how one could get the signage law wrong if they actually read it. The law is very specific as to the nature of the sign and how it is posted. I am certainly not accusing anti-gunners of being intelligent, but this one is so simple even they should be able to get it right.
    You would be suprized:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast